Laptop Suggestions?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
duskvstweak

Laptop Suggestions?

Post by duskvstweak » September 12th, 2019, 7:47 pm

So, my wife and I are talking about getting a laptop to share between us, so we can do various editing/podcasting/production things between us. I'd also want it to be able to play Civ VI and Final Fantasy XIV.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good gaming laptop in the $700-$750 range? I burnt my last out because it was not meant for such endeavors.

clippa

Re: Laptop Suggestions?

Post by clippa » September 12th, 2019, 8:10 pm

This site will help you find something suitable, you can tweak the options on the left there.

https://noteb.com/?search/search.php?ty ... t_by=value

Chopper

Post by Chopper » September 13th, 2019, 10:25 am

Those choices returned by Clippa look pretty good!

You should probably look at a couple of video reviews also - the Dell Inspiron there looks to have quite a tacky/spongy keyboard, for example. I have an HP that looks quite similar to the HP Pavilion there and it is very robust in comparison.

One word of warning if you happen to be colourblind - the unlit keyboard on these tends to be red text on a black background. It is very hard to make out the keys, especially in low light, and I need to keep the keyboard backlit at all times (which is great for readability but a bit garish - see the HP in the pictures provided). I don't use mine in public so I am fine :)

Main decision for you might be SSD or HD? SSD is good for turn-based games but I guess you will want an HD if you're doing media work.

clippa

Post by clippa » September 13th, 2019, 2:33 pm

Chopper wrote:
September 13th, 2019, 10:25 am
SSD is good for turn-based games
Whatchoo talkin' bout, willis?

Chopper

Post by Chopper » September 14th, 2019, 9:37 am

clippa wrote:
September 13th, 2019, 2:33 pm
Chopper wrote:
September 13th, 2019, 10:25 am
SSD is good for turn-based games
Whatchoo talkin' bout, willis?
duskvstweak wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 7:47 pm
.. I'd also want it to be able to play Civ VI...
The specs of the ones you listed matched the recommended specs here to a T, so I was momentarily very impressed with you Clippa, thought you'd done a lot of research :|

:P

clippa

Post by clippa » September 14th, 2019, 4:16 pm

Playing turn based games off an SSD or an HDD wouldn't make any difference at all though, would it? Am I missing something obvious here?

Chopper

Post by Chopper » September 14th, 2019, 5:01 pm

You know what? You're right. I don't know where I got that idea.

Unless the game was saving/loading all the while, but that wouldn''t be the case here.

HDD it is, dusk. :oops:

clippa

Post by clippa » September 14th, 2019, 5:24 pm

More bang for you buck, but on a laptop, if you're not gonna be filling up a small one any time soon, SSD's don't have moving parts so you can fling them round a lot more, and they're quieter and they use less power.
Might be an idea to get a mid sized SSD and then you could always get a usb hard drive or even just a meaty thumb drive if you had to in the future.

Is it laptop or bust? Unless portability is an absolute must, you're always better off with a desktop.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » September 14th, 2019, 6:26 pm

Yeah, I have a desktop that works great. We're looking for a laptop so of she's recording/editing a podcast or teaching an online class, I can be editing or gaming out in the living room...or visa versa.

I didn't know SSD's use less power, that's nice to know.

Storage would be mostly temp storage as most projects, when finished, would be on the desktop anyway. And, I'd only have the game's I'm playing at the moment on.

clippa

Post by clippa » September 14th, 2019, 7:08 pm

Oh yeah, I'd go with an SSD in that case. Nice to have a big one, so I've heard, but it doesn't sound like it needs to be. If the SSD is a bit smaller in the model you want, I wouldn't let that be a deal breaker.