Games Completed 2023

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: Games Completed 2023

Post by Alex79 »

Totally varies really from one year to the next, even one month to the next. I never have an amount I want to finish, or try to cram some short ones in before the end of the year to get the numbers up. I just play what I want to play and write them down!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Hi everyone! Happy New Year!!

I’ve taken to using the IGN playlist app to sort out my backlog and track my games completed which is really satisfying.

After nearly 10 months of chipping away at Elden Ring I managed to finally platinum it. Hooray! My favourite game ever? Maybe?

I’ve also finished a few other games since the turn of the year:

Bloodborne (also platinum)
Wolf among us
Viewtiful Joe
Link between worlds
3D Dot Game Heroes PS3
God of War Ragnarok
Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

RetroClarence wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 3:54 pm How many games per year do you guys usually finish? I finished 10 games in January which I reckon was a record for me. They were mainly short games or games I had started at the end of last year.
I normally manage at least 1 to 2 a month
See Mi Yah

Post by See Mi Yah »

Simonsloth wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 6:04 pmI’ve taken to using the IGN playlist app to sort out my backlog and track my games completed which is really satisfying.
I hadn't heard of this before. It looks great. I've tried a few other sites and apps before but they all lacked a little polish. I'm definitely gonna use this. I'm a big believer in the power of ticking boxes and making lists etc. The satisfaction of things being marked 'finished' and organised accordingly is a great motivator for me. And being able to see something marked as 'stopped' or abandoned helps me too because it's like a formal acceptance that I'm not returning to a game, rather than it just sitting there looking incomplete and annoying me.
MattL

Post by MattL »

RetroClarence wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 3:54 pm How many games per year do you guys usually finish? I finished 10 games in January which I reckon was a record for me. They were mainly short games or games I had started at the end of last year.
I've never kept track until 2022, but in that year, I finished 18. Of course, some of those were already partly completed and I was just finishing up a few odd trophies, or something.
Simonsloth wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 6:04 pm I’ve taken to using the IGN playlist app to sort out my backlog and track my games completed which is really satisfying.
Interesting. I've been using psnprofiles, since I basically just game on either my PS4 or PS5. My profile, https://psnprofiles.com/MALpractice311, in case anyone is interested.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79 wrote: January 14th, 2023, 12:34 amJAN - Red Dead Redemption 2: Arthur's Story (Xbox)
JAN - The Witcher 2 (Xbox)
JAN - Ori And The Blind Forest (Switch)
JAN - Shinobi III (Megadrive on Switch)
JAN - Sonic Spinball (Megadrive on Switch)
JAN - Super Fantasy Zone - 1cc (Megadrive on Switch)
JAN - Death's Door (Switch)
JAN - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES on Switch)
JAN - Final Fight (Arcade on Switch)
JAN - The King Of Dragons (Arcade on Switch)
JAN - Yakuza 3 (Xbox)
FEB - Goldeneye 007 (N64 on Switch)

This really stands up as a fun first person shooter. Once I'd come up with a control method that wasn't quite so antiquated this was an absolute riot from start to hilarious finish. I mean really, chasing the bad guy around those suspended walkways :lol: 25 years in the making, glad I finally finished it!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79 wrote: January 14th, 2023, 12:34 amJAN - Red Dead Redemption 2: Arthur's Story (Xbox)
JAN - Yakuza 3 (Xbox)
FEB - Starfox (SNES on Switch)

Once you get past the fact it runs in about 15fps jerk-o-vision, this remains a highly enjoyable shoot 'em up! Haven't played this all the way through in well over 20 years, but I remembered the final boss clear as day. I never played any of the sequels to this, so might give Starfox 2 and the N64 one a try too. That stupid Falcon is still annoying. Don't cry about a bad guy on your tail and then tell me to mind my own business when I shoot him for you! Dick.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

See Mi Yah wrote: February 4th, 2023, 10:03 am
Simonsloth wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 6:04 pmI’ve taken to using the IGN playlist app to sort out my backlog and track my games completed which is really satisfying.
I hadn't heard of this before. It looks great. I've tried a few other sites and apps before but they all lacked a little polish. I'm definitely gonna use this. I'm a big believer in the power of ticking boxes and making lists etc. The satisfaction of things being marked 'finished' and organised accordingly is a great motivator for me. And being able to see something marked as 'stopped' or abandoned helps me too because it's like a formal acceptance that I'm not returning to a game, rather than it just sitting there looking incomplete and annoying me.
It’s really good. It’s nice to have the ability to easily move games from backlog to playing then to beaten (or the quit list). It’s even good because you can sort games by how long to beat and other people have made playlists for the current gamepass/ps plus catalogues. It’s really very good and easy to use.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Is this an actual app you download or something on the web?
See Mi Yah

