FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 (& Women's World Cup 2023)

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Alex79

Re: FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022

Post by Alex79 »

Truk_Kurt wrote: November 25th, 2022, 9:01 am Fun fact. This is the first world cup where there has been no goals from outside the box by this point in the tournament.
That second Saudi goal was probably the closest, right on the line.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: FIFA World Cup 2022 - Full Listing

Post by ratsoalbion »

Iran's first.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Shame for Wales, what a horrible end to the game! Also, never known a tournament have so much time added on to games!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It's a dictat from Collina. Long overdue as the ball is generally only in play for 30 minutes per half. He's insisted that additional time is properly observed and gets us closer to 45 minutes of actual play, and I'm all for it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Makes sense. More like Basketball where the clock literally stops every time the ball isn't in play, along with most US sports I think.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

And rugby.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

The World cup of shocks continues with the Belgium vs Morrocco scoreline yesterday. I was reading an Athletic article suggesting that these shocks aren't good for the tournament as it will lead to a lesser quality knockout stage if the big teams aren't in it. After reading the piece I could understand the authors point but I still don't agree. If the group stages went as expected and we maybe got a more exciting knockout stage, that would have meant the group stages were boring.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm thinking France or Spain for the trophy. I've got France in the work sweepstakes, so hoping I make a tidy £32 :lol:
markfm007

Post by markfm007 »

Truk_Kurt wrote: November 28th, 2022, 9:15 am The World cup of shocks continues with the Belgium vs Morrocco scoreline yesterday. I was reading an Athletic article suggesting that these shocks aren't good for the tournament as it will lead to a lesser quality knockout stage if the big teams aren't in it. After reading the piece I could understand the authors point but I still don't agree. If the group stages went as expected and we maybe got a more exciting knockout stage, that would have meant the group stages were boring.
I much prefer an unpredictable tournament to one where the top teams rise as expected. I see the argument, it's great watching top class teams clash, but after a while it feels like the same old story played out year after year. There's a lot of great matches between unfancied sides, such as Serbia - Cameroon today. I'd much rather see that and see some new sides get their turn in the sun.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Great second half performance from England yesterday. Even if Wales weren't very good (possibly the worst team at the tournament after Qatar?). I particularly thought Rashfords second goal was really good, it's great to see him hit form.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Feeling confident for the next match. I genuinely think we are in with a chance, but it's so unpredictable with England. I feel like the team can really turn it on at times, but a lot of it is so boring to watch, just passing it around the back four. The amount of times we've seen England almost at the opponents box before gradually passing it all the way back to Pickford. I know they're being patient and waiting for the right opportunities but I feel like they could take a few more risks.

But what do I know about football. I'm the worst kind of fan. The fan real fans hate. Here for the big international tournaments and nothing else. I've just got no interest in club football, but love the World Cup and the Euros.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

So that's it for another 2 years. I thought we matched France and it was just fine margins as to why we didn't go through. Personally I would keep Southgate in charge for the next tournament if he still wants to do it as I don't think there is anyone available right now who would do a better job. Not anyone who would leave their current job anyway.
Will Marley

Post by Will Marley »

I like Southgate but I feel he's taken the team as far as he can. It's very fine margins at this level but again, given a very favourable opportunity, England have lacked a big performance in the biggest games. Even had we beaten France, I don't think we would have beaten Argentina with the limitations of our current approach.

I'd get a foreign manager in, personally. I don't think the talent is there in English management.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Well, that was some final. I recorded it as I was out so was watching it when I got home not knowing the result. At 80 minutes I was considering fast forwarding it to the end just to see the trophy lift as I thought France weren't getting back into it, but then they scored and the game became incredible.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

It was an absolute cracker of a game, really exciting for the last half an hour of the normal time onwards.
Will Marley

Post by Will Marley »

Same here!
Alex79

Re: FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 (& Women's World Cup 2023)

Post by Alex79 »

It just occurred to me that I never made a thread for the women's World Cup this year, as I have done for the last few mens major tournaments. That perhaps highlights my own inherent bias and is poor form. Despite this, I have been watching and enjoying the women's world cup, there have been some entertaining matches and I'm hoping England can cling on to this Quarter Final 2-1 lead over Colombia which is now in the last few minutes of added time.

You seem to get two distinct takes when anyone discusses women's football online. There are those who claim the games are unwatchable and no better than Sunday league football, and those who say the game is just as valid and skillfull as the men's game. Personally, I don't think either are accurate. There is a lot of skill I've seen in these games, but at the same time to call it at the same level as the men's game would be disingenuous and I think a little patronising. But I do think it's catching up, and we are seeing a lot more media coverage these days which can only be a good thing and will hopefully inspire a new generation of younger girls to play.

There is a particularly toxic type of fan that dismissed the women's game entirely. I was called a "cuck" on Twitter for saying I was looking forward to the women's world cup. That doesn't even make sense...

So anyway, Anyone else been watching?

(By the way, England did hang on to that lead - onward to the Semis!)
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

I haven’t but only because the kick off times haven’t been great, I was planning to though as I’ve never watched a women’s tournament or even a women’s game before to my shame. Next tournament though I’ll be there. The media coverage has definitely stepped up this tournament which is good and I’ve noticed the women’s premier league also gets more too.
Also good to see the women’s teams being put in EA FC
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79 wrote: August 12th, 2023, 1:35 pm There is a lot of skill I've seen in these games, but at the same time to call it at the same level as the men's game would be disingenuous and I think a little patronising.
Well I take that back, the England game today was brilliant! And we cruised in to the final with a 3-1 victory over the hosts, Australia. Really entertaining game!