422: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon/Ritual of the Night

This is where you'll find threads specific to the games we're covering in our current volume
JaySevenZero
Admin

422: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon/Ritual of the Night

Post by JaySevenZero » January 1st, 2020, 11:08 am

Here's where you can contribute your thoughts and opinions of Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon/Ritual of the Night for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

A friendly reminder to all that where feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but self-editing (brevity) is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mainly reading. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.

The Walking Dad

Re: 422: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon/Ritual of the Night

Post by The Walking Dad » February 4th, 2020, 7:35 pm

Ritual of the Night ended up being one of my most memorable gaming experiences of last year, in spite of the fact that I A) completely forgot I'd backed it for over a year, and B) played the "lesser" version of the game on Switch. The week before it released, I found myself scrambling to find backer information and claim codes because of how enticing the game had become, and when it released, I burned through its multiple endings and much of the highly enjoyable post-game before immediately stating a New Game + file that I've been chipping away at ever since.

Not only that, I found myself so thirsty for more Iga goodness that I bought Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Sorrow (having played but not quite loved Circle of the Moon when the GBA launched) and sprinted through both of them while vacationing in Canada (making those long flights and drives far more bearable). I then started searching out games like Metroid Zero Mission/Fusion, Iconoclasts, and Dust to keep the high going. I haven't yet waded more than ankle deep into Symphony of the Night, but that's largely because I feel like saving the best (as I've been told) for last.

The "Greatest Hits" nature of Bloodstained, with its shard-collecting mechanic and side missions and even cooking quests coalesced into a package that finally made me fall completely in love with 2D Metroidvanias, after years of preferring the 3D counterparts. Cheers for a kickstarter that lived up to its potential and here's hoping the team has a few more adventures up their sleeve.

Suits

Post by Suits » February 4th, 2020, 9:21 pm

The Walking Dad wrote:
February 4th, 2020, 7:35 pm
Not only that, I found myself so thirsty for more Iga goodness that I bought Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Sorrow (having played but not quite loved Circle of the Moon when the GBA launched) and sprinted through both of them while vacationing in Canada (making those long flights and drives far more bearable). I then started searching out games like Metroid Zero Mission/Fusion, Iconoclasts, and Dust to keep the high going. I haven't yet waded more than ankle deep into Symphony of the Night, but that's largely because I feel like saving the best (as I've been told) for last.
Sorry to hijack the Podcast thread, but I just wanted to suggest keeping an eye out for Dawn of Sorrow on the DS too !! For me it’s right up there with SotN and just slightly ahead of Aria of Sorrow.

stvnorman

Post by stvnorman » February 14th, 2020, 8:16 pm

Curse of the Moon is my second favourite old-school Castlevania after Super Castlevania IV! Ive played through it three times, and love the atmosphere, the aesthetic, the gameplay and the clever character switching mechanic.

I think atmosphere is the one thing holding Ritual of the Night back for me. It often looks, sounds and plays great, but throughout my very recent play through I just found myself thinking I’d be enjoying it a whole lot more if it was in Symphony of the Night’s skin, which still oozes atmosphere despite its age. Possibly tries too hard for its own good. .