Elden Ring

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Elden Ring

Post by ratsoalbion »

Have at it!
Rhaegyr

Re: Elden Ring

Post by Rhaegyr »

Woohoo!

Other half is away all weekend (lucky coincidence) and I've booked Friday afternoon off.

Attempting to go fully blind on this one - I've never been able to resist checking a game progress route for the Souls/Bloodborne games and I had to look online for Sekiro to understand the whole resurrection and Dragonrot mechanics.

Playing this on my Series S - wish I had something a bit more powerful after seeing snippets of trailers but I'm still running it on an old 720p Panasonic plasma so any better image quality from the console would be lost anyway.

Looking forward to trading tips and advice on the forum - if anyone fancies any coop my GT is CinderN.

Best of luck!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Spent months saying I wasn't getting it day one since I never buy games day one, and also promised myself I'd buy no new games whilst there is so much on Gamepass I want to play.

Just pre-ordered it.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Nice one Alex!

I preordered the collectors edition with the intention of playing it after beating all the souls games. I’ve fallen down the rabbit hole and there’s no way back for me. Ive got my eye out for the inevitable glossy future press guide and will be hoovering up merchandise I don’t need.

Dark souls and kin have ruined other games for me a little bit (maybe a lot). So glad to have elden ring to fill the void.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Feeling burnt after Sekiro chewed me up and spat me out so i'm keen to see from afar what it's all about.

Maybe i'll get to it one day but I cant muster the enthusiasm for another kick in the bollocks by FromSoftware.
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

My pre-order has now shown up on my
PS4 homescreen. I wonder if I'll like it. It seems more Dark Souls than Bloodborne, and while I love Bloodborne with all my nerdy heart (on my third playthrough now), I keep bouncing off the DS games (I do plan to go back to them though) and Sekiro proved too difficult for me.

I was originally planning to complete Horizon Forbidden West first but HFW is so huge and detailed and I want to take my time with it and not spoil it by rushing... but also I want the experience of discovering a new From Software game with everyone else, so I don't want to wait for Elden Ring. So I thiiink I'll play both at the same time, which I normally don't like to do. To be honest, I'm so rubbish at From Soft games that Elden Ring will probably take me a long time anyway.

Part of me is a little sad it's an open world because open world games tend to feel a bit sprawling and overwhelming for me (unless it's something like Red Dead Redemption 2 where I can just hang out with my horse)... and part of me is also sad that they've gone back to generic fantasy Lord Wotsitfrume of the Forgotenth Valley of Sorrowwind stuff because Bloodborne's world and setting seemed so much fresher and more fun to me. But that's just a personal preference. The long opening monologues and lists of names at the start of Dark Souls games put me off - I liked how in Bloodborne you just wake up on a doctor's examination table and are thrown into this weird world where you have to work out what is going on.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Not going to get chance to play this on launch day, but can't wait for Saturday night when I'm jumping full on in!
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

First reviews are starting to roll in - scores look very very good!

Now time to ignore everything until Friday.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

For those who want to see those reviews:
https://opencritic.com/game/12090/elden-ring/reviews
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

Yikes. Lots of reviews making it sound like it's basically a new Dark Souls crossed with Breath of the Wild.

Can't think of higher praise. Roll on Friday!
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

Woah those reviews are utterly glowing. I hope the game lives up to expectations!
Seph

Post by Seph »

I'm not sure when I'll get to play this as I won't have full access to my PS4 again until about July and my PC won't be able to run it. But those those review scores are the best I've ever seen for a non-Nintendo game since Red Dead 2. I guess I'm going to have to clean up my YouTube recommendations to avoid any spoilers etc.
markfm007

Post by markfm007 »

Very excited by these reviews! It sounds like a huge, great game, but also a great gateway into Soulsborne games. My brother has pre-ordered it despite being non-committal when I've recommended these games to him, which is pretty awesome. I can't wait to chat about it with him. I'll pick it up on disc over the weekend, probably Saturday. I've booked some time off work too as I had a few days to use.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

It looks intriguing, but as someone who has now bought Dark Souls three times on three different platforms and bounced off it hard every time, I'm a little wary.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

Fuck my arse. I can't believe those reviews. Wow. Almost welling up reading some of these reviews. My wife is on half term and she's out Fri, Sat, Sun and I am going to sit on my bollocks until I'm infertile.

I cannot wait.
Pconpi

Post by Pconpi »

Downloaded the Adventure Guide last night (got a redeem code for it emailed to me). Not too in depth but gives a nice overview and has some good artwork to get excited about. Like when you were a kid and reread the game manual over and over again in the car ride home after picking up a new game at the store.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Had booked Friday off work to play this but my son still has mild covid and needs to be off school. So not sure when I'll get to start it now 😭
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Get well soon minithomas.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Pconpi wrote: February 23rd, 2022, 8:05 pm Downloaded the Adventure Guide last night (got a redeem code for it emailed to me). Not too in depth but gives a nice overview and has some good artwork to get excited about. Like when you were a kid and reread the game manual over and over again in the car ride home after picking up a new game at the store.
I’m so jealous!! I love the thought of that!

I’m at work Friday and will have to look longingly at the box in the moments in between