Games Completed 2020

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
Simonsloth

Re: Games Completed 2020

Post by Simonsloth » January 14th, 2020, 11:27 am

13/01 God of War

seansthomas

Post by seansthomas » January 14th, 2020, 8:21 pm

seansthomas wrote:
January 13th, 2020, 10:59 pm
Got the podcast downloaded to listen to tomorrow. Excited to hear the community view!
Just finished listening and I think I had the exact same playthrough as Leon! Poor Ciri...

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle » January 15th, 2020, 7:08 pm

Spoiler: show
03/01 - Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005)
08/01 - Need for Speed: Carbon
12/01 - Devil May Cry (Normal)
15/01 - Devil May Cry 2 (Normal/Dante)

Guess what, it's bad. Extremely bad. Shocking take, I know. I knew that going in, and was considering skipping this one, but I figured I might as well give it a shot for the sake of comprehensiveness. It only took 3 hours, but they were long and excruciating. It really is as awful as its reputation. Combat is completely dull and lifeless, with hardly any abilities to choose from, and pretty much no difference between the choices you have either. Not that it does anything to explain your abilities mind you. Controls are clunky and awkward. Enemy design and variety is trash. Levels are dead and empty. The story barely exists, and the little voice acting that is there is terrible and flat. It feels more like a sequence of unconnected events that happen for no reason in abstract boxes. Or more accurately, the same events over and over. Truly one of the worst games I've ever played, and definitely the worst that wan't a complete technical mess. That's the only thing that it remotely positive about this game. It's a functioning piece of software. In every other sense though, it's a limp and miserable mess. Despite me not enjoying the first game that much either, it is leagues ahead of this one. It retroactively makes me appreciate DMC1 just a little more.

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » January 15th, 2020, 8:48 pm

^^^^ Only 3 hours, huh? I might just slog through it myself for comprehensiveness and being able to say that I did it as well.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » January 15th, 2020, 9:54 pm

Ouch. I remember the backlash at the time and having that in my mind going in I thought it was pretty good and didn’t really see all the fuss. I won’t go back as I think I’ll probably hate it too.

I’m not sure whether I deliberately tried to like it to be edgy. I was like that back then so who knows!

Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo » January 15th, 2020, 10:06 pm

Magical_Isopod wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 10:53 pm
Jobobonobo wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 8:55 pm
I remember playing Rocket Knight Adventures ages ago at a mate's place and was blazing through it until I came across the robotic fish boss. That thing absolutely destroyed me and it was pretty damn annoying having to start over again! Would love to see this remade with a slightly more fairer difficulty (or at least have it be an option). However there is absolutely 0% chance of that happening with modern Konami being what it is now but one can dream. Because unfair nonsense aside, Rocket Knight Adventures was one of the best mascot platformers of the 16 bit era and when it was good, it was really bloody good. If I remember correctly, I think the SNES sequel Sparkster is a bit easier (some fans not being as much into it because of the lowered difficulty!) so that could be one to check out. Never tried it myself but ought to someday.
I played Sparkster immediately after, and that one's got a lot of problems. It's good, but it's just not polished. One of the late bosses, for instance, is basically down to pure luck whether you win or not. I made commentary on it in Whatcha Been Playing?
Just seen your comment on it now. That is a shame about that boss. Pity Sparkster did not fix the problems of the original. Might try playing a ROM of the original game with cheats activated someday though, would be great to finish even if it is not legit.

Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo » January 15th, 2020, 10:25 pm

dezm0nd wrote:
January 11th, 2020, 12:30 pm

Jan 11th - Sonic CD

Well this was completely average based on my experience but I know there's a decent game in there, somewhere.
I felt the same way about it as well. The only way you know about the time travel mechanic is by reading the instruction manual otherwise you are given no explanation at all. The level design constantly works against you building up enough speed in order to time travel and is just really mashed together. This is far from the streamlined business of Green hill zone. Also the JP/EU soundtrack is miles ahead of the US one you had on. Would have definitely improved things a fair bit to have it on.

Really enjoying the Sonic Adventure playthrough by the way. Was not a fan of it back in the day but I quite like its cheesiness now. The goofy animation and voice acting is so much more fun than the ridiculous dourness of edgy nonsense like Shadow the hedgehog.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » January 15th, 2020, 11:35 pm

Steins;Gate 0

Top class visual novel if you’re into them, doesn’t quite hit the high of the first game but that was an impossible task, just being close to it is a dream. I loved it. I can consider it finished as I’ve had the “true ending” but I’m missing a couple of the other endings so will keep at it as they’re very worthwhile so far.

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » January 16th, 2020, 4:30 pm

Jan 16 - Shovel knight king of cards DLC

The entire lot done on Switch for the podcast recording this volume

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » January 16th, 2020, 4:31 pm

Jobobonobo wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 10:25 pm

Really enjoying the Sonic Adventure playthrough by the way. Was not a fan of it back in the day but I quite like its cheesiness now. The goofy animation and voice acting is so much more fun than the ridiculous dourness of edgy nonsense like Shadow the hedgehog.
Thanks mate! Loads more to come

Chopper

Post by Chopper » January 16th, 2020, 5:34 pm

YES!