Post by See Mi Yah »

It's an app.
markfm007

Post by markfm007 »

See Mi Yah wrote: February 4th, 2023, 10:03 am I hadn't heard of this before. It looks great. I've tried a few other sites and apps before but they all lacked a little polish. I'm definitely gonna use this. I'm a big believer in the power of ticking boxes and making lists etc. The satisfaction of things being marked 'finished' and organised accordingly is a great motivator for me. And being able to see something marked as 'stopped' or abandoned helps me too because it's like a formal acceptance that I'm not returning to a game, rather than it just sitting there looking incomplete and annoying me.
Agree with all of this, it's very satisfying keeping track of things and seeing a history of what you've done. I'm on backloggd - backloggd.com/u/markfm - I'll probably just stick with it unless it goes downhill. Other sites might be better but it'd be a pain starting fresh.
markfm007

Post by markfm007 »

Spoiler: show
January 5th - Final Fantasy VII
January 22nd - Death's Door
January 25th - Citizen Sleeper
January 31st - Dead Space (2008)
February 5th - Dead Space 2

More fun and chaotic than the first game. Necromorphs come so thick and fast that there’s less of the creeping tension of the first game, and more immediate thrills and scares. There’s still a nice element of strategy too with all the tools and environmental options. Kinesis and anti gravity are much better, and the all of the flying puzzles and crazy action stuff is genuinely great. At times it’s a bit too spray and pray, and the waves of enemies become aggravating. The ranged enemies become particularly annoying when there’s less time to get your bearings. But generally it’s a great balance.
It does sacrifice the more grounded elements of the first game, and made me appreciate things about it that I hadn’t realised before. The silent protagonist, slowly trying to pull things together as tensions rise and things get worse and worse, it’s less exciting but it really pulls you in. The last couple chapters in particular have a great sense of despair and futility, with the final reveal of Isaac’s exhausted face being a great moment. 2 has more of a Hollywood story, I enjoyed it but it doesn’t hit in the same way. I am proud of myself for doing the eye bit though, never thought I’d have the stomach. Might not bother some but I had to take some deep breaths to get through that one.
Overall I’d say I lean towards preferring 2, but that both games complement each other really well. I think I’m biased because of how amazing 2 looks and runs on game pass. 1 has Auto HDR as well, but no frame boost, and for whatever reason the visual improvements were much more noticeable to me in 2.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

markfm007 wrote: February 5th, 2023, 2:33 pm
See Mi Yah wrote: February 4th, 2023, 10:03 am I hadn't heard of this before. It looks great. I've tried a few other sites and apps before but they all lacked a little polish. I'm definitely gonna use this. I'm a big believer in the power of ticking boxes and making lists etc. The satisfaction of things being marked 'finished' and organised accordingly is a great motivator for me. And being able to see something marked as 'stopped' or abandoned helps me too because it's like a formal acceptance that I'm not returning to a game, rather than it just sitting there looking incomplete and annoying me.
Agree with all of this, it's very satisfying keeping track of things and seeing a history of what you've done. I'm on backloggd - backloggd.com/u/markfm - I'll probably just stick with it unless it goes downhill. Other sites might be better but it'd be a pain starting fresh.
Added you on backloggd
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Well all this talk made me curious. I started keeping lists on here in 2017 and I've averaged 29 a year. The most I've finished in a month is 6 last December. Finishing Xenoblade Chronicles 3 on the 2nd of December really put me in the mood for shorter games. :)

2017: 29
2018: 29
2019: 35
2020: 33
2021: 23
2022: 25
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

JAN - Yakuza 3 (Xbox)
FEB - Starfox (SNES on Switch)
FEB - Mafia 2: Remastered (Xbox)

It's been well over ten years since I first played this I think, and I'd largely forgotten the entire story, and what a great story! A brutal, unflinching portrayal of Mafia life, doesn't glamorise it at all, and just shows how miserable that life really is. I really do think this is one of the best stories I've played in a long time. And, because I played it so close to the first game, there was a real 'OMG!' moment towards the end where it ties in to Tommy Angelo's story from Mafia 1. Really great game, this. Glad I came back to it again!

