Games Completed 2022

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
markfm007

Re: Games Completed 2022

Post by markfm007 »

markfm007 wrote: October 31st, 2022, 9:11 pm Jan 7th - Little Nightmares 2
Jan 15th - Final Fantasy IX
Feb 3rd - Deathloop
April 29th - Last of Us Remastered
June 1st - Marvel's Spider-Man
June 30th - Elden Ring
July 15th - Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time
July 30th - What Remains of Edith Finch
August 7th - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
August 21st - God of War HD
September 9th - God of War 2 HD
September 27th - God of War 3 Remastered
October 9th - Super Mario Galaxy HD
October 31st - Devil May Cry 5 SE
Rare double bill weekend where I had two games right near the end, so was able to finish them back to back.

November 5th - DmC Devil May Cry: DE
I actually started this before DMC 5, as I'd heard it was easier to get into. I got annoyed with it, decided just to jump into 5, then after finishing that figured I'd run through the last few hours rather than leave it unfinished. Coming back from 5 I found it a lot easier, so my struggles were mostly just being a noob.

For me it's a decent game that is badly let down by its story, characters and world. A common opinion but I wanted to give it a chance. Once I got to grips with the combat I had a good time. It's less complex than DMC5, and the controls are a bit unintuitive, but there's enough variety to keep things fun and snappy. The levels are very stylish and imaginative. I loved the night club, the boss fight with the tv host, the fun fair pier and Mundus skyscraper, with the overlaid wireframe plans. They're the one area I'd argue DmC excels over 5.

Unfortunately the general narrative and world is so bad that I can't imagine going back to this. Characters are at best bland, more often unpleasant, and the world itself is sleazy and offputting. Any potential is squandered, and the ending in particular is hilariously bad. I liked the idea of a dark, satirical comedic tone, but the execution here is so poor that I just never want to revisit it. There's only so much I can ignore.

November 6th - A Plague Tale: Innocence
I liked how this game takes a lot of influence from the Last of Us. I find that type of game to be a kind of comfort food, easy to digest and enjoy. The main focus is on the characters and grounding you in the journey they go on.

It's a stunning game. I loved the medieval architecture, the gorgeous sky and weather effects, the forest and outdoors. The soundtrack is also excellent, both at driving home the tension of the stealth sections, and adding life to the more emotional and quiet moments. The game effectively puts you in Amicia and Hugo's shoes and adds a decent cast of characters around them. I liked how they focused on a younger cast, which helped drive home the vulnerability against the soldiers and the rats.

The rats are a fun and effectively nasty enemy, and I liked the supernatural hordes of them, but it goes a bit too far by the ending. I'm not against the story going the way it did, but I don't think it did it well (still not as bad as DmC though). Thankfully it was only really the ending that bothered me. The gameplay is simple and occasionally clunky. I enjoyed the more stealth/puzzle aspects to it, but it fell apart whenever you're forced into action. Overall I liked this game despite some flaws.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

markfm007 wrote: November 6th, 2022, 5:41 pm November 5th - DmC Devil May Cry: DE
I actually started this before DMC 5, as I'd heard it was easier to get into. I got annoyed with it, decided just to jump into 5, then after finishing that figured I'd run through the last few hours rather than leave it unfinished. Coming back from 5 I found it a lot easier, so my struggles were mostly just being a noob.

For me it's a decent game that is badly let down by its story, characters and world. A common opinion but I wanted to give it a chance. Once I got to grips with the combat I had a good time. It's less complex than DMC5, and the controls are a bit unintuitive, but there's enough variety to keep things fun and snappy. The levels are very stylish and imaginative. I loved the night club, the boss fight with the tv host, the fun fair pier and Mundus skyscraper, with the overlaid wireframe plans. They're the one area I'd argue DmC excels over 5.

Unfortunately the general narrative and world is so bad that I can't imagine going back to this. Characters are at best bland, more often unpleasant, and the world itself is sleazy and offputting. Any potential is squandered, and the ending in particular is hilariously bad. I liked the idea of a dark, satirical comedic tone, but the execution here is so poor that I just never want to revisit it. There's only so much I can ignore.
I overall preferred this to V, mainly due to the more accessible combat which allowed me to feel much more stylish in combat, in V I felt I resorted to button mashing a bit too much at times. I also enjoyed the much more creative levels like you describe. V I felt was surprisingly brown and grey for the majority of it.

