Gaming headset for glasses wearer

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Alex79

Re: Gaming headset for glasses wearer

Post by Alex79 »

They look well nice, almost art deco!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I'll be going wired for the most part but the built-in DAC means that the telly audio is very good via BT for movies, etc. For gaming, I'll definitely be going wired USB because of audio lag via BT. It's also marginally better quality wired. I will start coughing out of the window if the loan shark comes within 100m.

I like the clever workaround, as well. Makes me think it'd work with the Switch!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Stanshall wrote: April 4th, 2020, 6:26 pm For gaming, I'll definitely be going wired USB because of audio lag via BT. It's also marginally better quality wired.
As far as I can tell from the picture, the headphones themselves are wireless. If I may ask, how does it work exactly with the USB cable? Are you plugging it into an amplifier of some sort which then redirects the data to your headphones? Or do they have a wired connection plug that isn't visible on the picture?

Keep in mind I know very little about audio stuff and all the tech jargon confuses me. :|
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

KSubzero1000 wrote: April 4th, 2020, 7:15 pm As far as I can tell from the picture, the headphones themselves are wireless. If I may ask, how does it work exactly with the USB cable?
There are actually two slots for wired connections but they're pretty discreet. You can either connect USB-C (to USB-A on PS4 or Switch, or to USB-C on my phone) or standard 3.5mm to 3.5mm AUX (on PS4 Dualshock pad, XB1 pad, TV AUX or phone headphone jack). For BT, you can connect directly to the TV or phone but none of the consoles will accept BT connections (despite being able to).

USB is the best quality, then technically it's AUX and then BT, but the BT on these is exceptionally good and I can't hear a difference with AUX. In fact, it actually sounds better via BT because there's zero distortion/hiss which is very slightly present with the AUX connection. They also support LDAC BT which is the highest possible quality connection. They don't actually need any amp because amplification and DAC are built into the headphones. There's a hell of a lot of tech in there so while they're not cheap, they're arguably very good value.

Although there are some restrictions on certain connections, on the headphones you can switch between 7.1ch, 2ch and Hi-Res output if the inputs support it. For PS4 and Switch I'm using 2ch but for the telly and for lossless music via my phone, I'm using the Hi-Res. I don't have much interest in the 7.1 and don't much like simulated surround, it always sounds a bit larger than life, and the 2ch/Hi-Res with Dolby Vision/Atmos sounds fantastic through these. I haven't even really mentioned the 3D head tracking and spatial imaging software built in but again, it's not my kind of thing. I'm very happy with what they do in stereo.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Sorry, I hope that doesn't feel like welcome to my TED talk :p
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Me: "All the tech jargon confuses me."

Stan: "... Tech jargon? Say no more, fam!"

:P

So if I understand it correctly, you're just using one long USB cable between your headphones and the PS4 / Switch? No intermediary device?
Suits

Post by Suits »

Stanshall wrote: April 4th, 2020, 7:40 pm I don't have much interest in the 7.1
Have you hear this yet in person ??

Man, effectively is the front too channels, played on top of each other (in the positional sense).

Imagine a helicopter landing from above you.

My Onyoko amp supports this, and the insistence of it not letting me forget it, rains so true.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

KSubzero1000 wrote: April 4th, 2020, 7:57 pm Me: "All the tech jargon confuses me."

Stan: "... Tech jargon? Say no more, fam!"

:P

So if I understand it correctly, you're just using one long USB cable between your headphones and the PS4 / Switch? No intermediary device?
Haha, yeah, sorry. That was my best attempt.

Basically, yes. USB cables to my consoles and phone for best quality. BT to TV and phone for convenience.
Suits wrote: April 4th, 2020, 8:39 pm
Stanshall wrote: April 4th, 2020, 7:40 pm I don't have much interest in the 7.1
Have you hear this yet in person ??

Man, effectively is the front too channels, played on top of each other (in the positional sense).

Imagine a helicopter landing from above you.

My Onyoko amp supports this, and the insistence of it not letting me forget it, rains so true.
I'll defo give it a go for films. I've enjoyed it on the Astro A50s at times but it feels a bit artificial sometimes with games, unless they're designed for it. I remember BF4/V sounding fucking amazing with surround, though.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I use studio Audio-Technia ATH-M50x's when I have to use headphones and let them pick up the 5.1 signal and covert it to 2.0 stereo for my ears.

I've faffed for too long with audio to be bothered about setting stuff up to near never use it.

I had the wireless Turtle Beach Stealth 500X's for my Xbox One which were bloody fantastic for online chat and excellent sudo 5.1 ear phone sound. These were the last headsets to have a mic boom too, so are much better for other people in the party regards voice quality.

They connected via the optical out on the Xbox which meant that it didn't sit in your audio set up to your TV. It had a little break out box. Clever it was.

The stuff Sony is doing with the PS5 and its audio sounds really cool though.