Yakuza 4

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Yakuza 4

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your thoughts and opinions for Yakuza 4 for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

A friendly reminder that where the feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but keeping it brief is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mostly reading out essays. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.
Jockney

Re: 530: Yakuza 4

Post by Jockney »

Long-time listener, first-time caller.

Yakuza 4 is where the series started to lose me.

I can accept a huge subterranean tower emerging from the facade of a golden pagoda, much as I can accept the existence of an underground gladiatorial fighting arena where ex-convicts fight to the death. Such examples are a goofy staple of the series and usually provide colour and charm to its world. But it is in Yakuza 4 that these moments really began to detract from my engagement with the story— a story that the game otherwise asks us to take seriously. Whether it be retconning the 2nd entry in the series in order to insert a hackneyed police conspiracy into the ever-increasing list of problems threatening the existence of the Tojo clan, or the most outrageously stupid false flag operation I have seen in any piece of fiction (an observation made, to add insult to injury, by another of the game’s antagonists), never before has a Yakuza title asked me to suspend my disbelief to such limits while offering so comparatively little in return. Part of the problem here seems to be Kiryu. Many of these retcons and plot contrivances appear to have been committed in order to keep our erstwhile protagonist in the picture for the game’s final act.

But this is not Kiryu’s story and no amount of creative plotting was able to convince me that he was crucial to the events of Yakuza 4. But if it’s not Kiryu’s story then whose is it? The developers introduce three new protagonists, with their own backgrounds and motivations — a welcome shift. Disappointingly, none of the three are allowed enough time for them to come into their own as characters. This is a real shame. I could easily see each of them supporting their own, fully-fledged entry into the series. A Saejima-Majima game where you alternate between the two characters— Yakuza 0 style — one planning to bust out of prison and seek revenge while the other gets to the bottom of the ‘85 betrayal, or an Akiyama game which largely backgrounds the clan machinations in favour of noir detective missions. I’ve heard that the series does take a decisive step away from the established formula with Judgement and Like a Dragon, but with two full games left in the Kiryu saga I’m left feeling like that poor sap in the Kamurocho underground — chipping away slowly, more in hope than expectation of finding further treasures.

As an aside, can someone, please, for the love of God, call Okinawa child protection services. When Kiryu left Haruka alone in the house with Saejima — the man who he had seen nearly rape her hours earlier — I nearly screamed. Whether it is consistently endangering the lives of everyone around him or abandoning the orphanage at a drop of a hat to fix the problems of complete strangers, the man shows a complete disregard for the safety of his charges.
Jobobonobo

Re: 530: Yakuza 4

Post by Jobobonobo »

This was a big improvement on Yakuza 3 in my opinion. The graphics are nicer on the eyes, adding access to sewers, rooftops and Little Asia really expanded Kamurocho and made it new and exciting again and playing multiple characters also mixed up the formula nicely with their various fighting styles and storylines. I also appreciated that 4 starts with a new character and gets into the story relatively quickly. Overall, Yakuza 4 is still not up to the heights of 0 and Kiwami 2 but this is a solid no 3 in my ranking of the Yakuza games I have played so far.

A few observations:
Kamurocho thugs are really some of the dumbest videogame enemies going. Who looks at a mountain of a man like Saejima and thinks “yeah, I can take him on no problem.” It is great that you can finally swing motorbikes around with Saejima and give these fools a proper beatdown.

Tanimura is easily the most overpowered of the main four. Him automatically performing a heat action when you get the heat meter high enough makes quick work of most enemies.

This game has what I think is the strongest soundtrack in the series after 0. This is a lot of diverse mood setters in this title with my two particular highlights being the dream-like David Lynchesque “Whiskey and Rhapsody” and the theme when you spar with Nair being extremely reminiscent of a PJ Harvey track. If Sound of Play ever comes back, I will definitely be suggesting some tracks from this game.

Kiryu can grab downed enemies by the leg and swing them into the ground again! I loved doing this continuously to Kuze in Yakuza 0 and it is great to see it return.

TWR: Crooked cop shenanigans