What surprised me was that the combat was really good but then in their next game Hellblade, I thought it was really poor in comparison. I know that Hellblade isn't an action game like DmC, but I was still surprised at how lacking the combat felt in it.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

9. Shatter Remastered Deluxe
Going straight into my top 3 for the year is Shatter. I’ve rinsed this game since buying it as it’s so much fun to play and has an incredible soundtrack. Will be going for all the achievements. Runs superbly on steamdeck too. For those who have never heard of it. It is a mix between Breakout and Peggle on LSD. 9/10
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I picked Shatter up on XSX even though I have the original on PS3 and PC. Good price for the remaster, too.
markfm007

Post by markfm007 »

Truk_Kurt wrote: November 7th, 2022, 9:18 am I overall preferred this to V, mainly due to the more accessible combat which allowed me to feel much more stylish in combat, in V I felt I resorted to button mashing a bit too much at times. I also enjoyed the much more creative levels like you describe. V I felt was surprisingly brown and grey for the majority of it.

What surprised me was that the combat was really good but then in their next game Hellblade, I thought it was really poor in comparison. I know that Hellblade isn't an action game like DmC, but I was still surprised at how lacking the combat felt in it.
That's fair. I was enjoying the combat a lot more towards the end, starting to get higher scores. I can see how if you wanted to just dive in and have a good time, DmC's a better choice than five. I found 5's combat tough but addictive, wanting to get better at it. Never played Hellblade but that is surprising. It's a more serious game I guess but you'd think they'd still be able to create a decent combat system. After DmC there's no way I would look at Hellblade and think it was made by the same studio lol, they're almost opposites.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Spoiler: show
03/01 - Halo 3: ODST (Master Chief Collection)
06/01 - Halo 3 (Master Chief Collection)
09/01 - Hotshot Racing
25/01 - Halo 4 (Master Chief Collection)
29/01 - Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
03/02 - Heavenly Sword
05/02 - Need for Speed: Carbon (Battle Royale)
09/02 - Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
20/02 - ICO
24/02 - Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD
25/02 - Halo 5: Guardians
05/03 - Asura's Wrath
09/03 - Shadow of the Colossus HD (Normal mode)
30/03 - Shadow of the Colossus HD (Hard mode)
30/03 - Forza Motorsport 3 (100%)
01/04 - Muramasa: The Demon Blade
11/04 - Forza Horizon 2 (100%)
17/04 - The Darkness
20/04 - The Darkness II
25/04 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Normal)
29/04 - Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
29/04 - Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (X360)
06/05 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Hard)
07/05 - Castlevania: Lament of Innocence
10/05 - Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (PS2)
18/05 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Very Hard)
21/05 - Umurangi Generation Special Edition
27/05 - GRID Autosport
29/05 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Revengeance)
02/06 - Lost in Random
03/06 - Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
12/06 - Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition Remix
13/06 - God Hand
25/06 - Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams
28/06 - Gungrave
30/06 - Zone of the Enders HD
01/07 - The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
06/07 - Gungrave: Overdose
07/07 - Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
15/07 - Bunjingai: The Forsaken City
23/07 - Leaving Lyndow
01/08 - Genji: Dawn of the Samurai
01/08 - Eastshade
17/08 - The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (Dark Athena version)
26/08 - Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005)
30/08 - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion – Knights of the Nine
04/09 - Submerged: Hidden Depths
05/09 - Killer is Dead (Very Hard)
23/09 - Ghost Rider
11/10 - The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
15/10 - Toren
26/10 - The Elder Scrolls III: Tribunal
27/10 - Close to the Sun
31/10 - Silent Hill
05/11 - Burnout Revenge (Elite Rank/all GPs complete)
11/11 - Darksiders Warmastered Edition (Apocalyptic)

Decided to have another run through of this to space out other stuff, and went for the last few achievements while I was at it. Not much to say I haven't before many times. Still a solid fun time. Only real difference this time was playing on the harder difficulty. Didn't really make for a significant difference to the experience. Made some of the tougher enemies eat through health pretty massively, but they always did that to an extent anyway.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

09/01 - Hotshot Racing
03/02 - Heavenly Sword
20/02 - ICO
05/03 - Asura's Wrath
17/04 - The Darkness
20/04 - The Darkness II
27/05 - GRID Autosport
02/06 - Lost in Random
13/06 - God Hand
28/06 - Gungrave
23/07 - Leaving Lyndow
01/08 - Eastshade
17/08 - The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (Dark Athena version)
23/09 - Ghost Rider
15/10 - Toren
27/10 - Close to the Sun
31/10 - Silent Hill
13/11 - Burnout Dominator

So this was an interesting one. This has always been the strange odd one out of the series. One that I’ve never played before now. The only one not made by Criterion, and which came out on the PS2 several years in to the 7th console generation, and so had a big development overlap with Burnout Paradise. So it’s something of a black sheep.

