Moonscars - another 2D Soulslike?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Moonscars - another 2D Soulslike?

Post by Alex79 »

Anyone heard of this? I hadn't until it dropped on Gamepass today. Seems as though it's available on pretty much everything but the day one Gamepass release makes that the most tempting option.

I didn't think I was in the mood for another 2D Soulsvania game, but this looks really nice. Heavily reminiscent of Blasphemous with the art style, and borrows from the likes of Deaths Gambit and Salt & Sanctuary too, I really like the look of it.

Definitely going to give it a try anyway as I've really enjoyed these types of games in the past.

Anyone else giving it a go?

REVIEWS
Noisy Pixel: 8/10
NME: 8/10
Game Rant: 8/10
Screen Rant: 8/10
God Is A Geek: 7/10

Alex79

Re: Moonscars - another 2D Soulslike?

Post by Alex79 »

Played some of this tonight - it plays exactly as you'd expect. All the hallmarks of a 2D Soulsvania, some nice pixel art and animation, but what really struck me is how challenging it is! Even for 'one of these'. I beat Salt & Sanctuary, Hollow Knight, the Souls series etc, and still found myself dying at least 20 times in the first area! Think it seems good so far though, will stick with it for a while.