Bringing back your favourites... Which is it?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
dezm0nd

Bringing back your favourites... Which is it?

Post by dezm0nd »

With Powerslave Exhumed coming out and various other Nightdive Studios games bringing back some nostalgia recently (Shadowman, Quake) I was pondering with Leon on our Slack channel which games we'd like to see get the KEX treatment (Or similar) from the past.

Nightdive have done ALOT of work on PC but i would like to see them bring more to consoles but if I had to choose one game from the N64 to get KEX'd...

Would Painkiller be a good shout? I'd love for that to be ported to modern consoles. I think they're actually doing a new one so it's not out of the question
Simonsloth

Re: Bringing back your favourites... Which is it?

Post by Simonsloth »

It’s a boring answer but I’d like to see metal gear solid with a bit of a spit and polish. A bluepoint style remaster.

If we’re talking Nightdive then I’m already excited for system shock.
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

Great topic but hard to keep the wishlist to a minimum!

Unreal Tournament 1999 - A sequel/community reboot to this was in development with the community until Fortnite became the monster it is.

Virtua Tennis - Practically the perfect tennis game with an excellent single player mode to go along with the expectedly great multiplayer. Serving against bowling pins has never been so much fun!

Bangai-O - Because it's an incredible game and I've not played anything like it since.

Diddy Kong Racing - 'Adventure Kart' should be an established genre with tons of titles; I love playing karting games but the single player modes are never as excellent as DKR's was. I'd take Wacky Races too!

Skies of Arcadia - Get Monolith Soft on this to do justice to the scope and scale of being a sky pirate.

Gunstar Heroes - After SOR4 and Windjammers 2 I'd happily let DotEmu bring this back in glorious fashion.

Mainly though, as my profile picture suggests, I'd take Banjo X over all the above combined.

A guy can dream, right?
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Rage Racer. Feels like a bit of a forgotten game nowadays, or at least was very much overshadowed by it's predecessors and sequel. But its easily my favourite among the Ridge Racer series and a real standout of the PS1 library.

Would love an HD remake.

Final Fantasy VI remade with the Octopath Traveler engine.

A full remake/remaster of Final Fantasy VII that doesn't throw the baby out with the bathwater. I know the Remake is apparently very good, but it isn't FFVII.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

It would also be kinda cool if Nintendo did a definitive remaster of all of the classic 2d Mario titles that fixed any bugs/glitches and allowed the option to play in widescreen, with or without All-Stars graphical enhancements etc.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Rhaegyr wrote: February 9th, 2022, 3:26 pm Great topic but hard to keep the wishlist to a minimum!

Unreal Tournament 1999
Diddy Kong Racing
Banjo X

A guy can dream, right?
I reckon we would be friends, ya know
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Here's a new article on/interview with Nightdive.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ ... t-our-past
Cornelius_Smiff

Post by Cornelius_Smiff »

A proper Wings remake would be nice unlike the one we got, which was okay but stripped away some of the small but integral quirks e.g. the silent moviesque slide moments or starting dogfights in different places depending on the prevailing narrative for the mission as opposed to in a line flying at the enemy. Imagine this with some tongue in cheek but genuinely heartfelt voice acting and updated (not HD style) painted graphics.

Same for Defender of the Crown too I'd say..
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

I would also love to see a remake of the original SNES Star Fox - updated with analogue controls and a level select.

Graphical overhaul - HD, widescreen, 60fps but retaining the same signature abstract, low-poly look of the original.

IIRC there was a Star Fox minigame in the Wii Warioware and it looked so cool in higher resolution and running at a smooth framerate.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Bundle it in a package with a similar remake of Star Fox 2 and a port of the DS 64 remake and I'd be in heaven.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

I usually don't think too much about remakes/remasters of games I played before, I usually use them to catch up on games I missed.

This year's Sonic collection might have a Christian Whitehead (or at least his style) remade Sonic 3 & Knuckles. The other Mega Drive/ Mega CD games have had this for ages. Maybe they could move on to the little fella in my avatar after that? :)

I'd usually think of Klonoa 2 as well because it looked far worse on LCD screens than on CRT but the remaster got announced.