Turns out it’s pretty good though. It manages to scratch that Burnout itch and does a decent job of replicating the design and feel of the series in a way that feels faithful. But at the same time it does lack a level of polish that makes the quality pretty inconsistent. At times it can feel just as good as the best games in the series, but other times it can be an imbalanced mess.

Aesthetically it’s really good. It’s bright and colourful, with slick presentation that gets the vibe of the series right. Tracks are particularly nice looking, although they do feel like a little bit of a step down in detail from 3 and Revenge, probably owing to this game also having a PSP version. But they’re actually pretty impressive considering that. They have personality to them and a lot of nice scenic spots. I don’t know if it’s intentional, but the environments tend to put an emphasis on trees for some reason. They seemed to stand out to me. The car designs are a bit of a mixed bag though. A lot are taken from previous games, but a good number are unique to this one. Those new ones are a bit weaker than the others. The soundtrack is decent too, but a bit strange to hear playing this after Paradise. This game shares a lot of that game’s soundtrack, but with some different songs as well.

The driving feel is generally very good. It definitely nails the handling model of the franchise. Probably because it was based on the one from Revenge. It’s not quite as face-meltingly intense as that game, but it still does a really good job in that area. It definitely feels authentically like a Burnout game that can stand along with the other entries. It’s swift and immediate, with simple but very satisfying drifting, and a great sense of speed. There are cracks that reveal themselves over time though, showing how this game probably didn’t get the extensive mechanical polishing that other games got. For some reason it is really hard to do takedowns in this game. You have to hit enemy cars really hard for it to work, to the point where it feels unreasonable. A common problem across the whole game is poor difficulty balancing. This game can be brutally hard in ways that feel cheap at times, while in other events it’s a breeze. Traffic checking is gone this time around, so traffic becomes a huge danger once again. The game is really harsh about brushing past them too, leading to a lot of crashes that wouldn’t have been in other games. Traffic density can get absurdly high on some events, where it just becomes way too much to deal with. So it’s a rather hit-and-miss experience when it comes to the overall gameplay. When things go well, when luck is on your side and the traffic count isn’t too extreme, it’s really fun and is exactly what you would want out of a Burnout game. But there are many bumps in the way that stop that from being an uninterrupted experience.

It’s a decent entry in the franchise, which maintains the character of it very well. While it’s clearly lower budget than the other games, it doesn’t feel like some compromised knock-off or anything. It was aiming for the right things, and pulls off the most important part with that distinctive handling model. It fumbles on a few things which prevent it from being able to stand up as being an all-time great like the other Burnout games, but it can still provide the same kind of enjoyment in its better moments.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79 wrote: February 16th, 2022, 7:37 pmJAN - Universal Paperclips (Android)
JAN - Halo 5: Guardians (Xbox)
JAN - Brothers: A Tale Of Two Sons (Switch)
JAN - Mass Effect: Legendary Edition (Xbox)
JAN - Forza Horizon 5 (Xbox)
JAN - Halo Infinite (Xbox)
JAN - Hitman (Xbox)
FEB - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Nintendo DS)
FEB - Max Payne 2 (Xbox)
FEB - The Walking Dead: 400 Days (Xbox)
FEB - Hyper Sentinel (Switch)
FEB - It Takes Two (Xbox)
FEB - Overboard! (Android)
APR - Hollow Knight (Switch)
APR - Sagebrush (Switch)
APR - Saints Row IV (Switch)
APR - Sonic The Hedgehog (Genesis on Switch)
APR - Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox)
APR - WarioWare: Get It Together! (Switch)
MAY - Cadillacs and Dinosaurs (Arcade on Xbox)
MAY - Super Mario 3D World (Switch)
MAY - You Must Build A Boat (Android)
MAY - Untitled Goose Game (Switch)
JUN - The Secret Of Monkey Island (PC-CD on Android)
JUN - Street Fighter (Switch)
JUN - Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (Switch)
JUN - Street Fighter II: Champion Edition (Switch)
JUN - Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting (Switch)
JUN - Super Street Fighter II (Switch)
JUN - Street Fighter Alpha (Switch)
JUN - Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Switch)
JUN - Disco Elysium (Switch)
JUL - Portal (Switch)
JUL - Poinpy (Android)
JUL - Dishonored: Definitive Edition (Xbox)
JUL - Portal: Still Alive (Switch)
AUG - X-Com 2 (Switch)
SEP - Monkey Island 2: Le Chuck's Revenge (PC on Android)
SEP - Grid Legends: Story Mode (Xbox)
SEP - Batman: Arkham Knight (Xbox)
OCT - X-Com 2: War Of The Chosen (Switch)
OCT - Curse Of Monkey Island (PC on Android)
OCT - Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)
NOV - Mafia: Definitive Edition (Xbox)

