DoDonPachi Resurrection September Tournament

Here's where you can arrange meet-ups and game nights on the platform of your choice.
KSubzero1000

DoDonPachi Resurrection September Tournament

Post by KSubzero1000 » August 28th, 2019, 7:25 pm

Okay, so we're going to be playing DoDonPachi Resurrection (on Xbox 360 & PC), and focusing on
Normal 1.5 Score Attack mode for now. Not to be confused with Normal 1.51! :roll:

Ship and shot style is completely up to you. Whatever you feel most comfortable with! There are important differences between them all, so feel free to experiment and choose carefully!

You can find explanations of the various mechanics here and more advanced strategies here, for example.

The tournament is currently planned to go until (and including) the 30th of September, although I'm sure that can be extended if necessary.

I don't think we should demand any hard evidence of scores, the honor system should be good enough for our community. But screenshots and videos are more than welcome! And for those playing on emulator: Please don't cheat. No save sates or other external features. :)

Don't forget to post your score whenever you feel like you've crossed a threshold! I'll try to update this post with everybody's highscores as soon as possible. Needless to say, everybody else is graciously invited to join in!

Alex79uk: 101,519,85X
clippa: 5,738,368,044
hazeredmist: 163,912,574
KSubzero1000: 2,784,511,666
Michiel K: 456,874,195
Stanshall: 1.6XX,XXX,XXX, allegedly

PS: Dope gif of the bullet cancelling mechanic and a high scoring video, courtesy of señor clippa:

Good luck everyone, have fun!

Stanshall

Re: DoDonPachi Resurrection September Tournament

Post by Stanshall » August 28th, 2019, 9:29 pm

Thanks for setting this up and for the links. Very interesting to see that my constant hypering is a terrible strategy, unlike in DOJ because it sends the rank soaring and diminishes the effects of the hyper. I'll try again tomorrow or this weekend without using it so much. Interesting stuff. Looking forward to this one!

clippa

Post by clippa » August 29th, 2019, 12:58 am

Stanshall wrote:
August 28th, 2019, 9:29 pm
Very interesting to see that my constant hypering is a terrible strategy
Doooo it! Cha cha cha. All or nothing, baby!
It's so much fun! Your chains can get nice and fat with all the bullet cancelling.

There's probably a word for it, but does your mind ever pick out english phrases while playing foreign games?
These are the few I have for this one.

When you're just about to start, it sounds like the announcer says "Jewish dignitary" and the first boss sounds she says "Please accept me"

Not as fun as the lasses in exceed 3rd shouting "Kit kat hotdog! Lenny Henry!" but every days not your birthday, young man.

One tip I will give, something I only figured out relatively recently, try it on the first boss, get a hyper ready, get up nice and close, set it off and during the invincibility frames just jump on it's face and watch you hyper meter charge straight back up ready for next time. Free hyper! Make sure you back up when you think the invincibility might be ending.

Also, something that someone told me during a reddit competition, if you set off a hyper just as the boss is about to die, it doesn't count towards the rank increasing for each hyper you set off on the next stage, so you've got like a free hyper at the start of the next stage.

Tappy tappy tapping the shot button during hypers to keep your chain going, cancelling the bullets, but not getting through to hit the enemies, try to keep them alive so they shoot more bullets.

Don't think I've got any other hot tips, but I'll post them if I think of any. Just getting back into it myself, and obviously, my way of playing won't be optimal. Just experiment for yourself or read up on it or watch videos if you want to make sure you're doing everything by the book.

Another thing I will say, I played through the game in mame on keyboard tonight and it could have been my imagination but the slowdown definitely seemed lacking at times.
I'll keep an eye out for some deals on the steam version, alex, I'm the sort of daft prick who was happy to import something for 80 quid back in the 360 days knowing how much replay value these games have, but I know 22 quid is a bit steep if you're not 100% invested in the genre. Might not be an issue for you, it didn't seem too bad, but it usually goes for £11.49 during sales anyway, I'll keep an eye out.

clippa

Post by clippa » August 29th, 2019, 5:39 am

This isn't a submission for this competition, but my highscore from last year which I recorded for reddit and never got around to uploading.

