Games Completed 2020

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
ColinAlonso

Re: Games Completed 2020

Post by ColinAlonso » February 10th, 2020, 10:35 pm

Spoiler: show
Jan 1 - Wonder Boy in Monster World (Sega Mega Drive Mini)
A bit of catching up to do here

Jan 5 – FTL: Faster Than Light (PC) (Easy)
Was meant to play something else but I was too tempted to play this again. Finished two playthroughs, its still great.

Jan 21 – God of War (PS4)
I had only played the first PSP game before this, but this game pulled me right in. Although its not an open world I enjoyed exploring all its corners, its a beautiful and interesting game world. The story is decent but has some issues. I really enjoyed the incidental chat between Mimir, Atreus and Kratos, usually about lore, when traveling on the boat, I always wanted to hear more.

Loved the solid weighty combat, I even took down two Valkyries and I'm not usually one for the optional harder stuff. I also did a fair amount of the sidequests.

I thought it ended a bit abruptly, the final boss didn't feel like one at the time. A lot has been set up for the next game and I definitely want to play that. I'm partly through the podcast episode now too.

Feb 6 – Into The Breach (Switch) (Normal)
Fuck, I think this might be better than FTL. For those that don't know,Into The Breach an isometric strategy game where you take control of three mechs and complete missions across four islands. Each mission is 3-6 turns long and has a number of objectives to gain reputation (spent on upgrades when completing an island), grid energy (lost when enemies attack cities, run out of this and its game over) and power upgrades for the mechs.

The bitesize nature of the game is perfect for the Switch and the short missions encourage taking time over moves. Good too as mistakes can be costly and I had many failed runs before I completed it.

While quite distinct in its mechanics and world from FTL (although one encounter suggests they're in the same universe), the tone, overarching design and even plot of the game clearly mark this as FTL's spiritual successor and I think its a worthy one too.

Feb 10 – Wargroove: Double Trouble (Switch)
The free Wargroove DLC was released on Switch last week and I jumped straight in. It adds a new short campaign (10 levels) featuring two new commanders (the twins act as one) leading a clan of rogues. I think of them as comedy Scots, playing up the accent and all, for a light-hearted game like this it works.

The quirk for the DLC is that the missions involve controlling two allied armies led seperately by Wulfar and the Twins allowing for two players to play local co-op with seperate controllers. The game asks for the person to hold a button before the start of each turn so it can still be played with one controller.

Aside from that, there are no major changes and the game is still a really good Advance Wars clone (I'm not being dismissive using the word clone here, its just the easiest way to describe it).

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » February 10th, 2020, 11:00 pm

Flabyo wrote:
January 26th, 2020, 5:40 pm
Jan 10th - Spider-Man (PS4)
Jan 26th - Children of Morta (XBO)
Feb 10th - Indivisible (XBO)

Odd one this. It starts off putting the emphasis on its combat system and feels like it’s going to be a streamline take on the JRPG. But then it starts adding in more and more world traversal mechanics and you realise you’re now spending more time on these Metroidvania elements.

It’s sometimes a little over fiddly, it requires more precision than the joypad is going to give. Also one or two of the boss fights don’t signpost well leaving you with no idea what you’re actually meant to be doing. (And the last boss is both amazingly clever and super frustrating at the same time).

But the presentation... this is from the team that made Skullgirls and the animation is top tier. As is the voice acting, it’s somewhere between the overly earnest delivery most English JRPG localisations have, and the free form of an improv performance. It’s really well done, knowing without being cynical. Also a very diverse set of accents in play (even if it is a little weird effectively having Symmetra from Overwatch as the villain).

The setting is unusual too, it’s drawing very heavily from Indian and Arabian mythology, which is well trodden ground in books and movies but is rarely seen in games outside of the Prince of Persia series. That adds a *lot* to its charm.