I remember enjoying this when it originally came out for PC back in the day, so was excited to play this remake. It's a funny one, that is definitely more than the sum of its parts. Very little about this game is better than average. The driving is bad, the gun combat is bad, the controls and animation aren't great and the graphics were plagued with terrible ghosting that was so jarring it almost put me off playing. This may be an issue with my TV since I've not seen anyone else mention it, but it's not been an issue with any other games I've played. But the story is good. It's nothing surprising, a classic mafia tale, but very good voice acting and nicely told. So I did enjoy this, but I'll repeat, I think a lot of this game is barely average, but for some reason all put together it makes for an enjoyable experience.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

I'd agree, although I thought the graphics were fantastic and don't remember any ghosting issues. I thought it was incredible looking when it was raining. I was playing on Series X so maybe that made some difference with the ghosting and graphics but I don't think it should.
Agree on the shooting, I distinctly remember the hit detection not being great as there were multiple instances where I would be shooting at an enemy behind cover but a small part of their body would be slightly out of cover, so I would shoot that body part but it would never register. It would only register when they stood up to come out of cover.
I agree that the driving wasn't good either but I'm not sure if that is slightly deliberate as with them going for a very authentic feel for the whole game, I imagine cars back then weren't great to drive haha.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I do think it's my TV, I'd be interested to see it again if I get a new one. There was one other thing that was totally silly in the game. The intermission parts where you're talking to the cop in the diner supposedly take place in 1939. The bulk of the game takes place around five years earlier. When Tommy is recruited he's a fresh faced 20ish year old, but then in the epilogue which takes place in 1959 he's a grey haired elderly man, but by the game logic he'd only be about 45/50. Additionally, there's a scene where the cop shows Tommy a photo of the mob boss with Al Capone. The date says it was taken about 20 years previous, but Tommy says "they were just kids..." but in the game timeline the boss would still have been at least 35/40 :lol: It's a little thing, but I noticed it and it didn't make any sense!
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Haha, considering how the game goes into so much detail on the little things, it's odd that isn't picked up on.
MattL

Post by MattL »

Jan 2: Days Gone, PS5
Feb 27: Demon's Souls (2020), PS5
May 8: Deathloop, PS5
June 9: King of Fighters 15, PS5
July 4: Sonic Mania, PS4
July 16: Dragon Quest 11S Definitive Edition, PS4
July 22: God of War (2018), PS5
Aug 10: Elden Ring, PS5
Aug 15: Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, PS5
Aug 21: Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered, PS5
Sept 6: The Walking Dead: A New Frontier, PS4
Sept 6: What Remains of Edith Finch, PS5
Sept 16: Dead Cells, PS4
Sept 22: A Plague Tale - Innocence, PS5
Oct 16: Hades, PS5
Oct 16: Death's Gambit, PS4
Nov 15: Dishonored - Death of the Outsider, PS4

Hades: I think I'm done, for now anyway. I really enjoyed this game, but much like most Rogue-likes, after a certain number of playthroughs (in this case, 80-something), I just need to move on to something else, because I feel like I've seen all that I need to see. Replaying the game again and again with increasing heat levels would probably bring some new challenges, but I was ready to move on. Highly recommended.

Death's Gambit: I haven't really "completed" the game, but I'm very much finished with it. Much like Dead Cells a couple month ago, I bought this one launch week and never finished. Unlike Dead Cells which I loved immediately, I actually really disliked this game upon buying it. That being said, I know much was said of the Afterlife expansion having fixed the game, so I thought I would try it again. For me, Afterlife still hasn't fixed the biggest problems - the controls are sluggish and the platforming is finicky. This is a hard do not recommend.

Dishonored - DOTO: This was an amazing breath of fresh air after Arkane's Deathloop. It showed me that I wasn't looking at the Dishonored series with nostalgia when comparing it to Deathloop. The Dishonored series really is that good and Deathloop really was that big of a misstep for Arkane. Anyhow, story-wise, I've never really cared about Billie Lurk or Daud, which is why it took me so long to play this game. They are both professional murderers, but we're supposed to sympathize with them for some reason. Nope! Not me! My Corvo Attano would end both of them without a second though. BUT! I love the Dishonored universe and the mystery of the Void and The Outsider, so I really enjoyed revisiting it and learning of the Outsider's origins, although I personally disagree with Daud and Billie blaming the Outsider for everything wrong in this world. He gave them their powers. They chose to abuse those powers and kill people with them. Gameplay-wise, I think we all know what to expect from the imsim, apartment explorer genre. Break into places, steal things, take out targets. Everything you want from Dishonored is here, but in a budget sized package. Cheers Arkane! Get back to this series or at least this genre and leave Deathloop alone.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

