Super Mario RPG (: Legend of the Seven Stars)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Super Mario RPG (: Legend of the Seven Stars)

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your thoughts and opinions of Super Mario RPG for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

A friendly reminder to all that where feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but self-editing (brevity) is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mainly reading. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.
BlueWeaselBreath

Re: 407: Super Mario RPG (: Legend of the Seven Stars)

Post by BlueWeaselBreath »

I first picked up Super Mario RPG in a video rental shop shortly after it had been released. I took it home and was hooked from the cold open. The visuals were, at the time, cutting-edge for the SNES and the Yoko Shimomura soundtrack was (and remains) brilliant from top to bottom. I think what captivated me most was the ability to really explore Mario's world for the first time. I had been a massive fan of both Zelda and Mario since the NES games, and while I always preferred the exploratory gameplay of the Zelda series, I always found the Mario universe to be more interesting and unique. Finally, here was a game that would let me delve into Mario's universe in a deeper way, interacting with the familiar characters, making new friends, and walking around the locales. Getting to team up with Bowser against a common foe was unexpected, and I loved it.

The game seemed impossibly jam-packed with secrets and easter eggs, and its interactive turn-based combat set a pretty high bar for my expectations of JRPG systems, as it was one of the first games of this type I had spent any real time with. The system instilled in me a habit of superstitiously pressing the command button right before my character attacks in other JRPGs, in the vain hope of causing extra damage, and I still catch myself doing this from time to time. 

I played the game for the whole weekend obsessively until it was due back to the store (I believe I got stuck on the super-tough optional fight with Jinx, unwilling to continue until I had beaten him) then later bought a guidebook I saw in a Barnes & Noble (chock full of images of those beautiful character models before they were scanned in and pixelated) and pored over it for months until I was able to rent the game again and complete it.

I've gone back to it a few times since and loved it all over again; I don't believe I ever owned it, but I recall emulating it in my college days. Whether it's due to nostalgic fondness or what, I don't think the graphics have aged as badly as I've heard others express -- I find the game much easier to look at than polygon graphics from the 32- and 64-bit eras -- but in my dreams, the original toy-like character models would have been retained and the game would be remastered and re-released in a hi-res Switch version that would end up looking a lot like the new Link's Awakening. 

For years, I thought I had sold the guidebook in my college days, but have just come across it in a box of my old books in my parents' house, much to my delight.

Super Mario RPG is my favorite game from my favorite game system, making it one of my favorites of all-time and one that I'll always remember warmly.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Trying to get this running on Vita is a pain in the ass. Some emulators will crash at the intro, some will let you play till you level up then crash, really frustrating! My only options are playing on laptop or on my WiFi, but I really wanted to go handheld :(
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Other (better) options; SNES Online (Switch), SNES Classic, Wii/Wii U Virtual Console.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

That would be awesome if it was on the Switch, but it's not unfortunately. Yeah I have it on Wii though so will have to do it that way.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Is it not? My mistake!
I’m sure it will arrive soon enough though.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Wow, I’d have had money with anyone that it was on the Switch online service.

Must be getting mixed up with the SNES mini.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Fingers crossed it joins the service, but I doubt it'll be in time for the show. Wasn't it a collaboration with Square, maybe that's why they couldn't put it on. But then it was on SNES mini wasn't it? But there aren't any Square games on Switch Online when you'd expect some of them, so maybe they're not allowed?
Caligulas Horse

Post by Caligulas Horse »

Alex79uk wrote: January 6th, 2020, 9:15 am Fingers crossed it joins the service, but I doubt it'll be in time for the show. Wasn't it a collaboration with Square, maybe that's why they couldn't put it on. But then it was on SNES mini wasn't it? But there aren't any Square games on Switch Online when you'd expect some of them, so maybe they're not allowed?
I don't have a Switch so I might be getting something confused here but FF7 8 & 9 are on there?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

They are yes, as purchasable titles. The SNES Switch Online collection is a collection of SNES games you get if you subscribe to the Switch online service, and there aren't any Square games included in that selection (at the moment, keeping fingers crossed, but knowing Square and their pricing, they're more likely to release them to buy rather than join a subscription service).
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

As a fan of Paper Mario and Mario in general, this game doesn't stick with me.

Any tips?
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

I was always jealous of US SNES owners who got this and was a game I always wanted to check out. I had played the latter Mario RPG games and greatly enjoyed them but I wanted to go back to where it all began. Luckily, I did such a thing when Super Mario RPG was released on the Wii Virtual Console. It definitely has the sense of humour and bizarre characters that makes these games so endearing. Mario’s dialogue consisting of him miming out everything was a nice little running joke throughout the game.