I like it, but I suspect many will find it to be a hybrid of styles that doesn’t quite mesh.

ironedflemming

Post by ironedflemming » February 12th, 2020, 1:47 pm

1 - Batman; Arkham Origins
2 - Return To Arkham: Batman Arkham Asylum - PS4 Pro

3 - Sayonara Wild Hearts - PS4 Pro

As someone else in the thread already said, this game is 'pure Good Feeling' and I had a blast playing through, Not much meat on these bones but whats there is delicious weird trippy goodness.

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » February 12th, 2020, 3:08 pm

Gylt

An enjoyable horror romp with nods to Alien Isolation and Silent Hill. Genuinely unsettling. I only died on the final boss and I only had the option of 2 of the 3 endings as I didn't pick up enough of the collectables even though I thought I'd been pretty thorough.

Worth checking out when it comes to Xbox/PlayStation but maybe not if it launches at £29.99 as it did on Stadia.

Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter » February 12th, 2020, 8:11 pm

03/01 - Disco Elysium (PC)
03/02 - DUSK (PC)
12/02 - Baba is You (PC)

Great puzzle game, but longer than expected and really tough.

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » February 12th, 2020, 11:05 pm

DomsBeard wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 3:08 pm
Gylt

An enjoyable horror romp with nods to Alien Isolation and Silent Hill. Genuinely unsettling. I only died on the final boss and I only had the option of 2 of the 3 endings as I didn't pick up enough of the collectables even though I thought I'd been pretty thorough.

Worth checking out when it comes to Xbox/PlayStation but maybe not if it launches at £29.99 as it did on Stadia.
The Council Episode 1

Having fun with this, I'm not trying to win I'm just rolling with it. I ended the episode getting drunk and passing out.

Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter » February 14th, 2020, 12:05 am

03/01 - Disco Elysium (PC)
03/02 - DUSK (PC)
12/02 - Baba is You (PC)
13/02 - Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (PSP - via Castlevania: Dracula X)

First classic style Castlevania. Loved it, even though it is TOUGH

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » February 15th, 2020, 9:57 am

I recently finished Sonic 4 Episode 1.

Ya know, it wasnt bad at all. Aesthetically it's a mess and the physics are off but its basically trying to do what Mania absolutely nailed by using level designs from previous games and twisting it.

The 2nd episode of Sonic 4 seems much better and I'm eager to press on with it, even if my enthusiasm for streaming the blue hog has wained.

I can only say so much about it for so long but I have ideas up my sleeve to keep you all in the loop (de loop) about my progress with the series.

ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso » February 16th, 2020, 9:33 pm

I couldn't enjoy Sonic 4 because those physics felt so off, I didn't even play the 2nd part.

Anyway
Jan 1 - Wonder Boy in Monster World (Sega Mega Drive Mini)
Jan 5 – FTL: Faster Than Light (PC) (Easy)
Jan 21 – God of War (PS4)
Feb 6 – Into The Breach (Switch) (Normal)
Feb 10 – Wargroove: Double Trouble (Switch)
Feb 15 - Yakuza 6: The Song of Life (PS4)

I've reached the end of Kiryu's saga nearly 10 years after starting.

Coming to this game after Kiwami 2 is an odd experience because this was the first Yakuza on the newer engine and K2 built on that. While it brings many benefits (less loading areas, more fluid entering and exiting fights, looking great etc.) there has been a lot scaled back from prior games. Kiryu is down to one fighting style, can't equip his own weapons, has less heat moves etc. I felt there were fewer substories and the trouble missions are pretty generic. The larger minigames, Clan Creator and baseball, didn't grab me. The end result is that I mainlined the story far more than I usually would in a Yakuza game and instead of the 75 hours I've sank into 5 and 0, I've reached the end of 6 in 32.

That said, it is still a good game and a proper Yakuza. The main story and missions are really good and Kiryu gets a fitting send off to his story. It may be because I had completed all 7 games but I got a bit emotional at the end.

The slightly truncated Kamurocho in the game is a good metaphor for Yakuza 6. Most of the important bits are there but its not quite as full as before.

Love the series and despite having played them all before, I've bought a copy of the Remastered Collection.

Feb 16 - Ristar (Switch)

25th anniversary playthrough!