09/01 - Hotshot Racing
03/02 - Heavenly Sword
20/02 - ICO
05/03 - Asura's Wrath
17/04 - The Darkness
20/04 - The Darkness II
27/05 - GRID Autosport
02/06 - Lost in Random
13/06 - God Hand
28/06 - Gungrave
23/07 - Leaving Lyndow
01/08 - Eastshade
23/09 - Ghost Rider
15/10 - Toren
27/10 - Close to the Sun
31/10 - Silent Hill
18/11 - The Elder Scrolls III: Bloodmoon

I ended up liking this quite a bit. It’s still not as good as the main game, and a few of the issues I had with Tribunal remain. But it also improved on a lot of what I didn’t like about that expansion, so I definitely prefer this one to that.

Having the new island of Solstheim to explore makes for a nice chance of scenery. It’s kind of interesting seeing this graphical engine that seemed so well suited to the strange landscape of its main setting put towards a more traditional Nordic fantasy landscape, and it does an okay job at it. The more northern parts of the island do the snowy tundra thing well. The smooth modelling of the ground this game has lends itself well to snow drifts. The southern parts that are more forested struggle a bit though. They try to add more density with trees and bushes than the mainland had, but you can tell it can’t really pull it off. Still, it gives it some of that Morrowind character even in this very different feeling place. It’s kind of cool to see how much of this visual design feels very consistent with Skyrim though, particularly with the style of architecture. It’s a bit odd playing this after Skyrim, and perhaps hurt its potential for novelty, but it’s cool seeing how faithful what came after is to this, especially when the series is known for not exactly sticking to that. It is making me want to revisit Skyrim again too, and this location in particular.

The worldbuilding and storytelling does feel like a step down from the main game though, much like Tribunal did. The writing is much simpler, and doesn’t have as much going on. But I think I can let it slide this time, since this is something that is much more distinct from the main game. The events of Tribunal were very closely linked to the stuff going on in the main game, so it was disappointing when it didn’t carry on that same level of writing. But Bloodmoon is totally disconnected. It doesn’t need to live up to something that already exists. The fact that it is a new setting and culture probably helps it too. It feels like a small taste of something different, rather than trying to continue something that already set a very high bar.

Actually playing this expansion was much more fun than Tribunal too. Having a new location helps a lot, and having it structured as a new chunk of overworld that you can freely explore is much more enjoyable. Quest design is much less tedious this time around as well. It’s usually fairly clear what your objective is for any given quest, and they have you doing a range of things that encourage you to explore. Much better than the needle in a haystack design of the last expansion.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Jan 23: Yakuza 3
Feb 12: Wonderful 101 Remastered
Mar 25: Freedom Planet
May 22: Psychonauts 2
July 24: Yakuza 4
Aug 13: A Hat in Time
Aug 14: Dragon Quest VIII
Sep 24: Moon RPG Remix Adventure
Oct 8: Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Nov 11: Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy

Finished this a while ago but never got around to writing up my thoughts until now. I had not played these games since I was a child in the late 90s so it was interesting seeing what it would be like to return to these after so long. I am going to go through each one in order.

Crash Bandicoot: This entry was the one I played least as a kid so this was actually the one I had fewer memories of. And sweet Jesus was it tough! I had heard that the jumping was modified from the originals so you spend less time in the air so other players have said that this is actually tougher than the original. I well believe it. I died due to instances where I swore I jumped in time but the game said otherwise. The bridge levels were an absolute nightmare and I gladly took the opportunity to skip the worst parts by jumping on the ropes. I still died countless times, despite that little trick.

Then there was the DLC level Stormy Ascent. It has been a very long time where I was screaming swears at the screen but this evil bastard of a level did it to me. For so many jumps you have to have exquisite timing to make it through in one piece and it is obnoxiously long. Also got countless game overs due to going in on four lives. So I had to grind the earlier levels (which were now delightfully easy) for lives before I could comfortably tackle it. Went in with 65 lives and blasted through the first couple of checkpoints with my first life! So I thought this could be easier than I thought. But the latter half of the level is truly a nightmare with the timed platforms, moving platforms and those damn birds you need to bounce off of in order to finish the level. I was down to 7 lives but with steady nerves I cleared it and did not get a game over! I am never touching that cursed level again especially not to get the gem. The gem requirements are to smash every box in a level but without dying. No, not doing that. Shit like this ensures I will never touch a Souls game. This already tested my nerves to a degree where I have little tolerance for having to repeat the same sections of a game again and again. Ironically enough, the bosses are far less challenging and I was able to get through them with little trouble. So all in all, this was alright but maybe a tad too old school difficulty wise for me to really get on with. However, auto saving and the extra masks along with extra checkpoints given if you are struggling did make it a bit more bearable. Really can’t see myself going back to the original anytime soon.

