Star Wars (1983)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Star Wars (1983)

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your thoughts and opinions for Atari's vector graphics arcade game Star Wars (1983), for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

A friendly reminder that where the feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but keeping it brief is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mostly reading out essays. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.
seansthomas

Re: 562: Star Wars (1983)

Post by seansthomas »

Your memory plays tricks on you as you get older. You wonder if things are indeed as you remember them, or as you wanted to.

Years of watching Stranger Things and Tron mean that I doubt this event was quite so amazing as I recall, but back in the mid 1980s I remember a winter trip to Maldon in Essex.

There, we were walking through the park by the river, in the dark and surrounded by fog. In the middle of the park, was this concrete block, covered in neon lights. It was peak Return of the Jedi fever, and I was devouring anything that so much as smelled like it was connected to Star Wars.

Being church going Christians, my family would never let me go down the seafront arcades in Southend so as we walked past this concrete building, my jaw dropped seeing inside.

Lights, crazy noises, cool kids and these strange vertical TVs... one of which had Star Wars on the side.

I don't think we went in. I'm pretty sure I got dragged past. But I always remembered it and several decades later, I managed to track down this formative arcade game.

And it still held up, when I finally got to play it last year. Shooting down TIE Fighters felt great. For those cool 80s arcade kids, it must have been wizardry at the time.
Ventis

Re: 562: Star Wars (1983)

Post by Ventis »

I had this on the Amstrad CPC and was mesmerised by the sights and sounds of it. While it looks incredibly basic these days, it can't be underestimated how fun and kinetic the short but sweet gameplay was. I hadn't really thought about this game until I played TxK on the Vita and the vector heavy sights and sounds hit me in the face with a warm bucket of nostalgia.