Also, as usual when I finish a game, I went to listen to the Cane and Rinse show again, and I could have sworn this game had been covered, but it's not coming up in a search, so I must be mistaken!
Seph

Post by Seph »

I finished and platinumed that Elden Ring after 120 hours and basically doing nothing else with my free time. While it's a great game, I'm left a little disappointed due to the FromSoft excesses rearing their ugly head again; especially how they can't help themselves when it comes to ridiculous difficulty and thinking that just adding multiple versions of a particular enemy should go in place of good boss design. I find this approach lazy and if they couldn't be arsed thinking of extra bosses or enemies they shouldn't have added so many areas.

The final stretch is one of the most frustrating experiences I've ever had with a game, in that it felt like you were fighting Sekiro bosses with a Dark Souls toolset. The fact that one slight mistime or mistake that end you is unfair. The final boss, in particular, is trash. Maybe the worst designed thing they've ever done, which is a shame as the boss just before it would have been a fitting end. But, again, they can't help themselves but just adding more for no reason.

It's a shame because I really enjoyed exploring the world and the sense of discovery is amazing. This was the first time I played a FromSoft game where I wanted to follow all the questlines as I liked the characters and their situations. And I know I'm not alone is saying this but the discovery of an underground world was mindblowing and unexpected (as was finding a second, a third and then a FOURTH), especially as I found it without any guidance. I want more of this, less of the "fight another Crucible Knight or Watchdog or Asylum Demon reskin but this time there's two of them".

For me it's an 8/10 game that should be a 10. I'm not sure if I want to play another game by this company until they sort their shit out. By the end it felt like a chore and I was completing it out of spite so I never had to touch it again. Also, it's fine to disagree and I hope this community is above the git gud bullshit and dick waving that weirdly seems to follow this series around.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I have found Elden Ring a little big for it's own good, too. Don't get me wrong, I think the game is incredible, but at around 80 hours in and barely feeling like I'm halfway through - at least in terms of map left to uncover, it's just so overwhelming. I suppose you don't actually have to engage with huge parts of the game, and there is a more or less linear path through the game - should you want it - but I always feel like I'm missing out on stuff and endeavour to explore every last corner. In short, I love the game, but I'm not sure I'd want them to go any further in this direction, and kind of hope their next 'soulsborne' style game is a little more focused.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

03/01 - The Last Campfire
05/01 - Splatoon 3
17/01 - Wolfenstein (2009)
22/01 - Fragments of Euclid
02/02 - Postmouse
08/02 - Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks (Kung Lao)

This was a really fun time generally. I know this game has something of a cult following, but people barely seem to talk about it beyond just saying it was good. It probably deserves to have a bigger place in discussions about the best PS2 action games. It has really meaty combat with great sound design, and a good depth to its mechanics that let you do some pretty cool things with combo strings and juggling enemies. Graphically it's quite nice too. I wouldn't say it's among the most impressive looking PS2 games, but it does have some nice scenery to see. While the story isn't anything too interesting, I appreciated that it had a sense of humour occasionally. It's not as totally po-faced as it might come across initially, and you can tell it knows this whole conceit of gratuitously violent dark fantasy is a bit silly, and they're having a bit of fun with it.

The unreliable lock-on was a bit of pain throughout the game though. A lot of the time when up against groups it had my character attacking in directions I didn't want to. Occasionally keeping attacks going in the right direction was really tricky against bosses too for some reason. Most of the bosses are pretty good, although I didn't like the final one at all. It sends you up against a gauntlet of three in a row, with only a measly health pickup between each. So by the last one I had only a sliver of health left and had to resort to running around in circles on the edge of the arena spamming projectiles.

