Shinobi

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Shinobi

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your thoughts and opinions for Shinobi (1987) for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

A friendly reminder that where the feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but keeping it brief is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mostly reading out essays. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.
    Tolkientaters

Re: 540: Shinobi (1987)

Post by Tolkientaters »

I checked this out for the pod on Xbox, thinking I'd enjoy it especially after loving the Streets of Rage series.

However that didn't end up happening, I think the game is just a little too simplistic for me to get much out of it. I didn't really get into gaming until the 8th generation of consoles, so I had no familiarity with this series, and coming to it fresh there wasn't a lot that drew me in.

It may have been down to expectations, the older console and arcade games I enjoyed like X Men, Streets of Rage 2, and Alien Soldier came out in the 90s with better hardware to work with. I recognize that this game may have been good or great for the time, but coming to it now, not much about it stands up.
    Alex79

Re: 540: Shinobi (1987)

Post by Alex79 »

I've only ever played one version of this game and that's the Sega Master System port. A friend of mine owned it and we used to play it quite a lot. I remember thinking the game was really tough, and it took us a long while to get through it, but we did in the end! I remember the boss fights, at least after the first one, being particular sticking points. I think the series really stepped up a notch with Shinobi 3, but obviously we're not talking about that game, but this original I do have a lot of nostalgia for, if not very clear memories of the actual game itself!