Favorite Video Game Movie

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
duskvstweak

Favorite Video Game Movie

Post by duskvstweak »

Considering we've had a few new ones the past few months, I was just wondering if any of the recent video games movies are anyone's favorite now. Not that there are a TON of quality ones to pick from, but I feel like we've seen a couple of "yeah, that was fine" films.

I mean, my favorite might still be the original Street Fighter, so maybe I can't tell quality from not.
markfm007

Re: Favorite Video Game Movie

Post by markfm007 »

If we're including tv, I really enjoyed Arcane. Although I haven't played League and am not really sure how the two connect other than the characters being from the game. But it's a great show either way. I thought about going to see Uncharted but didn't bother in the end, it just looked really mediocre to me and the casting was off.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I don't think I've really watched any beyond the original Mario film and the two new Sonic ones. So, I guess, Sonic The Hedgehog 2!
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Detective Pikachu probably is my favourite, it might be just above the ' yeah, that was fine' line for me.
raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

Funny enough, I responded to the guys' monthly chat about video game movies on this very topic.

I'd say Wreck-It Ralph is the best, but people seem to dismiss that as(I guess?) they're seeking a video game movie that is 1:1 with the video game which doesn't make sense.

That being said, the quality of video game movies has risen, but even then, it feels like a movie just isn't the format for such things - Arcane has already been mentioned, DOTA 2 also had a great series.

Bit of a tangent but it is related: It really feels like now that Hollywood isn't in the mood of "OMG LETS MILK VIDEO GAMES FOR MONEY" phase anymore(they're in the 'let's copy the MCU phase') and creatives have been given reign for miniseries/shows/etc, the environment is much healthier. Because executives and middlemen ruin everything.

I passed on the most recent Mortal Kombat(which they stick an OC in for some reason) but I heard it was fine, Sonic is for kids, so I skipped it(though I have a vested interest in seeing the 3rd if I'm not a COVID zombie by then). Uncharted I've heard is just a cash grab in the sense of 'Tom Holland is fresh off of Spider-man' - supposedly if you're just looking for a popcorn flick is fine.

I don't remember Street Fighter well, but Raul Julia hams it up, so it's probably still fine. MK 1 is fine under the same guise. Warcraft was fine.

Hah, there's a list: https://www.vulture.com/2016/12/every-v ... worse.html
not really sure how the two connect
Arcane is simply a take on the characters. LoL proper characters are trope-y as heck(you'll get whiplash comparing LoL Jayce to Arcane Jayce). Alternate universe, if you want to call it that. That being said, as an ex-LoL player, they have been actually adding lore(Gasp!) so it could go either way, but I sort of see it turning into a Harley Quinn situation where it's so popular it grafts onto canon.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Good shout with wreck it Ralph. I actually love the sequel as it knowingly pokes fun at Disney tropes in a really cool way particularly the Disney princesses.

If we are talking videogame adaptations then its hard to pick when there are so many Uwe Boll masterpieces to choose…
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

If we're widening the net a bit, I think King Of Kong is still my favourite video game movie, even if we now know that Billy Mitchell wasn't perhaps quite the all-evil villain the movie painted him as.
markfm007

Post by markfm007 »

raisinbman wrote: April 23rd, 2022, 9:10 pm Arcane is simply a take on the characters. LoL proper characters are trope-y as heck(you'll get whiplash comparing LoL Jayce to Arcane Jayce). Alternate universe, if you want to call it that. That being said, as an ex-LoL player, they have been actually adding lore(Gasp!) so it could go either way, but I sort of see it turning into a Harley Quinn situation where it's so popular it grafts onto canon.
Gotcha, thanks. It makes sense to me considering how much effort went into the show and how well received it was. Although I guess it could become a problem if the two contradict each other or something. Also Wreck it Ralph is a great shout, I didn't think of that one as it's not an adaptation. Gave us the classic "Just because you are bad guy does not mean you are bad guy!"
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Detective Pikachu was pretty decent as Sonic was just about the same but slightly less impressive, visually.

Is Goldeneye an answer I can use? I watched it after the game so.....
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

dezm0nd wrote: April 24th, 2022, 8:40 pm Detective Pikachu was pretty decent as Sonic was just about the same but slightly less impressive, visually.

Is Goldeneye an answer I can use? I watched it after the game so.....
Are you implying goldeneye N64 was the inspiration for the film?

I didn’t see enough oddjob, proximity mines and hand slaps in the film to believe that🤣