Elden Ring

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Feirsteax

Re: Elden Ring

Post by Feirsteax »

My mind immediately goes to the one by the Minor Erdtree in Caelid... There's a painting site down there that gives you a pretty good item, and then a giant magical golem who has wayyyyy too many hit points and when you kill him he doesn't drop anything.

And everytime you want to fight him you have to do a really awkward bit of horse platforming. It's about the worst case of it I can think of, and I kind of have the feeling From did that on purpose to mess with whoever wanted to try killing that guy
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Rhaegyr wrote: March 31st, 2022, 10:05 am
Alex79 wrote: March 30th, 2022, 7:42 pm
Rhaegyr wrote: March 30th, 2022, 11:48 am Horse platforming is not fun in a lot of places where precision is required!
Yeah, but the game never asks you to do that. Any time you're balancing precariously on the edge of a cliff on a horse, it's because you've chosen to do so in order to try a sneaky shortcut or area skip or something.
There's definitely a few of areas I wouldn't have been able to reach if not for Torrent and his double jump (or his fall damage) - there's one area in particular you can't get to without doing this (as far as I know) and it was a pain in the arse.

Sure you don't have to do it but there's a lot of things you don't have to do in this game that are still a lot of fun!
You were the one saying it wasn't fun :lol:
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

Alex79 wrote: March 31st, 2022, 5:30 pm
Rhaegyr wrote: March 31st, 2022, 10:05 am
Alex79 wrote: March 30th, 2022, 7:42 pm
Rhaegyr wrote: March 30th, 2022, 11:48 am Horse platforming is not fun in a lot of places where precision is required!
Yeah, but the game never asks you to do that. Any time you're balancing precariously on the edge of a cliff on a horse, it's because you've chosen to do so in order to try a sneaky shortcut or area skip or something.
There's definitely a few of areas I wouldn't have been able to reach if not for Torrent and his double jump (or his fall damage) - there's one area in particular you can't get to without doing this (as far as I know) and it was a pain in the arse.

Sure you don't have to do it but there's a lot of things you don't have to do in this game that are still a lot of fun!
You were the one saying it wasn't fun :lol:
I'm confused!

I don't find precision horse platforming fun and I was trying to get across that there are a few areas (certainly one) that do require it - it's not optional.

My second point was there are other optional undertakings in the game you don't have to do that still remain a lot of fun - catacombs, gaol's etc.

Basically, horse platforming is mostly optional (so I avoid it) but the odd time it isn't optional grates on me a little.
Cornelius_Smiff

Post by Cornelius_Smiff »

I f**king hate Crucible Knights! But I also love their design. Specifically designed to hassle and beast you if you do any defensive tactics or common Souls type cheese moves ala double rolling to get behind. If you heal they will rush you and do a very powerful thrust attack, so make sure you are adequately far away (the moons of Jupiter will suffice).

Just made it to Altus (85 hours in) cleaned out Lirnia of all bosses and totally respecced my character to a faith scythe build with the godslayer seal (currently A rated in faith scaling whoo hoo). Been doing the Ranni questline and the Radahn bossfight was pretty epic.

Cannot get over how massive the the Siofra River undgerground part is. I feel like I have been here about 8 times in different chunks, but really enjoyed exploring and trying to clear it. Just the Imp bosses now and I have cleared them all down here (I think!).

All in all, still loving this game!
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Cornelius_Smiff wrote: April 1st, 2022, 9:28 pm I f**king hate Crucible Knights! But I also love their design. Specifically designed to hassle and beast you if you do any defensive tactics or common Souls type cheese moves ala double rolling to get behind. If you heal they will rush you and do a very powerful thrust attack, so make sure you are adequately far away (the moons of Jupiter will suffice).

Just made it to Altus (85 hours in) cleaned out Lirnia of all bosses and totally respecced my character to a faith scythe build with the godslayer seal (currently A rated in faith scaling whoo hoo). Been doing the Ranni questline and the Radahn bossfight was pretty epic.

Cannot get over how massive the the Siofra River undgerground part is. I feel like I have been here about 8 times in different chunks, but really enjoyed exploring and trying to clear it. Just the Imp bosses now and I have cleared them all down here (I think!).

All in all, still loving this game!
Yeah the Crucible Knights suck. They’re just so nakedly an algorithm programmed to heal-punish and input read you all the time, they’re just annoying to face. I’m glad they’ve largely backed off with these infinite poise, infinite stamina heavies after Dark Souls 3.

Nice to see another Faith build out here! I did upgrade the Winged Scythe to max and might main it again if I’m using more holy damage, but for now I’m running the Bloodhound Fang buffed with Bloodflame Blade, very fun play style seeing those blood loss pops on bosses as you backflip out of their reach.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I don't really like Caelid as an area. Not the way it looks, not the way it sounds, not the enemies.

