The News (formally the Covid thread)

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Alex79

Re: Let's have a thread about the virus, then. We might as well.

Post by Alex79 »

I don't know much about viruses and stuff, but I do realise the point of vaccines is that once you've had something you wouldn't usually get it again - is that the case with this coronavirus? Because I know viruses can mutate and stuff as well, but is it pretty sound to say if you have had it and recovered, you're safe to be out and about and probably wouldn't catch it again? But could you still be a carrier of it? So you'd personally be immune, but could you still potentially give it to other people, or not?
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

In principle most people develop immunity to a virus after one exposure (vaccine or actual infection) and you can show this to an extent with an antibody test.

Some people if ill with it or vaccinated will have a partial response but not enough to develop full immunity so in principle could get it again.

If virus were to mutate normally it would be factors like its lifespan, resistance to antivirals, or infectiousness that would change. It could also become faster acting and deadlier. The long incubation period actually works in its favour at the moment as people wander around oblivious to it infecting people whilst symptom free. Normally this means you are likely immune to the mutated strains as the antibodies you’ve developed should work however if the virus became so deadly it overwhelmed your immune system before you could mount your “saved” memory of how to kill it then it wouldn’t matter.

I think the government will assume immunity once the antibody test available and you test positive for the antibodies. They can’t assume if you’ve had the virus that you’re now immune.

Also a side point but you can still carry the virus on your person even if you are immune so caution would be needed before seeing vulnerable loved ones.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

How's this for luck. Over the last two weeks the following has broken in our house:

Fridge
Oven
Grill
Microwave
Tumble drier
Washing machine
Vacuum
Lawn mower

Impossibly unlikely, but true.

:cry:
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Bloody hell!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

That’s terrible Alex. Bonfire In the garden? Or I recommend cooking bacon with the iron.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Very sorry to hear that, Alex. What are you guys going to do now?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Oh I forgot, my PS3 as well!!

We've managed to replace most of it, we fixed the oven by ordering a part, not the grill though. Microwave, fridge, vacuum and tumble drier all replaced, but it's cleaned us out!! My mum bought us a lawn mower and my partners parents are getting us a washing machine but I've got to try to hook it up myself. Not too tricky, but I'm not sure where we turn our water off so that should be fun...

Just a ridiculously, improbably unlucky couple of weeks!
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

What the hell are you doing in that kitchen, Alex??
FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

Alex79uk wrote: March 29th, 2020, 3:25 pm Oh I forgot, my PS3 as well!!

We've managed to replace most of it, we fixed the oven by ordering a part, not the grill though. Microwave, fridge, vacuum and tumble drier all replaced, but it's cleaned us out!! My mum bought us a lawn mower and my partners parents are getting us a washing machine but I've got to try to hook it up myself. Not too tricky, but I'm not sure where we turn our water off so that should be fun...

Just a ridiculously, improbably unlucky couple of weeks!
Ah I'm too late but I would have said not to replace the microwave right away. Mine broke about 3 years ago and I never missed it so never replaced it. It's weird you kind of think that because you grew up with a microwave in the house that it's something you have to have but it's not until you don't have one anymore thay you realise how little you ever used it.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

The Ps3! Noooo! Did you manage to salvage your game saves?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I don't know what that says about me and my silly worldview, but of all the domestic appliances listed by Alex, the washing machine and to a lesser degree the oven are the only two I would consider to be essential. Everything else is more or less superfluous in my book.

Losing out on the dusty old PS3, though? Now that's a QoL deterioration I wouldn't be willing to accept. :lol:
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Simonsloth wrote: March 29th, 2020, 8:38 pm The Ps3! Noooo! Did you manage to salvage your game saves?
It's just the disc drive that's broke, but I've got a few games on disc that can't be bought digitally I was hoping to get round to :(

I really just wanted to play Max Payne 3 again which is why I got it out. Its a shame the PS3 games never go on sale on the store any more because I'd happily buy it digitally just to play but don't really want to spent £16 on it at the moment.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Alex79uk wrote: March 30th, 2020, 4:53 pm
Simonsloth wrote: March 29th, 2020, 8:38 pm The Ps3! Noooo! Did you manage to salvage your game saves?
It's just the disc drive that's broke, but I've got a few games on disc that can't be bought digitally I was hoping to get round to :(

I really just wanted to play Max Payne 3 again which is why I got it out. Its a shame the PS3 games never go on sale on the store any more because I'd happily buy it digitally just to play but don't really want to spent £16 on it at the moment.
*the wind whispers in your ear*
peeeeeeeeeeeeeeseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

One of the most disappointing parts of this whole situation is seeing nation states behave like common thugs when the chips are down. The US drew heat a few days ago for apparently hijacking chinese shipments of surgical masks intended for France and Canada, while earlier reports indicate that the french government was orchestrating a similar stunt on their own territory and cynically stabbing a bunch of their european allies in the back. Even Angela bae thinks it's time to play hardball with her corona bonds stonewalling. Meanwhile the Iranians are struggling to take care of their people due to spray-tan-Nero's ridiculously cruel sanctions and Afghanistan is looking like an absolute powder keg at the moment.

