Dragon's Lair and Space Ace

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Dragon's Lair and Space Ace

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your thoughts and opinions for Dragon's Lair and Space Ace for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

A friendly reminder that where the feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but keeping it brief is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mostly reading out essays. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.
ashman86

Re: 569: Dragon's Lair and Space Ace

Post by ashman86 »

I have some very vague memories of seeing Dragon's Lair in arcades and being wowed by the animation. As a young child at the time, I was naturally drawn to the Disney-like presentation, and I remember comparing it to the console games I played at home in my mind in disbelief. How could a game look like this?

Of course, it was a fortune to play, and I never actually did so until we eventually got a copy on Sega CD. The experience was underwhelming, to say the least. It took me a while to wrap my head around the game, but I eventually progressed several screens into the game before ultimately giving up, writing it off as a pretty game with not much going on beneath the surface. I just never could find the fun in learning the exact button sequences through trial and error and committing them to memory.

I admire what the game did for the industry and for its groundbreaking artwork, but I definitely don't hold it in the same reverence as other classics from the time.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

It transpires that the guy over the road from me was one of the biggest pirate software distributors in Europe. I didn't realise that until I saw him being arrested. I should probably have twigged when he invited me over once and his study had about 10,000 Amiga floppy disks arranged alphabetically around the room. It was a beautiful sight.

I remember he showed me Xenon 2, Speedball and Dragons Lair. The latter looked like the Disney Film, Robin Hood, and was totally annoying as hell to play. But I felt like a total champ getting to see it in motion.

Often wonder what happened to him...
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

seansthomas wrote: February 14th, 2023, 3:32 am Often wonder what happened to him...
I believe he went on to be an MMA judge and run a YouTube channel about beating old games in one credit.