Beat the Heart with the Silent in Slay the Spire. My most impressive gaming achievement by far! Of course, I took a screenshot of the victory screen and only then realised that overwrote the video so I can't even play it back. Stupid Sony. :x

It nearly broke my heart.
In the end I had to run the gauntlet of The Awakened One (I used Nightmare+ to clone a bunch of Dexterity+ cards and got through his heavy hitting like that), and then the Heart (and his cohorts) by cloning Catalyst+ and overwhelming with poison. Smallish deck - 19 cards.

That might all sound like I know exactly what I'm doing, but still discovering things about this game after 200 hours (to be fair I wasn't trying to beat the heart until this week).

Now on to the Ironclad and the Defect. :P

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » January 18th, 2020, 12:24 pm

17 - 1 Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones (NES)

The video says it all. Also contains Metal Storm bonus material.

mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 » January 18th, 2020, 10:53 pm

Spoiler: show
Jan - Blasphemous
Jan - A Short Hike
Jan - Dear Esther
Jan - Luigi's Mansion 3
Jan - Sayonara Wild Hearts
Jan - Gorogoa

Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham » January 20th, 2020, 1:39 am

19th Jan - Dishonored: Death of the Outsider

I spent nearly 4.5hrs in just one level because I couldn't get enough of it. I kidnapped a bartender, rescued a guy with mutton chops from having his blood guzzled by rich a-holes, and got a tattoo. All in one mission.

The levels are still excellent. Returning to Karnaca from Dishonored 2, I thought the Upper Cyria district (where you spend missions 2&3) was the best realised chunk of the Empire's Southernmost nation created for the series yet. There are absolutely top tier NPCs and minor characters, with literally laugh out loud moments. I would put this up against any location and level design in the series. The contracts system in the game incentivises and rewards exploration, and is essentially an opt-in for how long you spend in each level.

The power set is extremely fun, despite finding it fiddly to begin with I really liked Billie's version of Blink, which is called Displace. Using Semblance to steal people's faces and gain temporary anonymity is also great.

It all led to what was (for me) a bloodbath in the Royal Conservatory from Dishonored 2 (a really good example of how to re-use assets imo) and an atmospheric if flawed final mission.

Have to say I just want to play the series more. Would love to go back to the first game and finally do those DLCs where Daud and Billie's story really comes together for the first time, then run NG+ for the two I just did. Will probably do so slowly, doing a level or two a week. I just love these games.

Clocked in at 12hrs. Fully assault/ lethal by the end

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » January 21st, 2020, 12:05 pm

Simonsloth wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 11:27 am
13/01 God of War
19/1
Resident Evil 2 remake: Leon A and Claire B

Realising there’s almost no way I’m going to be able to play along successfully this year! I’ve got a week to finish Assassins Creed Origins and this year is full to brim of games I haven’t played!

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » January 21st, 2020, 2:24 pm

For any individual we would recommend playing along with some rather than all!

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » January 21st, 2020, 3:38 pm

I finished the first Witcher game. Honestly, I got on with it fairly well. There were issues, for sure. I get why people don't like the combat (and fights with Wraiths boiled my blood) and the games backtracking needs ANYTHING to make it less of a slog. But, even with those issues, I still enjoyed my time with it. And, besides the constant use of the only three NPC assets, it could actually be rather pretty, even in 2020. I'm glad I played it, I enjoyed it, totally understand not recommending it to people.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » January 21st, 2020, 4:10 pm

ratsoalbion wrote:
January 21st, 2020, 2:24 pm
For any individual we would recommend playing along with some rather than all!
Haha! I’d already put Red Dead 2 away for a rainy day/week/month so I’d admitted defeat even before the first show was recorded!

I’ll still do my best as there a few games I’ve already played so a few weeks when I will be able to catch but it’s mostly like you were looking at my shelf of shame and making the playlist from that!

clippa

Post by clippa » January 21st, 2020, 5:34 pm

clippa wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 9:32 pm
January
Monolith (Hard mode)
Monolith (Normal, intense lethality (skully))
Monolith (up to loop 4)
Nearly forgot! See, this is how it happens, you get a few games down and realise you've forgotten to update and then you don't trust that you've remembered everything so you just fuck it all out the window and say you'll do it next year.

January
Mushihimesama Futari 1.5, 1cc
Long story short, this strict, unflinching bastard taught me to play these games by just caning my arse all day long. Came back to school for one last time to flush it's head down the toilet and put a tab out on it's face.
Gertcha!

I slipped on a puddle of piss, lost a few teeth to the cistern and left limping with my hair all ruffled, but needless to say, I had the last laugh.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » January 21st, 2020, 6:15 pm

A bit late to the Devil May Cry 2 conversation, but did we ever find out why the game came out so underwhelming? Was it a case of Capcom being surprised by the first games success and pumping out a sequel or was it something else? Or was it nothing and it was just a disappointing game?