In the midst of a natural disaster, we get demagoguery and backstabbing instead of foresight and solidarity. This whole thing is depressing.

Please stay safe and be kind to one another.

PS: At least xkcd made the best of it. :D
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I think being stuck at home is really affecting me more than I realise. Whilst I'm trying very hard (and doing it mostly successfully I might add) at not losing my cool at home I seem to have turned in to an absolute monster online. I'm arguing with people left right and centre on Facebook, just in local news groups and stuff where people are posting ridiculous stuff or borderline xenophobic stuff, I'm almost seeking it out just so I can put the boot in. I don't like this aspect of my personality and I apologise unreservedly if anyone here has noticed such behaviour. I need to get out...

:(
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Alex79uk wrote: April 3rd, 2020, 9:42 pm I think being stuck at home is really affecting me more than I realise. Whilst I'm trying very hard (and doing it mostly successfully I might add) at not losing my cool at home I seem to have turned in to an absolute monster online. I'm arguing with people left right and centre on Facebook, just in local news groups and stuff where people are posting ridiculous stuff or borderline xenophobic stuff, I'm almost seeking it out just so I can put the boot in. I don't like this aspect of my personality and I apologise unreservedly if anyone here has noticed such behaviour. I need to get out...

:(
Alex, I'm constantly on the news part of Twitter these days and, though I'm not engaging with anyone, it has made me angry and depressed. I get it, you want to feel completely up to date and prepared so you don't leave the news sections, but the rage isn't going to help you get through this. I'm an extreme case in that I've basically muted everyone on my Facebook and Instagram, so I don't even see the dumb stuff family and friends are saying these days (mother-in-law). But, part of the reason I did that/removed Facebook from my phone was because of the effect it was having on me. Mental health is going to be super important these days, so take care of yourself! Stay informed, but don't engage with the people that want to make you punch a wall! Save that for when you can go and punch them for real!
And, remember, we're all in this together and many of us are going through the same emotions right now!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I’m finding a lot of joy engaging with the silly things that home isolation has brought to light like doing cosmic yoga with the kids. Rolling around on the floor pretending to be a poke ball never gets tiresome.

I’ve taken to ignoring the lies and ineptitude of our country’s leaders and their advisors, the levels of selfishness and xenophobia displayed by people is the next level on from Brexit level. The same people who clapped the health service at 8pm Thursday were calling me a “f****g deadbeat queue jumper” and that my ID must be fake when I went to supermarket at 7:30 before work during the NHS specific hours. The store wasn’t even open to them and they were heckling and intimidating everyone who went in. Fortunately I turned to them and called them out by name as I am their doctor haha was a really great moment. One of them is supposed to be housebound on high level benefits and the other is always on crutches and can’t possibly work. Makes me happy to know I can inform social services of their benefits fraud. Felt like a hero.

I’ve had to ignore almost all mainstream media as it’s full of nonsense and just read the information sent direct from public health and NHS England. It’s pretty rubbish knowing what is said in the press conferences is full of false promises and misdirection.

I’d say for me bonkers Cosmic Yoga, videoconferencing quiz nights with family and friends, Ring Fit Adventure, the museum in animal crossing, fixing the garden and trying to help home school my kids has all helped offset the current state of play. It’s testing times for me and I’m allowed to leave the house and go to work every day! I can’t imagine what it would be like if I didn’t have my daily grind at work to normalise things.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Simonsloth wrote: April 4th, 2020, 3:46 am The same people who clapped the health service at 8pm Thursday were calling me a “f****g deadbeat queue jumper” and that my ID must be fake when I went to supermarket at 7:30 before work during the NHS specific hours. The store wasn’t even open to them and they were heckling and intimidating everyone who went in. Fortunately I turned to them and called them out by name as I am their doctor haha was a really great moment. One of them is supposed to be housebound on high level benefits and the other is always on crutches and can’t possibly work. Makes me happy to know I can inform social services of their benefits fraud. Felt like a hero.
Jeez, that sounds fun! :P :|
Suits

Post by Suits »

Alex79uk wrote: April 3rd, 2020, 9:42 pm I think being stuck at home is really affecting me more than I realise.
I hate everything and everyone at the moment.