Just to be clear, this isn't the optimal way to play. I have an approach that's balanced more towards survival than score, but I think it's a really fun way to play and it might help some folk that can't find their playstyle, or who aren't really getting anything from watching the superhuman runs on youtube.
Maybe it'll help people find their way in, or even just some strategies for a few of the boss patterns, or just how to be a better human in general, it's all in there, it all seeps through.

Also, on a purely selfish level, if I can convince myself that even one internet stranger has watched me shooting aliens, it feels for five minutes like I might actually exist. Pls like and subscribe.

I've read that it's best to use one hyper near the beginning and then build the hyper gauge back up and try not to hyper throughout the rest of the stage. There's a multiplier that kicks in when doing this, but it also makes your chain much easier to drop, so I feel like that's a more pro strategy.

Don't ask me about the different routes, it just seems to happen randomly for me. Whenever I read up on how to do it and actively try to get on them, it never works.
One of the conditions for getting to the second loop is to collect all the bees. I'm surprised to see how many I'd found, watching that back, but I don't think I'll ever get them all. My memory is awful, and I think it'll just be sheer luck if I ever manage it.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » August 29th, 2019, 3:07 pm

Nice one Ksub! I look forward to playing this proprerly. Although I already see the wooden spoon in my sights.

Clippa "I got a 1cc but the score was a bit crap" :D just casually getting 1cc's. Ain't no thang. I may reduce your scores by say 5m to give myself a chance in my head.

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » August 30th, 2019, 6:10 am

Great stuff, I'll be putting in some work soon. Don't expect anything remotely stellar from me, but it will be fun.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » August 30th, 2019, 6:56 am

The hypers working almost the opposite way to DOJ is wrecking my head as I'm trying to play both at the same time. I don't want to drop DOJ because I've put a lot of time in so going to just alternate and play this the clippa way.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » August 30th, 2019, 7:49 am

Power Style might be the one for me here. Seems you can crank that chain combo really high really fast. Got it up to 1500+ by the stage 1 midboss and if I didn't have to do some work, I'd be getting stuck in.

Worth a try if you've been playing solely on Strong Style. Switching your shot type between Normal and BOOST is also a cool feature. You can tap tap your way through the waves on Normal and then BOOST through the bosses.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » August 30th, 2019, 8:06 am

Yeah, I had a quick go at it yesterday and Power Style seems like an interesting choice. You're limited to the few bombs you can find in terms of your auto-bomb safety net, but it has some cool features to make up for it, especially the fact that the Hyper Gauge increases much faster than in the other styles.

Strong Style certainly has higher firepower and might be better for survival overall, but its Hyper Gauge is next to useless, so I think there's a fair trade-off there.

That GameFAQs guide is really comprehensive, but man, so many mechanics to keep track of! I can barely keep up with everything. :o

PS: It's also worth mentioning that the different ships have different combo attributes.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » August 30th, 2019, 9:08 am

I didn't know the ships also affected combo ability, that's why interesting. Seems like plenty of potential here for a range of approaches going for the same end.

I reckon I'll end up with a half decent score on the first couple of stages and never clear the game!

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » August 30th, 2019, 9:12 am

I didn't know either! According to the FAQs:
Type A: Fast movement speed. Narrow straightforward shot. Combo gauge rises the fastest out of all 3 ships.

Type B: Medium movement speed. The shot spreads slightly and turns left or right when you move horizontally. All-around balanced; it's the jack of all trades, master of none.