I suppose I'd go for an updated version of SSX Tricky, maybe meld the first 2 games together so there are different versions of the same tracks.
KissMammal wrote: February 9th, 2022, 6:52 pm Rage Racer. Feels like a bit of a forgotten game nowadays, or at least was very much overshadowed by it's predecessors and sequel. But its easily my favourite among the Ridge Racer series and a real standout of the PS1 library.
I only played a demo of that way back, sounds interesting though. Would also take a Type 4 remake of course.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

What I loved about Rage Racer is that it had that classic Ridge Racer thing of having one single track with three different - and very distinct - versions thereof. All of the track variations had so much character and insane levels of verticality.

It also had a very strong art direction - all grey skies and a Central European setting, totally at odds with the cartoonish quasi West Coast/tropical feel of the original two games. It also had a really absorbing grand prix mode with various upgrades and customisation options. Again, the car models being more Euro-inspired.

I don't know what it was but Type 4 never clicked with me in the same way.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'd like a package of all the Dizzy games on Switch. Not even fussed about remasters, just stick the ROMs in a wrapper and bung it on the eShop. If they were feeling frisky they could add the lives system from Dizzy 3 or the energy bar system from Dizzy 4 to the first two games just to make them slightly less brutal.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

At this point it feels like Square are trolling Switch owners by porting and remaking every RPG in their library except Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 1-6.

Baffling.

Having said that, I will absolutely take those Front Mission remakes though.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

KissMammal wrote: February 10th, 2022, 8:27 pm At this point it feels like Square are trolling Switch owners by porting and remaking every RPG in their library except Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 1-6.

Baffling.
It's just weird, isn't it. I just can't think of any reason other than deliberately creating that want for it from fans, to try to drive up the demand to fever point before they finally release them all.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I’m mostly happy with playing old games on old systems, but Nightmare Creatures on PS1 is hard to endure now, and a spruce-up of some old arcade shooters - DoDonPachi, Progear, 19XX: The War Against Destiny and Batsugun in particular - would be nice.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

I think there are a ton of PS1 games could really benefit from being remastered in HD with stable, clean 3d graphics and some other quality of life enhancements like faster loading times. Not sure what the level of demand is, or whether its even technically possible in a lot of cases though. I know this is somewhat possible with modern emulators, but in my experience emulation anything post the 16bit era is very hit and miss and is kind of a hobby in and of itself.

Off the top of my head; Brave Fencer Musashi, Silent Bomber, Ghost in the Shell, Metal Gear Solid, Vagrant Story, Suikodens 1 & 2, Tekken, Parappa, Einhander, Ape Escape, Bushido Blade, Xenogears, Ridge Racers 1-4 and on and on...
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

In terms of games that I played which I want to see be remastered/remade then I would like Sony to do an Ape Escape trilogy remake ala Crash and Spyro. I remember those being fun platformers and it would be nice to see that series get some more love. Far less likely is I would like a remaster of Rocket: Robot on Wheels for the N64. Unlikely because Sucker Punch were the developer but Ubisoft were the publisher so have no idea who would even have rights to the character and it might be a legal mess but it was a great but relatively unknown game so I am not sure if there would even be much demand for it. Pity as it was one of the few non Nintendo/Rare 3D platformers that really punched above its weight on the N64.

As for stuff I would like to play but never got the chance to, oh there is a lot of stuff in that regard! The first two Custom Robo games, Einhander, Brave Fencer Mushashi, Giftpia, Captain Rainbow and Panzer Dragoon Saga. Stuff that either was never released in Europe or is crazy rare/expensive to get the original copy. The good news is that a lot of stuff that was previously Japan only is getting re-released worldwide these days (Moon Remix RPG Adventure and the upcoming Live a Live being cult classics that only recently got released outside Japan) so there is now a greater chance than ever some of these beloved titles might get translated and exposed to a wider audience. I'm certainly more optimistic about this sort of stuff than I would have been 10 years ago, that's for sure!
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

I'm surprised no one has done an HD remaster of Silent Hill 2.

:>
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Magical_Isopod wrote: February 14th, 2022, 4:51 am I'm surprised no one has done an HD remaster of Silent Hill 2.
Was the beautiful HD Collection not good enough? They even made it sound better!!! Seriously though, have you seen the Enhanced Edition fan project? Not what we’re both looking for, but interesting all the same. http://www.enhanced.townofsilenthill.com/SH2/