Shadow Dancer

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Shadow Dancer

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your thoughts and opinions for Shadow Dancer and Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

A friendly reminder that where the feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but keeping it brief is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mostly reading out essays. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.
Mr Ixolite

Re: Our next podcast recording (28.1.23) - 554: Shadow Dancer and Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi

Post by Mr Ixolite »

Seeing the plan for this years extended Shinobi Coverage on the podcast, I went down to my library to pick up a copy of Sega Mega Drive Classics.
I had no prior experience with the series, and reasoned that I would initially approach it like an older Castlevania game and allow myself savestates simply as semi-regular checkpoints.
As I booted up Shadow Dancer I quickly had to relax these restrictions, as I was surprised to find it an "one hit and you're out" affair. Whether taking a half-step too far or changing directions a half second too late my deathcount skyrocketed, and I began using the rewind feature freely. By the latter stages which heavily feature throngs of the bouncing-spinning ninjas it felt more like I was playing Prince of Persia: The sands of time. Bosses were surprisingly manageable though, and your canine companion does help, even if the final stages enemies sadly largely seem to have dog-immunity. The games short length took me by surprise; my copious assist usage of course means that I rushed through it, but it also felt like the level design never really got interesting before the end.
Still, Shadow Dancer had enough enjoyable facets that I moved on to Revenge of Shinobi immediately, but that is a story for another podcast.

3 word review: Brittle Ninja Adventure