Crash Bandicoot 2 Cortex strikes back: Wow the improvements made here are massive. You can now crouch which opens up the moveset massively. Crawling, sliding, slide jumps, high jumps and belly flops can now be performed by the bandicoots and the level design implements use of these new skills quite nicely. Levels are themselves far more diverse in setting. The polar bear riding level that was on a demo disc of Official Playstation Magazine back in the day was my introduction to the Crash series and I still had fun going through those stages with that absolutely adorable cub. Another improvement is that gems do not require you to smash boxes in one go so getting them is far more feasible. Secret exits on certain stages unlocking new levels are also a nice touch and encourages more exploration and paying attention to your surroundings. Bosses are still easy for the most part but were fun to fight. However, Cortex was laughably easy in this game. The obstacles only delay you not hurt you while you are chasing him and I only failed once. Pretty anticlimactic. Other than that, I had lots of fun with this and could easily see myself going back to the original. Also glad I started the game with the first Crash because this was such a lovely experience in comparison to the first one and it is nice to get the low point over with before tackling the good stuff.

Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped: This was the one I played the most of back in the PS1 days. Easily has the most memorable soundtrack of the trilogy and was also even more varied in its gameplay than Crash 2. One huge difference I found going back to this is that on a casual playthrough at least this is by far the easiest of the trilogy. I racked up at least 40 lives before I got a game over in the 4th set of levels! I enjoyed the new moves here also. Double jumps and spin attacks extending your horizontal jumps would have been life savers in Crash 1! The fruit bazooka is also handy for getting those boxes floating in water or nitro crates so making obtaining the gems that bit easier. The abundance of vehicles in the game is fine for the most part but the motorbike stages could be a bit of a nightmare to complete sometimes. The platforming stages were good fun on the whole and again with the time travel motif, levels were again diverse in setting and what you were doing. Bosses were still easy, Cortex went down in only two attempts. Yeah this was still a really solid, enjoyable platformer.

So for the most part, I really liked this trilogy and it was only the first one that I really did not think was that great. But the other two were great fun and live up to my fond memories of them back in the PS1 days. Of the three, it is probably Crash 2 I liked the most. This was due to the sheer jump in quality coming off the first game and that the levels were diverse but still stuck mainly to platforming. I am glad that my memories of Crash were not strictly rose tinted and will definitely try out Crash 4 in the future. Definitely not going to 100% complete it though!

Nov 18: A Short Hike

I will save my thoughts for the show but very sweet little title. Enjoyed it immensely.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

23rd Jan - God of War (PS4)
10th Feb - Forza Horizon 5 (Xbox Series S)
11th Feb - Starfox 64 (Nintendo Switch)
14th Feb - Sunset Overdrive (Xbox Series S)
16th Feb - Superliminal (Xbox Series S)
12th Jun - Elden Ring (Xbox Series S)
23rd June - TMNT: Shredder's Revenge (Xbox Series S)
11th July - Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (Xbox Series S)
9th Sept - Hitman 3 + DLC (Xbox Series S)
21st Sept - Immortality (Xbox Series S)
10th October - Neon White (Nintendo Switch)
17th October - Return to Monkey Island (Nintendo Switch)
5th November - Hitman (Xbox Series S)

20th November - Prodeus (Xbox Series S)

This is something I didn't know I needed in my life. A community made FPS onslaught that is somehow what you get when you take the original DOOM and smash it together with the 2016 remake. A graphic style that feels really unique, a blistering soundtrack, weapons that feel so heftily satisfying, level design that evokes Quake / Duke Nukem 3D at their finest, constant need to be moving and an endless stream of bad guys. The more you string your kills together and stay alive, the more the scenery turns red like Bloodborne mixed with Splatoon.

It goes a bit Gothic Halo near the end and the enemy variety, if we're being critical, is a 100% pastiche of DOOMs but somehow it manages to feel like it's own thing. And have a decent map.

I just love the level design here. I never felt lost, I loved the secrets... It was great.