That's all.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Alex79 wrote: April 2nd, 2022, 8:22 am I don't really like Caelid as an area. Not the way it looks, not the way it sounds, not the enemies.

That's all.
Ha ha. I’m the opposite with how it looks and sounds. My favourite area! Just wish it wasn’t quite so dangerous so I could enjoy it a bit more.
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

Sadly I think I'm close to abandoning this one (or at least leaving it for a little time).

The first 20-30 hours were glorious, right up until the end of Stormveil Castle. I'm now 80 hours in and mooching around Altus Plateau but it's just not grabbing me the way it used to. It's starting to feel more and more like a Souls game spread as thinly as possible across an (admittedly) interesting open world. I'm noticing the negatives more and more - the uninteresting mobs roaming around, the reused bosses, the same 'discoveries' of caves, tunnels, catacombs and the like, the same ruins that look like all the other ruins etc. I've taken down around 30+ bosses and I remember four of them. Four!

I'm still playing it but worryingly it's starting to feel like a chore instead of actively wanting to play it.

Maybe I just need a break from playing it. Even sadder, maybe I'm done with the Souls format :(
markfm007

Post by markfm007 »

Rhaegyr wrote: April 5th, 2022, 2:26 pm Sadly I think I'm close to abandoning this one (or at least leaving it for a little time).

The first 20-30 hours were glorious, right up until the end of Stormveil Castle. I'm now 80 hours in and mooching around Altus Plateau but it's just not grabbing me the way it used to. It's starting to feel more and more like a Souls game spread as thinly as possible across an (admittedly) interesting open world. I'm noticing the negatives more and more - the uninteresting mobs roaming around, the reused bosses, the same 'discoveries' of caves, tunnels, catacombs and the like, the same ruins that look like all the other ruins etc. I've taken down around 30+ bosses and I remember four of them. Four!

I'm still playing it but worryingly it's starting to feel like a chore instead of actively wanting to play it.

Maybe I just need a break from playing it. Even sadder, maybe I'm done with the Souls format :(
I'm 70 hours in and have decided to take a break. I find if I play anything intensively I start to see the seams and find myself doing things robotically. I'm still feeling very positively about the game, but I've spent so much time playing, discussing, and watching it that I'm just tired of it. I'll come back to it when it feels fresh again. I've finished up everything I want to do in Liurna, so Caelid's my next stop, and I'm more than happy to put that place off for a bit.
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

markfm007 wrote: April 5th, 2022, 5:53 pm
Rhaegyr wrote: April 5th, 2022, 2:26 pm Sadly I think I'm close to abandoning this one (or at least leaving it for a little time).

I'm 70 hours in and have decided to take a break. I find if I play anything intensively I start to see the seams and find myself doing things robotically. I'm still feeling very positively about the game, but I've spent so much time playing, discussing, and watching it that I'm just tired of it. I'll come back to it when it feels fresh again. I've finished up everything I want to do in Liurna, so Caelid's my next stop, and I'm more than happy to put that place off for a bit.
You've elucidated my feelings much better than I did! Really good points, think I'll do the same and try and let it breathe a little bit.
Pconpi

Post by Pconpi »

I’ll echo needing to take a break. I was about 45 hours in and just lost my momentum two weeks ago. Agreed the first 30 hours were so exciting and for all the reasons you both stated I lost my drive for now. But go figure I went back to Bloodborne to finally get the platinum and I am grinding through Chalice Dungeons and enjoying it…so 🤷‍♂️
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Interesting, me too. I'm around 70 hours, rinsed Limgrave and Liurnia and now in Caelid and fighting Radahn (probably spelled some of those words wrong) and feel like I need a break. Tapered off a little over the last week or so, but really going to focus on some other games for a while. Elden Ring is a masterpiece, but I don't want to burn out and resent it.
Tolkientaters

Post by Tolkientaters »

Just platinumed the game, I absolutely loved it, it's gone up as my all time favorite game and I can't wait for the DLC. There's just so much to see and the bosses are so creative. I think this is the most fantastical fantasy world I've ever played. I like that they made respecing relatively easy and gave you a decent amount of max upgrade materials. I just couldn't get enough of this game.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

FFS, think I've messed my character build up a bit. I was looking online for best DEX swords, and one name that kept coming up, that I already had, was the Moonveil. My INT was too low to use it though, and it's costing me 40k per level in runes so I thought I'd respec with Renalla.

I took a few points from STRENGTH which weren't really relevant, and a couple from DEX and now I can use the sword. Except it's still not as good as my Uchigatana+15 so I did all that for nothing. Might just use another Larval Tear or whatever they are to put the points back to where they were in the first place. I levelled the Moonveil up to +5 and it was better, but the Uchigatana still beats every sword I've found in the game so far.
Cornelius_Smiff

So 127 hours in and I finally made it to the Mountaintop of Giants, and what a momumentally awful part of the game this is. Feel's like they spent 10 seconds balancing this area or they just intended for it to be intentionally tedious. It's such a massive letdown after the Royal Capital (my fav area so far).

