Armed Police Batrider - October Tournament

Here's where you can arrange meet-ups and game nights on the platform of your choice.
Michiel K

Re: Armed Police Batrider - October Tournament

Post by Michiel K » October 6th, 2019, 11:35 am

I've got this sitting on my hacked OG Xbox (running in the emulator mish mash of CoinOPS Premium 7), which would be my preferred way of playing and enjoying it, but I bet the emulated clock speed doesn't entirely match up with how you all will be playing it via ShmupMAME. I guess I'll enter, but with that caveat or asterisk next to my score entry.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » October 6th, 2019, 11:43 am

No worries, Michiel. I'm running it off a PS Classic through Retroarch, so there's likely to be a range of performance and input lag across all of us.

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » October 6th, 2019, 12:05 pm

^^^^Cool!

clippa

Post by clippa » October 6th, 2019, 2:25 pm

Stanshall wrote:
October 6th, 2019, 11:15 am
Nice linearity to the scoring here at our level.
Yah, It'll be interesting to see how this one pans out.
Stage 5 brings the pain.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » October 8th, 2019, 9:51 am

Just to get something on the board for now. This game seems really fun! It owns me, obviously, but I’ll get better. Just a couple of goes so far

clippa

Post by clippa » October 8th, 2019, 10:37 am

Yeah, it's good, innit? Give that batsugun special version a go if you get a chance, it's a lot more forgiving and it's great fun.

Only had a couple of shots of this last night but it feels like I might have hit a wall with stage 5. Might do some filthy credit feeding tonight and feel that stage out a bit.

clippa

Post by clippa » October 9th, 2019, 6:02 pm

It was half 8 by the time I sat down last night so it didn't happen and tonight I've been playing my stoopid roguelites.
We've got all month, no pressure.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » October 12th, 2019, 9:16 pm

Not really enjoying this, definitely due to score chasing rather than having credit feed fun and feeling horrifically inferior looking at Clippa & Stanshall's scores. I can easily "no miss" the first stage, then the second stage eats me up. I've tried switching between the combine harvester and an Xbox 360 pad and I'm shite on both. It could also be that I'm just not dedicating enough time, but as it's on PC it's a little less convenient than a handheld in terms of the times I can actually fire it up, so I feel a little hamstrung. Which is my issue, not the tournament's.

Still some time to go, so I hope to fire it up one evening and get some Neo and the Matrix moment or something. We'll see.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » October 13th, 2019, 4:42 am

My scores vary enormously based on who I'm using. I'd recommend either the second ship, the girl with homing missiles or the big black guy with the homing laser out of Raiden. Much easier for survival.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » October 13th, 2019, 8:05 am

Stanshall wrote:
October 6th, 2019, 11:43 am
No worries, Michiel. I'm running it off a PS Classic through Retroarch, so there's likely to be a range of performance and input lag across all of us.
Indeed, I'm playing on Vita. Seems quite nippy but not sure if it's same speed as original arcade or not. Probably? Might give it a go on laptop, too. Certainly be easier on a larger screen I expect.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » October 13th, 2019, 9:20 am

Alex79uk wrote:
October 13th, 2019, 8:05 am
Indeed, I'm playing on Vita. Seems quite nippy but not sure if it's same speed as original arcade or not. Probably? Might give it a go on laptop, too. Certainly be easier on a larger screen I expect.
I'd assume definitely easier on a bigger screen just because the bullets are a lot less conspicuous than something like Dodonpachi. Glad it's running nicely on the Vita, though.

It's a tough game and not one that necessarily suits my usual taste or skills but I'm enjoying dipping in every so often. Still playing DOJ Black Label and Mushihimesama Novice Ultra as well as starting some Futari Ultra for some zero pressure unique spectacle.

clippa

Post by clippa » October 13th, 2019, 9:32 am

It must just be a woolly game, it doesn't feel responsive for whatever reason, there must be something clogging up the pipeline. The control aren't intentionally laggy according to trap15 - https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51021

I'm not particularly enjoying this either, haze. I haven't had a chance to play it a lot, I keep getting distracted by other games when I've got some me time, but after a short honeymoon period, it's starting to feel stale already.

For some reason the game gives me a headache and a twitchy left eye. Stage 5 feels unnecessarily punishing.
I'd have to read up on playing the rank to make sure the boss doesn't start shooting those green homing lasers because they kept killing me the other night and I only managed to dodge them once and I think it was a fluke :lol:

It's a good game, but I'm not really feeling it at the moment.

Ha, novice ultra, I'll have to try that!

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » October 13th, 2019, 10:41 am

Yeah, I've played it on cab at Arcade Club and never noticed any lag but that's without much frame of reference. I'm gonna try to pop up there next weekend for some DOJ and I'll give Batrider another go. It's a good game, obviously lots of strategy and secrets and stuff to it but it's very punishing and has some frustrating difficulty spikes.
clippa wrote:
October 13th, 2019, 9:32 am
Ha, novice ultra, I'll have to try that!
It sounds like some wet lettuce bullshit but it's a really fun mode. Pretty slow bullets but loads of them and Fisher Price ultra patterns which you can cancel for lots of dopamine. You'll probably clear it first go but it's a decent enough challenge for me still.

ALSO

I just found out that Futari has a Novice Ultra mode, accessible through the Arrange menu! It's a lot easier than Mushi Novice Ultra and I no missed up to Larsa but it's such a great way to familiarise yourself with the Ultra patterns and the absolutely essential bullet cancels from stage 2 onwards. It's got autobomb as default and it's a piece of piss but for someone wanting to get a taste of the ultra sensory overload, it's a lot of fun. Will be my retirement home mode of choice.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » October 13th, 2019, 11:51 am

If Alex has this set up on his Vita, I should be able to get it working on my shield. Will try that

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » October 13th, 2019, 12:13 pm

Got it working via Retroarch. Should have thought of this earlier. Mame4Droid wasn’t working

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » October 13th, 2019, 12:19 pm

Yeah I’m worse if anything on shield. Glad it's not just me not feeling this one clips

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » October 13th, 2019, 12:31 pm

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » October 13th, 2019, 12:38 pm

OK, that's progress. What ship are you using?

clippa

Post by clippa » October 13th, 2019, 4:02 pm

Not wet lettuce bullshit, it's sounds like it could be the perfect balance and I never even considered it.
Stanshall wrote:
October 13th, 2019, 10:41 am
You'll probably clear it first go
Yeah, I suppose I am great when I stop and think about it. Good point, well made.
I'm gonna try it tonight, it sounds like great fun.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » October 13th, 2019, 4:25 pm

clippa wrote:
October 13th, 2019, 4:02 pm
Not wet lettuce bullshit, it's sounds like it could be the perfect balance and I never even considered it.
Stanshall wrote:
October 13th, 2019, 10:41 am
You'll probably clear it first go
Yeah, I suppose I am great when I stop and think about it. Good point, well made.
I'm gonna try it tonight, it sounds like great fun.
I wish the Futari Novice Ultra was balanced more like it, I'll say that much. It could do with a Casual Ultra, kind of like Rolling Gunner. Something between Novice and Normal.

Mushi Novice Ultra is great, though. I cracked Stage 3 earlier but ended up continuing on Stage 4, those water snakes or whatever they are. Not sure about the hurt boxes so kept dying when I was trying to fly over them. TLB is also still a bit tough with certain patterns. Anyway, great fun, very recommended.