Dark Souls I, II and III

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Jon Cheetham

Re: Dark Souls I, II and III

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Yeah that's a lovely report to read!

Sunbroing really is so rewarding. Welcome to Dark Souls!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Awesome. One of those games I wish I could totally forget. First time going through it was genuinely incredible.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I’m now onto Sen’s fortress and it’s even nastier than Blighttown! Mages shooting from all directions whilst gigantic axes swing side to side!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Hooray I got to the first bonfire. Here are my exploits if anyone is interested.

Make sure you skip to 5 mins in

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/743696928?t=303s
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I lit the bonfire.....but didn’t rest at it!!!!!! Did it again first time though. So odd how with the right preparation, knowledge and skill the impossible becomes possible!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I remember spending ages in Sen's, there's so much to explore. Definitely one of the more memorable areas in the game.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

I love Sen's... Such a nightmare to begin with but once you learn the layout it just isn't a problem, and yeah the design is top tier.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Jon Cheetham wrote: September 18th, 2020, 1:29 am I love Sen's... Such a nightmare to begin with but once you learn the layout it just isn't a problem, and yeah the design is top tier.
Definitely have to agree. At first it’s so imposing and everything looks so dangerous but once you learn the hazards it starts becoming manageable.

I ended up beating the Sen’s fortress Boss on my first go in stark contrast to last few bosses I was able to learn his move set during the battle and wasn’t punished. Now in Anor Londo and accidentally walked into a painting and now I’m in the painted world of Aramis. I’m not sure if I was meant to do that or not. It feels like a throwback to Demon Souls and an excellent place to level up without too much difficulty. Even the basic ghouls are 300 souls. Lovely!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah it's a good place to grind souls, that area. Great area too. There's a mob which you can pretty much one shot with fire, and watch the souls tick up massively.

I never played Demon's until after Dark, but once I played it, yeah, it really reminded me of the Painted World.

Not really a spoiler, and not about the Painted World, but...
Spoiler: show
I don't know if you're looking anything up, but I don't think you'd stumble across it by accident unless you were really looking for it, but at some point see if you can find a way back to the very starting area...
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Alex79uk wrote: September 18th, 2020, 7:50 am Yeah it's a good place to grind souls, that area. Great area too. There's a mob which you can pretty much one shot with fire, and watch the souls tick up massively.

I never played Demon's until after Dark, but once I played it, yeah, it really reminded me of the Painted World.

Not really a spoiler, and not about the Painted World, but...
I don't know if you're looking anything up, but I don't think you'd stumble across it by accident unless you were really looking for it, but at some point see if you can find a way back to the very starting area...

When I was stuck I looked at the IGN wiki guide to help me know where to go next...

and it suggested the undead asylum to get a key item to use in Anor Londo. As I was getting there I thought this seems too hidden to me and even when I picked up the item it seemed like it was designed never to be found. The entering the world bit was by accident and unlike most of Dark Souls where you get a yes/no choice there wasn’t one.
I’ve gone to guides/podcasts when I’ve been hitting my head against a brick wall. Either by being totally lost or when I’m making no progress. I don’t think I would ever have found the painted world which is a shame as it’s really good.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

Simonsloth wrote: September 18th, 2020, 7:43 am It feels like a throwback to Demon Souls
Good observation! Funnily enough, it was the first test area created during the Dark Souls development process which might explain the similar feel.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Now in Anor Londo and accidentally walked into a painting
This game is so good.

Making solid progress btw!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Little update.

I beat Ornsteim and Smough. I feel pretty awful about it as i was struggling in the area so I kindled the bonfire so was human at the time and summoned two phantoms. They promptly demolished all the knights I was finding tricky then when we went for the boss they cut them down in no time. It was my first go so kind of missed out on the dread you feel before a boss.
Still shortly afterwards I died with 100,000 souls on board which I didn’t feel as bad about because I feel I kind of cheated to get some of them.

I know summoning is part of the game and humanity is a scarce resource (at least to me) but this felt like cheating.

Now I’m back at firelink and have no idea where I’m heading now. I’m terrified!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

May be a good time to head back to the starting area. Have a good look around Firelink Shrine and see if you can work out how you might get there.

Hint:
Do you remember how you originally left that area..........??
Hint 2:
You flew... If only there was a way of flying back...
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I got back to the Asylum area but I cannot even scratch the boss there. Made short work of the black knights though but the boss must have an amazing drop when it dies.

I’ve gone to darkroot Forest now. I’m going to try and beat the hydra or the wolf which demolished me before. The hydra wasn’t behind a white wall so reckon he isn’t a proper boss but might be worthwhile if he drops something.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ah yeah sorry I didn't realise you hadn't done Darkroot yet. Yeah it's probably a bit early to go back to the Asylum - that boss shouldn't be too challenging once you do take him on properly.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I’ve already beaten the wolf and hydra as I think I’m overpowered for them at this stage. Tempted to go into the skeleton graveyard and see how far I get
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

So I made it down into the Catacombs and beat the boss down there who I feel I was a bit overpowered for. I did a lot of grinding earlier in the game which helped with this I think. I ended up in the Tomb of Giants which is terrifying! Once I found the first bonfire I warped out of there! I’m scared to go back haha!

Went to New Londo Ruins and haven’t yet found the trick for fighting the ghosts there: I’m assuming I have to deactivate something in the ruins to make them beatable. I’ve been dashing past them all and pressed the switch to access the lower area. will give it a bit of a go before looking at a FAQ.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Haha the Tomb Of The Giants is the area I was referring to earlier when you asked if Blighttown was the worst in the game. :lol:

As for the ghosts...
You need a consumable item to allow you to attack them. You may already have some...

(There's nothing to deactivate to enable them to be beaten)
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Alex79uk wrote: September 23rd, 2020, 9:20 am Haha the Tomb Of The Giants is the area I was referring to earlier when you asked if Blighttown was the worst in the game. :lol:

As for the ghosts...
You need a consumable item to allow you to attack them. You may already have some...

(There's nothing to deactivate to enable them to be beaten)
That’s a nice cryptic hint! Love it. Will be nice to thin the crowds rather than make the frantic dash through.

I did make it through to the boss area with a sliver of health after running past everyone and promptly got destroyed! The drop down to them in the inky blackness was horrifying