Volcano Manor was pretty fun though and I enjoyed the Rykard fight, more so for how visually impressive it looked.
Feirsteax

Post by Feirsteax »

Alex, if you're pure dex and no int, Uchigatana will be better than Moonveil for you. Even better if you started as the Samurai, as then you can get two Uchigatanas in your first playthrough and go for a dual wield approach. If not you can always pair it with the Wakizashi though that doesn't do quite as much damage, it still can powerstance if you equip it to your off-hand with a katana in your main.

Other options for dex include curved swords (there's one that does bleed I found, I think the Scavenger's Curved Sword it was called, and the flowing curved sword was also good) and the Cross Naginata which acts like a spear but has bleed and scales with Dex.

At one point I switched to using Cross Naginata and a brass shield, and it was such a mixup from how I'd spent the first 40 or so hours. Now I was tanking behind the shield, poking things till they bled and using the odd guard counter to break poise. A lot of fun.

Now I've beat the game (I clocked in at 240+ hours... absolutely crazy how much I've played this game lol) and I have mainly an INT build wiht lots of vigour and endurance so I can dual wield all those above weapons but have them infused with Cold to scale off int. Massive damage but I do kind of miss being able to cast spells... (I've thrown out all my Mind for Vigor and Endurance. But I can always respec again).
Cornelius_Smiff

Basically ran through Mountaintop to the main boss as the area is horrible. Weirdly for all the people complaining about the Fire Giant, I got him down on the third attempt.

Crumbling Farum Azula was pretty brutal but less tedious and actually very enjoyable, albeit with those bloody knights again!!

Godskin Duo was another one that I cannot really see what all the discord was about, another one I did on my 3rd try and I am not even overlevelled. I think I accidentally cheesed it using the pillars, which brings me to the next bos Malekith, who I also managed to defeat very easily using some pillar defensive tactics. I didn't do this based on any pre-requisite knowledge, it just seemed a smart thing to do since he hits like a bloody truck.

Now up to the second to last boss fight and I cannot believe the journey I have taken... What a game!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Feirsteax wrote: April 11th, 2022, 10:33 am Alex, if you're pure dex and no int, Uchigatana will be better than Moonveil for you. Even better if you started as the Samurai, as then you can get two Uchigatanas in your first playthrough and go for a dual wield approach. If not you can always pair it with the Wakizashi though that doesn't do quite as much damage, it still can powerstance if you equip it to your off-hand with a katana in your main.
Hmm thanks, yeah I might respec again and plough everything in to health, Endurance and dex. It mostly was but I wasted a few levels in strength and mind early games and they're just not relevant to my character now.
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

So, just to do a complete 180 on the game - I was recommended to at least do Leyndell by a friend before succumbing to a bit of burnout.

Oh my lord, what a 8-10 hours it's been!

Exploring all the city and it's numerous paths, the enemy placement, the lore, the NPCs, the background storytelling - absolutely superb. So opulent, massive and branching - exactly what you'd expect from a next-gen Soulslike game. Just brilliant - like Anor Londo fully realised.

Then I find the Well and do the
Spoiler: show
Subterranean Shunning Grounds
and it's like the inverse of the above; pure, lean Dark Souls stripped to it's absolute bones. Mazes everywhere, powerful enemies scattered everywhere, secrets out the wazoo and all in pitch-black to boot. Such a thrill!

Even better, I then find a secret wall behind a chest and find my way to
Spoiler: show
Deeproot Basin
and it's more delicious pain! Horrible enemies, twisting tree-root paths with just the right amount of tricky platforming and frogs as far as the eye can see.

Honestly, it's completely lit a fire under me and I feel like I did for the first 20 hours or so. Think that while I may be a little burned out on exploring the world and doing the caves, catacombs and the like the 'meat' of the game is as good as ever, possibly the best it's ever been. Absolute high point of the game, knocking Stormveil into second place.

Fucking brilliant, can't wait to keep playing it.

PS. Speaking of fire - think I've locked myself into an ending accidentally! I shouldn't have fed her those Shibari Grapes and stripped my armour off; it feels very much like I've chosen the 'Kaathe' of this game. Whoops! Great fucking visual/cut-scene though.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Rhaegyr wrote: April 13th, 2022, 9:15 am Horrible enemies, twisting tree-root paths with just the right amount of tricky platforming and frogs as far as the eye can see.
So...erm...when you say frogs...?

Are they the Basilisk things that can petrify you, or does Elden Ring feature frog frogs?

And this isn't me picking you on misnaming an enemy, this is genuinely me asking if there are frogs in the game.

I don't do frogs. I really don't do frogs. :oops: :(