The News (formally the Covid thread)

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Stanshall

Re: Let's have a thread about the virus, then. We might as well.

Post by Stanshall »

I just want to say a propos of nothing in particular, I really feel the community spirit here. Look after yourselves, folks, and keep checking in.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

*** THE CORONAVIRUS TOP TEN *** March 25th, 2020

Good news from the front-lines of the global fightback.

1. In one of Italy’s darkest hours, they find they are not alone. 50 Cuban doctors have arrived in the country, travelling halfway across the world to put themselves in danger for people they have never met. It’s the sixth Cuban team to join the international fight against the pandemic; in the past few weeks Cuba has also sent medical workers to Venezuela, Nicaragua, Jamaica, Suriname and Grenada.

2. China has given the green light to CanSino Biologics to launch the country’s first Phase 1 clinical trial for a vaccine. The Hong Kong-listed biotech is co-developing the vaccine with China’s Academy of Military Medical Sciences. The two previously worked together on a successful Ebola vaccine in 2017.

3. According to scientists who are closely studying its genetic code, the coronavirus is not mutating significantly as it circulates through the human population. This means that when a vaccine is produced, it is more likely to be long-lasting and successful.

4. In just 48 hours, over 4,500 British nurses and doctors have come out of retirement in response to the NHS, who issued a call saying “Your NHS Needs You.”

5. In South Korea all civil servants above the ministerial level, including the president, Moon Jae-In, have agreed to take a 30% pay cut for the duration of the pandemic.

6. Thanks to rigorous efforts to track, test and contain infection clusters during the early days of the outbreak, the mortality rate in Germany is currently tracking at less than 0.4%, far lower than any other European country.

7. Giorgio Armani and 19 other Italian billionaires have given more than $44 million to hospitals, healthcare facilities and government agencies since the crisis began in February.

8. In Turkey, people have started to leave food packets on the road for the poor and the needy who cannot earn due to the COVID19 lockdown.

9. Lowe’s, a home improvement company in the United States, is donating $10 million worth of protective products to hospitals to keep medical professionals healthy and safe on the frontlines.

10. A new medicine for the most severe respiratory symptoms caused by the coronavirus could clear clinical trials as soon as this summer, after receiving approval to test the drug from the FDA.

If you'd like to get these updates regularly, follow Future Crunch on Facebook.

All sources at: www.futurecrun.ch/coronavirus
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Went for a walk around my estate with my two kids today. They've been doing a cool thing where families put pictures of rainbows in their window to look out for on the walk around. We counted 15.

My Mrs said to my 3 year old that we are staying in as there is a bug making people poorly. He then spent the next few hours asking what the bug looked like and whether it is in our garden :D

All things considered they are doing well. My wife is having to deal with irate brides 10 hours a day who are still convinced their wedding is going ahead in June/July as the venue isn't cancelled and that theirs is the only one happening in the world. One emailed to say she might want a different dress and can she just pop in to try another. :|
PallasRil

Post by PallasRil »

People are putting funny pictures in their windows to try and alleviate the mood. A simple child's drawing of a goofy face with crossed eyes and a stuck out tongue made me laugh out loud. As well, messages are being written with chalk on sidewalks and laneways. My favourite I saw tonight said simply "CAN YOU TELL WE'RE BORED?"
Suits

Post by Suits »

I’ve not had this much sex in years.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Haha!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Just found out my 81 year old Grandad is still going to the shop every morning for his copy of The Daily Fail and milk even though we've all given him the hard word.

Also my Gran (84 and different address) went to pick up her regular prescription even though we agreed I was going to pick it up for her till further notice. She "lost" my number apparently and wanted the exercise.

Can't help people sometimes I guess.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Suits wrote: March 26th, 2020, 8:15 am I’ve not had this much sex in years.
Hang on, you live on your own!? :lol:
Suits

Post by Suits »

DomsBeard wrote: March 26th, 2020, 12:28 pm
Suits wrote: March 26th, 2020, 8:15 am I’ve not had this much sex in years.
Hang on, you live on your own!? :lol:
Wow, imagine that 🤤🤤....
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

...Simon.

Status update?

pls

I'm worried.

:(
Suits

Post by Suits »

How cool was the national clapping and cheering outside your front door tonight at 8PM !!

My whole street was out, fireworks, the lot !!

It is Essex mind.

Good old NHS.
ironedflemming

Post by ironedflemming »

Spoiler: show
My partners 95 year old grandmother has been hospitalized the last week with symptoms and now just tested positive. Saddest part is that the grandkids cant go visit her, they've only allowed her direct children to go in one at a time and they had to be fully decked out in a sealed bodysuit.

Does anyone else keep veering between this will all blow over to 'fuck, this is getting worse & worse'?
Wanted to share got some positive coronavirus news - my partners 95 year old grandmother was in hospital with a confirmed case for the last 3 weeks and wasn't too well at all but has now recovered, confirmed now free of the CoRo and back at home resting thanks to our brilliant NHS 👍
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Wow, that’s brilliant.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

That's wonderful to hear!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Great news
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

That is great. This all needs to go away soon, dammit.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

KSubzero1000 wrote: March 26th, 2020, 11:08 pm ...Simon.

Status update?

pls

I'm worried.

:(
I’m at 95%!
Confirmed Coronavirus after finally getting tested and I’m almost back to normal. Glad it’s out of the way and I can browse the vegetable aisle without worrying too much about whose been sneezing over the lettuce. Went to work today too. Thanks for the thoughts!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Cool!

I'm a bit worried about my friend Lisa who currently has it (well - suspected, based on symptoms and a phone call to her GP) - as she also suffers with ME so her immune system isn't at peak performance. This could really set her back on the long road to recovery.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Simonsloth wrote: March 27th, 2020, 10:54 pm I’m at 95%!
Confirmed Coronavirus after finally getting tested and I’m almost back to normal.
Wonderful!

Maybe you can put that big brain of yours to good use and develop some neat life-saving serum based on your Wolverine-tier antibodies now. :P
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

They didn’t feel like wolverine tier (and still don’t).

It’s more rife than everyone thinks. Two other doctors at the practice confirmed positive one of them only had a runny nose and many more with symptoms who almost certainly have it too. We were down to 1 doctor out of 13 physically in the GP practice on Friday morning as everyone else isolating. Had to pay privately for the test but will at least get the tax back as a business expense.

The fact they are only testing hospitalised patients and celebrities means the numbers are grossly underestimated. The sad thing is there are thousands of people who have had it and are stuck at home when they could be helping the ones who can’t leave or see anyone.