This is my first play on the Switch Mega Drive collection. I'll stick to the PC version in future though. Its not the emulation, but the d-pad on the Pro Controller isn't as comfortable for diagonal presses as the Dual Shock 4. And diagonals are important for Ristar's grabbing mechanic.

Mr Ixolite

Post by Mr Ixolite » February 17th, 2020, 7:39 am

Inspired by Alex79UK (and me being gifted the Lgacy collection) I just blasted through Mega Man X again.
As someone who is still hoovering up seemingly endless Power Moons in Super Mario Oddyssey, MMX was a great counterpoint: sometimes you just need to blast through some robots, and blast through some stages. Granted, not all stages are equally great, and I got tripped up big time at the finish line by the lack of saving inbetween Sigma Stages, but I persevered, and had a mostly great time. I did have to switch on Rookie Hunter mode for the very last few minutes of the game because Wolf Sigma is a right bastard, and I eventually couldn't bear spending anymore time farming small worms for Energy capsules to refill my E-tanks.

ironedflemming

Post by ironedflemming » February 17th, 2020, 2:34 pm

1 - Batman; Arkham Origins
2 - Return To Arkham: Batman Arkham Asylum - PS4 Pro
3 - Sayonara Wild Hearts - PS4 Pro
4- Death Stranding - PS4 Pro

What a ridiculous, pompous, stunning and entertaining videogame!

Simultaneously loved every second whilst hardly understanding what was actually going on, the core gameplay may just be a series of fetch quests but the presentation and long journeys across beautiful landscapes really pulled me in and tapped into a sense of unknown epic adventure i haven't felt in a game for a long time.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » February 17th, 2020, 11:42 pm

Alex79uk wrote: JAN - Titanfall 2 (PS4)
JAN - Pinball FX3: Fish Tales (Switch)
FEB - Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
FEB - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

Whizzed through this in 3 evenings, although it's the second time I've played it so wasn't trying to 100% it.

I'll put main thoughts in the podcast thread, but I still think this is the best (although 4 is my favourite) Uncharted, and I love the series. The writing is just fantastic, the character animations, and nobody, but nobody does a jungle quite like Naughty Dog. They're just another level. As far as 3rd person action adventure / 3rd person shooters go, this is bordering on perfection. I'd still give it a 10 out of 10.

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle » February 18th, 2020, 9:09 pm

03/01 - Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005)
08/01 - Need for Speed: Carbon
12/01 - Devil May Cry (Normal)
15/01 - Devil May Cry 2 (Normal/Dante)
26/01 - Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
08/02 - Dishonored
18/02 - Deus Ex: The Fall

After going through Dishonored and being reminded so much of Human Revolution, and Mankind Divided to a degree, I felt like having another run through of this little bit-sized Deus Ex nugget. I still rather like it. It's pretty underrated. Even though it's short, the character models and animation are a bit crap, and it's really buggy and rough, it still feels faithful to the other modern games. It manages recreate the atmosphere and aesthetic really well considering, and graphics in general are pretty impressive for a mobile game of its era. Most of the same mechanics from HR are here too, and the level design feels like a miniaturised version of that game as well, retaining a lot of the same complexity, just truncated a bit. And interestingly, this game has an instant dash ability like in Dishonored, which HR didn't have. Admittedly it's kind of clunky and doesn't work very well here, but it's kind of cool to see that this game was actually including new mechanics that the main games wouldn't get until later. The AI is admittedly kind of crap though. There seems to be little consistency in how easily they spot you, with it frequently seeming near instant. Their pathing sometimes seems to break as well. But despite the issues, it's still a nice little chunk of what I like about these games that works well enough to scratch the itch for 5 or 6 hours. It's almost a shame that this game never got finished too, being only the first episode in a planned series that never got off the ground. I would have totally played all of it. And it's a bit sad seeing the tab in the main menu still promising future content after all these years.

clippa

Post by clippa » February 19th, 2020, 2:43 am

Wolcen
Finished the story mode tonight. S'good. Bit buggy, bit repetitive towards the end but I've been hankering for a half decent ARPG for a long time and this hit the spot quite nicely. Was fun.
Will try the end game content tomorrow.

