Condemned 2: Bloodshot

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Condemned 2: Bloodshot

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your thoughts and opinions for Condemned 2: Bloodshot for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

A friendly reminder that where the feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but keeping it brief is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mostly reading out essays. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.
Tolkientaters

Re: 555: Condemned 2: Bloodshot

Post by Tolkientaters »

I would've played this of it was available on modern consoles since I loked it's predecessor, but doesn't seem like it'd be worth buying a 360 or PS3 for.
Caligulas Horse

Re: 555: Condemned 2: Bloodshot

Post by Caligulas Horse »

I had a blast with this game at the time, but my memory of it now is patchy. I think it was fairly short and easy to get through, and not one I thought too much about or felt the desire to return to since. My feeling was that the combat was more enjoyable than the first, but it being easier to batter the baddies took away from horror element a tad, because I didn't feel vulnerable anymore.
Spoiler: show
But what I remember most about this game is how silly the story gets toward the end. If I remember correctly, it turns out your character is descended from a secret clan of super-humans who have special voice-boxes, or something like that, which allows them to shout people to death. You then go through the final level with your new powers obliterating anyone you come across. Maybe it was far less ludicrous and random than I remember... I look forward to finding out when this episode is released!
Three word review: Gave us Skyrim
Steve Arran

Re: Our next podcast recording (5.2.23) - 555: Condemned 2: Bloodshot

Post by Steve Arran »

I only ever experienced the first Condemned via ad hoc episodes on my best friends Pc; my own computer struggling to run anything above medium spec at the time, and having cemented my loyalty to the PlayStation console. I can remember absolutely loving it, whilst also being scared out of my mind. Consequently, when the sequel became available for my PS3 it was almost a day one purchase.

Having not played the game since then I relied thoroughly on plumbing the depths of nostalgia when starting this correspondence. I can remember the awesomely crunchy combat; the feel of real weight and heft when a wooden board shattered across an opponents back. I remember the sound of anxiety inducing foot steps through my headphones as unseen enemies scurried out of sight. I can remember the grimy tenement buildings and gory forensic investigations and…. Hang on…. On reflection… All these memories are of Condemned Criminal Origins!

Upon watching several YouTube vids in order to refresh my memory I realise that Condemned 2 was not the game I remember it at all. The locations seem fantastical for the most part; the enemy design is sometimes ridiculous -exploding babies, the doll women, plate armour clad maniacs- and the re design of Ethan is so edgy it’s almost laughable. I must have enjoyed the gameplay, as I can recall playing it through a couple of times, but upon thorough reflection the only solid fond memory I have of this game is the bear scene- what I would dub the games only true surprise.

Condemned 2: Bloodshot is not without its positive aspects. The combat and sound design are still great, but for me, this is the classic example of looking back with rose tinted spectacles, and has engendered a wariness of revisiting old ‘favourites’ from when I was in uncritical teenager as edgy as Ethan Thomas.
Caligulas Horse

Re: Condemned 2: Bloodshot

Post by Caligulas Horse »

Really enjoyed the discussion on this one. Turns out the story was even more ludicrous than I'd remembered.