I picked Kung Lao for this playthrough, mostly just because he has a cool hat. From cultural osmosis of Mortal Kombat I knew he has a teleport move as well, so I thought that would be helpful too, as it proved to be. I don't see myself playing through again any time soon though. It was fun, but not "immediately play the entire thing again" fun. I would have liked to play this in co-op though. That seems like it would be a cool experience, and maybe make a few of the bosses a bit more manageable. I don't see that ever happening though, unfortunately.
Will Marley

Post by Will Marley »

Re: Elden Ring

I agree with much of the above. While playing it, I felt it was incredible and I've probably never felt such a sense of scale and exploration outside of Skyrim (the best, relative to my experience at the time) and BotW. I didn't have that many problems with most bosses - likely because of my broken sorcery build - but there were plenty of areas and enemies which I found unpalatably difficult and ended up legging past them or cheesing. Again, while I was in the thick of that first run, almost every new discovery was exciting and in a number of ways, it's the best open world game I've ever played and for a time, I felt it was the best game I'd ever played.

I'm still well aware that because I've only played it once, there's a lot of build variety and probably selected areas that I've never experienced. The issue is that I have no meaningful grasp of it in my mind. It's too big and overwhelming in its details. I have very little idea of how the lore comes together, even after listening to all of the Bonfireside Chat podcast so far. I've actually unsubbed because while I like the hosts, it was like listening to a lot of disjointed info about a game I wasn't particularly familiar with or invested in. That's strange after 100 hours. Beyond that, what I did learn and where the puzzle pieces completed a picture, I wasn't really affected or excited about any of it. Kind of like Dark Souls 3, yeah, I get what's going on and the various key players and factions but none of it affected me like Dark Souls 1&2 or Bloodborne. If I started to get a grasp of the ER lore and it grabbed me, I would have gone all in but it didn't.

I accept that the DLC historically ties things together and recontextualises their games very very well, so I'll be in for that Day One whenever it comes, but I have very little interest in ever revisiting the game as it is, while I've gone back to Demon's, Dark and Dark 2 since I finished it and found them as rich as ever.

I don't mind what they do next, whatever pleases them, but I feel sated by 'what FROM do'. I don't particularly need or look forward to whatever they do next. I feel ER was a peak - even if not my favourite - and it was so rich and detailed and full of 'stuff' that I don't have any hunger or appetite for any more. Maybe in a few years I will but I still feel overly full.
Pconpi

Post by Pconpi »

JAN – Shadow Dancer (Sega Genesis)
JAN – Shantae (GBC)
JAN – Citizen Sleeper (Switch)
JAN – Lil Gator Game (Switch)

JAN - Crimson Shroud (3DS)
This is one of the bite sized games from Level 5’s Guild series on the 3DS. It is a Yasumi Matsuno game and feels like one with classic medieval characters and a robust skill system for the size of the game. A unique aspect of the game is it is presented like a tabletop rpg with figures on a board and dice on the bottom screen of the 3DS to “grab and roll”. It is also a difficult game that forces you to really plan out the strategy and occasionally do some grinding. But, with the game being so short I liked this difficulty, and it really made me engage with the skill system and equipment. The story didn’t grab me but the setting and tone let me feel like it was a night of tabletop fun being an archer/knight/mage and slaying some goblins.

JAN - Mario + Luigi Partners in Time (DS)
This is the third Mario + Luigi game I have completed after SuperStar Saga and Bowser’s Inside Story. I thought the babies added a nice touch of humor and thought it was funny that they sometimes seemed smarter than what is supposed to be their older versions…like they regress over the years in intelligence. I really like the battle system in the Mario + Luigi series as it is so heavily focused on timed button presses that I feel like I get better at but never fully master. The problem I have with Partners in Time is the battles themselves were too long for me. Even the common battles would take 5 min when I would have preferred 1-2 minute battles. The final boss with 3 forms took me over 45 min and I had to repeat it because the first time I didn’t stock up on 1-ups before the battle so I was a little burnt out on the long battles by the end. I do love that Professor E Gadd is in this universe as I think he is a funny character.

FEB - God of War: Ragnarök (PS5)
Stunning AAA experience. Within this year I played the first three games in the series and where Kratos ends up as a character from where he started is an amazing magic trick of story telling and character development. He still feels like he was that character that was all one-dimensional rage and testosterone but has now matured to a sympathetic character that I really connected and felt for at the end. Odin is my favorite villain in ages. I love how he is written as a controlling mob boss and he stole the scene each time he was there. Thor as well, such a great take on the character and I will remember that first battle and the “pub fight” for a long time. I think this is the best music a God of War game has had as well…the main theme is incredible and I loved the music in Svartalfheim. I could go on and on but yeah loved it and look forward to playing through the post story content which I hear is great.