Hi-Fi Rush

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Hi-Fi Rush

Post by Alex79 »

Sure most of us with an Xbox have given this a try since it surprised dropped on Gamepass last week - what are your thoughts?

I'm enjoying it so far, but only about midway through stage four. Not sure how long it is, but the game seems fun. I like the mechanic of fighting to the beat, even though I didn't get on with Metal Hellsinger which had a slightly similar concept recently.

The music is decent, it looks incredible, and it runs really smoothly.

The only negative for me really is that the attacks aren't instant. It creates a bit of a mismatch between what you're doing and what you're seeing on the screen. All the attacks have quite a long wind up to them. The parrying can be tricky too. It's easy enough when it's the drone bots that indicate when they're going to strike, but for the other enemies there seems to be no way at all to tell when they're going to hit, so parrying seems a bit random and pure luck if you manage to get it first time.

But overall though, seems a good game, and one that they could certainly build on for a sequel. I'm hoping I get to whichever boss has The Perfect Drug by Nine Inch Nails soon...
markfm007

Re: Hi-Fi Rush

Post by markfm007 »

I want to give it a go soon. My brother's been badgering me about playing Cyberpunk so I want to put some time into that first. The rhythm aspect could make or break it for me, we'll see. I didn't get on with Metal Hellsinger either, but I'm putting that down to my terrible FPS skills.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

It's... Fine. I don't really see how this game blew up as it did. It's a well-made rhythm action game, but the style isn't for me and I find the music ranges from uninteresting to grating - but that's purely personal preference. I think fans of rock will get on with it. I'm much more fond of electronic music - think Aaero or Einhander.

But a lot of care and hard work has been put into the game, and seeing such a radical departure from Evil Within is certainly interesting. Tango is consistently putting out superior games, and even Ghostwire, for all its flaws, still gets a lot right.

Come to think of it, I feel like Tango is the only Bethesda studio that's put out more than one game since the Microsoft acquisition. I may be wrong on that point, but for a console manufacturer with a TON of dormant studios and IPs, at least Tango is gettin' 'er done.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've stalled a little on it. It's an odd one. When I'm playing it, I'm enjoying it, but I'm not being pulled towards it over the other games I'm playing at the moment. Can't put my finger on why, but this happens quite often with games. I like them, but have to force myself to play them. Weird.
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

I'm only thirty minutes in but I've really enjoyed what I've played so far.

As a huge Sega fanboy I can see what the reviews are getting it with the comparisons to Dreamcast-era Sega.

Art style is fantastic too.
markfm007

Post by markfm007 »

I've played four stages so far. I did find it a little odd at first, as Alex says the actions not matching your button presses exactly. I started finding the rhythm more yesterday evening though and couldn't stop playing it. It's been in my head all day. I haven't found the music or jokes irritating but I could see how they might be.