One of the years gems and a credible top 5 GOTY for me.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jann) Terminator Resistance(platinum) - PS5.
(Jan) Call of Duty: Cold War - Series X.
(Jan) Dishonored 2 - PS5.
(Jan) Aliens: Fireteam Elite - Series X.
(May) State of Decay 2 - Series X.
(June) Chorus - Series X.
(June) Shadow Warrior 3 - PS5.
(June) TMNT: Shredders Revenge - Series X.
(July) TMCC: Halo Reach - Series X.
(July) The Dark Pictures: Little Hope - PS5.
(July) Tiny Tina's Wonderlands - Series X.
(July) Far Cry 6 - Series X.
(July) Road 96(1000GS) - Series X.
(July) Trek to Yomi - Series X.
(July) Stray - PS5.
(July) Toy Soldiers: Cold War - Xbox 360.
(Aug) Avicii Invector - PS5.
(Sept) GRID Legends - Series X.
(Sept) Crossfire X(1000GS) - Series X.
(Sept) Metal Hellsinger - Series X.
(Oct) Bayonetta Remaster - Series X.
(Oct) Prodeus - Series X.
(Oct) Battle Islands - Series X.
(Oct) Tinykin - Series X.
(Oct) New Super Lucky's Tale - Series X.
(Oct) Dead Space 2 - Xbox 360.
(Oct) Scorn(1000GS) - Series X.
(Oct) Uncharted 4: LoTC - PS5.
(Oct) Final Fantasy VII Remake - PS5.
(Oct) Modern Warfare II - Series X.
(Nov) Somerville(1000GS) - Series X.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

09/01 - Hotshot Racing
03/02 - Heavenly Sword
20/02 - ICO
05/03 - Asura's Wrath
17/04 - The Darkness
20/04 - The Darkness II
27/05 - GRID Autosport
02/06 - Lost in Random
13/06 - God Hand
28/06 - Gungrave
23/07 - Leaving Lyndow
01/08 - Eastshade
23/09 - Ghost Rider
15/10 - Toren
27/10 - Close to the Sun
31/10 - Silent Hill
24/11 - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition

So I did go ahead and return to this game after Bloodmoon. I didn't get through this entire game so quickly though, I picked up my old existing save. One I started way back in 2017, only to find out I was actually near the end of the game already. On the Companions questline, the Civil War, and the main quest too. Pretty convenient actually, since I wanted more to get to the Dragonborn expansion anyway, and finishing up what I had left in the base game was a good way to get reacquainted first. Although I guess I did miss out on a lot of good moments that I already went through years ago.

Still had fun with it though. This game has built up a lot of hate over the years, and I even agree with a lot of the criticism, but actually playing it again I have to admit I was enjoying it. Somewhat surprisingly it's a very pretty game still. Some stunning environments and a great atmosphere. Just exploring around the world and taking it in still hits the spot, and that's always been one of my favourite things about these games. It is a bit disappointing how limited a lot of the mechanics are though, especially coming right off Morrowind. It does feel like the possibility space is drastically reduced, and a lot of skills that were pretty useful are now gone. In its place there's a huge emphasis on crafting, which requires an extremely high amount of use to level up your skills to get to what you actually want to make. Melee may be more satisfying and competent than Morrowind, but it's still not exactly good.

The story and worldbuilding are an an odd element though. It is true it feels a lot less fleshed out than Morrowind, but I think there are parts of it that have potential. While my time with the story has been very limited, there were parts I could see holding the same kind of intrigue and nuance as some of the stuff Morrowind deals with, but the game seems uninterested in exploring them outside of a few hints that you need to go out of your way to find. Some of the big set pieces are still cool though. That kind of thing has caught heat over the years too, with how this engine struggles to create something of a truly impressive scale, but in some spots it still manages to impress. The dragons have a real presence to them, and some of the stuff in the finale is pretty cool too.

Well, on to Dragonborn then. Haven't decided if I want to do Dawnguard though. Maybe afterwards.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

11. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
Really enjoyable COD campaign. The original Modern Warfare is my favourite still but I also really liked the Modern Warfare reboot in 2019, I thought that would be difficult to top but I think they have done so with MW2. The first 2-3 missions I could take or leave but from the mission where you drive and jump between vehicles I thought it was very impressive. It did all the usual great set piece missions but also did new things never seen before in a COD campaign before which I commend them before. There were some stealth missions which took small inspiration from Hitman and even had some basic crafting to make traps, then the aforementioned mission driving trucks and jumping between them. The story I didn't really follow but other than that I would highly recommend the campaign. 8/10.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

09/01 - Hotshot Racing
03/02 - Heavenly Sword
20/02 - ICO
05/03 - Asura's Wrath
17/04 - The Darkness
20/04 - The Darkness II
27/05 - GRID Autosport
02/06 - Lost in Random
13/06 - God Hand
28/06 - Gungrave
23/07 - Leaving Lyndow
01/08 - Eastshade
23/09 - Ghost Rider
15/10 - Toren
27/10 - Close to the Sun
31/10 - Silent Hill
24/11 - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition
28/11 - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn

A fun expansion, and an interesting comparison to this location as depicted in Morrowind. They changed a lot about Solstheim in this depiction. Covering it in ash and bringing over a Morrowind flavour is certainly a bold choice. One that I like in some ways, but I don't think quite works in others. It's cool to see some of the art design and aesthetic of that setting in this higher detail, and the story for how things got like that pushes the lore forward in an interesting way, so that this world doesn't feel static over time. But I can't say that it entirely succeeds at making you feel like you're in Morrowind again. The way characters talk and animate, as well as the designs of clothes and stuff still feels very Skyrim.