Those were my stats at the end there. Always go for a ranged glass cannon to keep these things interesting - https://i.imgur.com/MXdIEYR.jpg
Due to the logic of the game, if you hold a beefy sword in one hand, it buffs the damage on your pistol in the other so that was better than going dual pistol or even a two handed bow. Daft, but that's how it works.
I like playing as a witch too but I saw on reddit that a lot of the spells and passives and elemental damage and shit isn't working so I'll leave that for now and stick with my stoopid elf.

Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham » February 19th, 2020, 2:58 am

13th Jan - Dishonored 2
19th Jan - Dishonored: Death of the Outsider
23rd Jan - Sayonara Wild Hearts
4th Feb - Wolfenstein: The New Order

18th Feb - Titanfall 2

Banger first person shooter. Great-feeling guns, superb visuals, fun mech combat and breezy length are all big points in the game's favour, but what sets it apart is the movement. The double jumping and wall-running action makes the actual movement within the game as rewarding as the combat, particularly when the two are combined, and the often excellent level design supports it really well.

Into the Abyss is a standout as you run along pipes and jump between segments of prefabricated houses while they are carried along by robotic arms. Effect and Cause (the famous one) adds time travel with a fast-paced take on Dishonored 2's A Crack in the Slab, so that you are zapping between time periods on the fly to make use of walls and platforms that used to be there, in order to reach your destination in the present. My favourite use of the time travel was actually as an overpowered alternative to your usual cloaking device, moving between time periods to advantageously position myself in firefights.

I played the final mission while listening to the soundtrack from The Messenger (as heard on Sound of Play) rather than with the superhero bombast provided, and I have to say it heightened the experience of an already fast-paced denouement.
I also liked how the game ended with a platforming section as its climax rather than another big boss mech - the last thing you do in this game is leap between collapsing structures and flying pieces of terrain as a planet buckles underneath you, and it is extremely cool.
The story completely washed over me, but considering this could have just been a tutorial for multiplayer, it is an amazingly well put together campaign with real thought and a lot of clever ideas having gone into the levels.

Speaking of multiplayer, have been doing a little bit of this with my brother and it's also very good. I am far from capable with twitch action, but even without any weapon upgrades or etc I felt like there was a pretty low barrier to entry for the multiplayer and I managed a few kills per match, which for me constitutes a major victory. There are some interesting multiplayer modes like a mech-only brawl, and one where you are capturing points on the map so your focus is on using the augmented movement abilities to get around the map quickly rather than racking up kills. There's also a wave-based co-op mode against bots which was fun. Some beautiful maps, and unlike in the single player you get a grappling hook which combines with the wall-running to really shrink the maps down as you zip from place to place.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » February 19th, 2020, 9:54 pm

Vanquish (PS4)

I struggle to articulate how much I love this game without resorting to my admittedly overused habitual talking points.

The story is Saturday Morning Cartoon nonsense, the environments are bland and repetitive, the forced walking sections (read: masked loading times) are infuriating, the controls and upgrade system aren't very newcomer-friendly. But that gameplay... there's nothing like it. The mechanical depth puts every other TPS to shame. The attention to detail is incredible. The enemy variety is second-to-none. The animations and sound design are impeccable, especially when slow-motion is activated. The advanced techniques are an absolute joy to discover and master. Layers upon layers of sheer interactive quality. The kind of finely-tuned mechanical structure that makes fighting the basic enemies with the default weapon loadout fundamentally fun.

It may not look like it, but this game is much closer to Bayonetta than to Gears of War at its core. It doesn't try to look nice for the viewing pleasure of passive bystanders. It doesn't try to tell any heart-wrenching tale with a thin layer of rudimentary interactivity painted onto it at the last minute. This is a game that demands to be played. Simple as that.