But I had the worst luck with this game. I would start it up, get reasonably far and then for some reason the game would delete itself! Literally no other Virtual Console game did this, only Mario RPG. So I restarted it and was making good progress.....until it deleted itself again! I believe this happened a total of three times and it honestly killed my enthusiasm for finishing this game. I liked what I seen but for whatever reason the copy I downloaded was determined that it would never let me finish it with these constant deletions. So because I never truly finished this I can’t properly rate it as one of my favourites but what I can say is that this game did contain the seeds for what became some of the most outright fun, accessible and charming JRPG series I have ever played. For being the first alone, Super Mario RPG gets my respect.
DaMonth

Post by DaMonth »

I'm mainly just here to say that Geno isn't cool. He's very plain and heroic without much substance, he doesn't say a word after his part of the story's done, his role on the team's arguably pretty replaceable. I guess he looks a little neat and woohoo, Geno Whirl. But yeah, certainly not worth all the heaping praise he gets for being an almost nothing character.

Of course, maybe I missed his crucial 4 hour sidequest and this is the part where someone chimes in to make me look the fool.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

In the late 90s, my brother and I rented this expecting something more akin to Super Mario World. If I remember correctly, we couldn't figure out how to get past the intro area of the game and just dropped it.

Years later, now coming to understand what an RPG is, I have tried to play Super Mario RPG. And truthfully, I still keep bouncing off it. The story's cute and simplistic, and that's probably part of the charm for a lot of people. But for me, it's just not enough to hook my interest, and the gameplay is pretty basic.

Geno for Smash though, that's be alright.
Mr Ixolite

Post by Mr Ixolite »

dezm0nd wrote: January 8th, 2020, 8:29 am As a fan of Paper Mario and Mario in general, this game doesn't stick with me.

Any tips?
I don't know your history with Square-brand RPGs, but for me, the game is fascinating as a case study of what happens when a non-Nintendo developer gets their hands on the Mario license. Theres the self-aware humor, the enemies that feel like they walked in from other properties, but also the fact that you can make Mario kind of a douche.

A simple example from early in the game: You meet a young Toad who's jumping maniacally, who asks if he can become as good at jumping as you. To this you can offer a supportive "Sure!" or a flippant "Dream on, kid". Like, its a small thing, but I couldn't believe it was in a Mario game, and its not the only such thing either.

The gameplay may be a bit simplistic, but even compared to the subsequent Mario & Luigi series this game has an identity all its own and thats whats keeping me going, at least for now.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

dezm0nd wrote: January 8th, 2020, 8:29 am As a fan of Paper Mario and Mario in general, this game doesn't stick with me.

Any tips?
Play Bug Fables. It's a Paper Mario game, but with cool bug warriors instead. Easily one of the best games of 2019.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I've started SMRPG but bug fables is now on my list to play.

Looks good
The Baboon Baron

Post by The Baboon Baron »

My memories have begun to blur together like cheap trifle these days, but the memories I have of Super Mario RPG are pretty clear. The only way I could play it was via emulator, which brought with it a mixture of emotions, but even so, it could not detract from a fascinating little game that has gone on to have quite an impact. One I completely and totally missed back in the SNES era.

I remember quite clearly how frankly adorable it was, but with a subtle wink at the camera in more than a few scenes, that knew that there were more than a few older gamers out there giggling along. As someone who normally bounces off turn based RPG’s, the battle system with its more reactive approach really appealed to me. I still had to keep my reactions sharp and not tap away through menu after menu.

I never got to the end, and the thought of stepping up to see it through now doesn’t appeal to me too much. But it is held in high regard and I can see why, going on to influence all sorts of games. It really helped me appreciate RPG’s- to see past some of the more grindy, high fantasy that my friends played and I reluctantly watched.
dark aries

Re: Our next-but-one podcast recording (23.2.20) - 407: Super Mario RPG (: Legend of the Seven Stars)

Post by dark aries »

I never had a snes and played this through 3ds emulation and it feels like it suits a handheld device well. As a consumer of JRPG's there is some things the game does well: the ability to increase damage to foes and decrease damage to yourself through button presses, overworld sprites to determine battles and a manageable inventory. Perhaps because i played it 14 years after release the humour, party members and character development fell flat. with a 20 hour completion time this definitely falls in the higher end of rpg play for myself and spawned a series that i also enjoy: the mario and luigi dream team series.
duskvstweak

Re: Our next podcast recording (23.2.20) - 407: Super Mario RPG (: Legend of the Seven Stars)

Post by duskvstweak »

Super Mario RPG, today, gets by on charm. The mechanics work fine and the graphics still look appealing, though a bit dated. But it's just so sunny and happy that it doesn't matter if it's not the deepest JRPG out there or the most exciting Mario game. It's a celebration of Mario and his, at the time, legacy. And, Squaresoft knew how to make Mario's iconic jump not just an attack in their turn-based game, but fun to pull off as well.