The geography of the island is very different too. I guess that's not really a good or bad thing, but it makes it somewhat hard to believe this is the same place as before. Stuff is in vaguely the same position, but the landscape around is vastly different, in a way that definitely couldn't have happened in the time between both games. The island feels smaller too. I don't know if that's actually true or if it's just a result of stuff like movement speed and camera zoom, but it feels too drastic to be put down just to being an illusion.

Visiting the realm of Apocrypha is very cool though. A very strange and unusual place with a unique aesthetic. It also provides some room for some more creative dungeon design, with how the walls can shift and bend.

Not sure about playing Dawnguard now though. I think I've had my fill of this game for now.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

#15 - Pokemon Scarlet (2022, Switch)

Hoo boy, this game. It's a mess, but I enjoyed it a lot.

The Cufant in the room is that this game runs like ass and looks like shit. Both of these things are absolutely true. The framerate is completely unstable, texture and asset pop-in reminds me of Mass Effect 1 on 360, the lighting and shadows are honest to goodness as bad as Unity guff on Steam, the art direction ranges from awful to great, the game is full of low-poly textures and basic assets...

But I would honestly say this is probably the best Pokemon game since Black and White 2 in 2012.

While the majority of the game is quite ugly, the Pokemon models - created by Creatures Inc., an external studio - look fantastic, with textures that are appropriately fuzzy or metallic or slimey in a way that makes sense for the Pokemon. This is a massive upgrade from Sword/Shield, where everything looked like it was made of plastic. A lot of the new Pokemon designs are fantastic too, with Flamigo, Rabsca and Wo-Chien becoming new all-time favourites for me.

The story is hardly compelling fare (for the most part), but the decision to structure the game with three separate and converging plotline with different gameplay mechanics in each was a marked improvement from Gen 8 in particular. Where the game really shines, though, is the last three-is hours of the main story... It may be some of the best Pokemon storytelling and set dressing the series has ever seen, and I would really love to see Game Freak go all-in on an ambitious sci-fi story for their next games. They keep hinting at it with both Sun/Moon and their Ultra versions (especially in Ultra where the best portion of that game takes place in an alternate Ultra dimension) and with Arceus, but I genuinely think we're long overdue to move past the quaint villages and into a much more ambitious sci-fi or sci-fantasy setting. The last bit of Scarlet and Violet show that such a game could be fantastic, and I hope the developers hear this loud and clear.

Mechanically, I think the series is the best it's ever been. While I find the Tera Type stuff superfluous and pointless, the meat and potatoes of Pokemon combat, training and evolution is polished to a mirror sheen here, abandoning a lot of the random chance guff in favour of more player control. Really excited to see how the meta game develops, because there's some really great changes here. Catching and evolving is good fun here too, and the choice to abandon tall grass encounters entirely for strictly overworld models is one I definitely support. The Tera Raids and Wonder Trade system also offer alternative means to obtain rare mons, in continued evolution of mechanics introduced in past generations.

The online component of this game is hot garbage, however, to the point where I have had rare encounters in Tera Raids completely soft lock my game. Getting into raids is difficult, because the lobby system they have does not refresh frequently enough... You will wait around 150 seconds (I counted) for the game to tell you you can't join a raid, and it takes around 5 minutes(!) before you even have the option to refresh the list. Absolutely absurd in 2022, to have online support this abhorrent.

This game isn't finished, and it shows. Nintendo and The Pokemon Company have demonstrated a clear disrespect for their customers, and even though I liked this game quite a bit, I am becoming extremely hesitant to buy any Nintendo products going forward. People online are blaming Game Freak, but the simple reality is that two AAA games in a single year is an insane demand of any studio, and especially egregious when those development deadlines are arbitrarily set to coincide with the release of toys and merchandise. If Pokemon Scarlet and Violet owners are not given an apology and free DLC as compensation for their time spent play testing a beta build, I am legitimately considering abandoning my support for the Switch entirely and just moving on. I cannot be the only one. This sort of corporatism offends me, and I'm sure the developers are burnt out and pissed off too.

Hopefully someone in the Pokemon Company management gets a kick in the ass, and developers and customers are treated with the respect they deserve going forward. But I'm not crossing my fingers.

&iso2022