It reminds me a lot of DOOM (2016) in the sense that it is an unapologetically gameplay-centric example of its genre which directly stands apart from the vast majority of its competitors. This little 2010 mid-budget game fills a niche nobody else has even attempted to in the last ten years.

A hypothetical Vanquish 2 in the mold of DMC3 would have the potential to become one of the greatest games ever made in my humble estimate. Honestly, I can't think of any other game which would be more deserving of a bigger, better sequel with higher production values than this one. Apart from God Hand, of course. Mikami darling, please come back! :(

PS: This version is rock solid, all the previously DLC-exclusive weapons are in and the 60fps framerate works to the game's benefit without any unintended hiccups unlike the RE4 debacle.

Soooooo good. Can't wait to dive into the legendary challenges tomorrow.

seansthomas

Post by seansthomas » February 21st, 2020, 5:03 pm

13th Jan - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
24th Jan - The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone
28th Jan - Far Lone Sails
10th Feb - Super Mario World

21st Feb - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

So I'm not sure if I can say I've completed this or not? I beat the main game and rolled credits, then a bonus DLC court case appeared. However I hear it was added in the rereleased versions but not in the original, so I count myself done as it felt like a natural end.

(But please holler if you think I'm missing out on an epic conclusion. A friend I asked couldn't recall a thing about it, so I presumed it wasn't amazing).

Thoughts on the game... Started out thinking it was a 10/10 all timer. Felt fresh (especially given its age), funny, silly, smart and charming. All the characters were interesting, the puzzles were good and I loved it when the various theme tunes kicked in.

As it went on, the novelty definitely wore off a bit. Had a couple of trials where I had a Guilty Game Over screen purely because I couldn't figure out which obtuse conversational phrase I needed to present the evidence on I had gathered. Wasn't a huge issue, but felt a slog to redo 3/4s of a trial due to one obscure clue. Also, witty silly humour is less so when you have to scroll through it for the 2nd and 3rd time.

Also, there were a few instances where the characters and dialogue felt a bit ageist, sexist and chauvinistic? Not massive chunks, just a few instances. Could be its age. Could be the cultural differences of Japan and the West. But I did notice it. Especially sat on a train!

All in all, I really liked the game though. It felt different to almost every other series I've played, I liked the zany puzzles and I grew to love the main cast. Wright would be a brilliant Smash character.

Will definitely play the sequels (and last case) once I leave a gap to fall in love with it again.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » February 21st, 2020, 5:17 pm

seansthomas wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 5:03 pm
(But please holler if you think I'm missing out on an epic conclusion. A friend I asked couldn't recall a thing about it, so I presumed it wasn't amazing)
The bonus case is definitely worth playing, although it is really more of a standalone story rather than the conclusion of the main game and the Phoenix Wright - Miles Edgeworth dynamic. I would recommend giving it a go at some point if you liked the rest, just don't expect it to retroactively enrich the other cases or anything like that. If you liked the way the story ended and want to leave it at that then there's nothing wrong with that either.

Maybe keep it as a little bonus treat if you ever fancy some more Ace Attorney goodness but don't necessarily have the time to commit to the entire second game just yet. :)

seansthomas

Post by seansthomas » February 21st, 2020, 6:06 pm

KSubzero1000 wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 5:17 pm
seansthomas wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 5:03 pm
(But please holler if you think I'm missing out on an epic conclusion. A friend I asked couldn't recall a thing about it, so I presumed it wasn't amazing)
The bonus case is definitely worth playing, although it is really more of a standalone story rather than the conclusion of the main game and the Phoenix Wright - Miles Edgeworth dynamic. I would recommend giving it a go at some point if you liked the rest, just don't expect it to retroactively enrich the other cases or anything like that. If you liked the way the story ended and want to leave it at that then there's nothing wrong with that either.

Maybe keep it as a little bonus treat if you ever fancy some more Ace Attorney goodness but don't necessarily have the time to commit to the entire second game just yet. :)
Awesome feedback, thanks!

Kind of what I sensed from the first 10 minutes of playing it last night. Will go back to it for sure when the time is right.