Type C: Slow movement speed. Shot spreads out very wide. Combo gauge rises the slowest.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » August 30th, 2019, 9:46 am

Would there be any objection to me playing 1.5 Novice? It might help me out a bit if I can actually get through a stage before the "Continue?" message comes up. I imagine scoring potential is overall lower, but let's face it I won't be troubling you whatever mode I play, I just want to have fun joining in :)

clippa

Post by clippa » August 30th, 2019, 1:10 pm

I reckon that's totally fine, anyone who fancies that, we just put (novice) after their score.

I did try power mode the other night when owly was talking about experimenting with the different styles. It was cool and different and unusual and fun, but man, the lack of autobomb. I need it in this game. I ain't getting far without it.
Might try again later, see what my score is like when I die and see if it's gonna be viable.
Stanshall wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 9:08 am
that's why interesting.
Haha, I like that, was a mistake?
Stanshall wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 9:08 am
I reckon I'll end up with a half decent score on the first couple of stages and never clear the game!
Hark at nostradamus over here. I reckon owly is gonna bone up on some sooperdooperplays and utterly smash my score right at the last minute, "there, that's your birthday present" he's gonna say.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » August 30th, 2019, 1:25 pm

hazeredmist wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 9:46 am
Would there be any objection to me playing 1.5 Novice? It might help me out a bit if I can actually get through a stage before the "Continue?" message comes up. I imagine scoring potential is overall lower, but let's face it I won't be troubling you whatever mode I play, I just want to have fun joining in :)
September hasn't even started and you're giving up already! :shock:

Go right ahead, no big deal. We'll just put an asterisk in the leaderboards or something. :P

clippa wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 1:10 pm
I did try power mode the other night when owly was talking about experimenting with the different styles. It was cool and different and unusual and fun, but man, the lack of autobomb. I need it in this game. I ain't getting far without it.
Clippa, you do have autobomb even in Power Style. You just don't have any default bomb stock so you simply have to manually find a bomb item before you can make use of it. According to the FAQs linked above:
You start with 0 bombs and have 1 bomb slot. You do not gain bomb slots nor do you get a refill upon dying. You can't manually bomb.
In all styles, if you get hit with at least one bomb in stock, you automatically release a bomb instead of dying, although this is not the same as a manual bomb.
Hope this helps!

clippa

Post by clippa » August 30th, 2019, 1:46 pm

Yeah, but in strong style you get aaaaall the bombs, you effectively get 20 lives or something if you need them :lol:
I'll give it another go, but I can't see it being too useful for me unless the scoring potential is ludicrous.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » August 30th, 2019, 2:08 pm

KSubzero1000 wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 1:25 pm
hazeredmist wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 9:46 am
September hasn't even started and you're giving up already! :shock:

Go right ahead, no big deal. We'll just put an asterisk in the leaderboards or something. :P
I tell you what - I'll try Normal and see how I get on first... If it seems impossible I'll switch to Novice. I haven't even tried Normal yet to be fair.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » August 30th, 2019, 3:23 pm

It's not that hard to actually stay alive, it's just scoring the high points that seems tricky.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » August 30th, 2019, 6:05 pm

Right OK, I might as well open the bidding with my pitiful first proper attempt at beating the game. I think I got to stage 3 maybe? My score on one credit was 101'519'85.

(I realise its silly posting that score, just thought I'd share my first effort so I can see if I improve!)

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » August 30th, 2019, 6:08 pm

Hang on, how did you do all those different shots in that video, Clippa? You had blue bullets and green ones! I only seem to be able to do normal shot and focused beam.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » August 30th, 2019, 6:15 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 6:08 pm
Hang on, how did you do all those different shots in that video, Clippa? You had blue bullets and green ones! I only seem to be able to do normal shot and focused beam.
There's a Hyper gauge in the top left corner of the screen (the horizontal bar). When it's full you can activate a more powerful shot by way of its dedicated button called the Hyper Counter with its own bullet-cancelling properties. How often you can use it depends mostly on the Shot Style you select at the beginning (after your ship).