2023 Top Ten

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Indiana747

2023 Top Ten

Post by Indiana747 »

Completed nearly 40 games in 2023 but as per usual most of them were older backlog titles. Dont think im gonna get through any more 2023 titles before the end of the year but did manage to scrape a top ten together though. Very sequel heavy. Honourable mentions to a few Game Pass titles in Ravenlok, Planet of Lana & Cocoon.

10 Scars Above
9 Fort Solis
8 Bramble: The Mountain King
7 Immortals of Aveum
6 Everspace 2
5 Dead Island 2
4 Dead Space
3 Remnant 2
2 Resident Evil 4
1 Alan Wake 2
Truk_Kurt

Re: 2023 Top Ten

Post by Truk_Kurt »

I should be getting Super Mario Wonder for Christmas which I suspect will break into my top 10, but right now my top 10 would be as follows:

9 Pikmin 4
8 Hi Fi Rush
7 The Crew Motorfest
6 F1 23
5 Cocoon
4 Spider-Man 2
3 Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom
3 Super Mario Wonder
2 Dead Space
1 Resident Evil 4

I have played some other games which I have ranked here for a top 17 but I only finished Super Mario RPG and Kirby in those additional 7 games. Those I didn't finish were due to either not enjoying them enough or a difficulty spike.
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

Just a Top 5 for me this year - I've played a lot of great games but half of them are from last year or older (Inscryption, Hitman 3, Norco, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 etc).

5. Hi-Fi Rush
4. Metroid Prime Remastered
3. Resident Evil 4 (REmake)
2. Street Fighter VI
1. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Bought and still to play - Pikmin 4, Super Mario Wonder, Baldurs Gate 3.

What a stellar year.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Good thread.

My top ten for 2023...

1. Forza Motorsport
2. Erm...
3. Hmmmm....

Ok I give up. I've played a total of four or five games from 2023 this year.

I really loved Forza Motorsport. I played the ten hour trial of UFC 5 and enjoyed it enough. I played an hour or so of Jusant, and about ten minutes of Cocoon. Oh, and a couple of hours of Hi-Fi Rush.

I know there's a lot of talk about 2023 being an amazing year for games, but honestly, there's not been much that's taken my fancy. I've mostly played older games this year.
Pconpi

Post by Pconpi »

I love the games on this list but I still have so many more from this year that I want to play namely Alan Wake 2, Baldur's Gate 3, and Super Mario Bros Wonder.

10) Paranormasight
9) Pikmin 4
8) Dordogne
7) Resident Evil 4
6) Sea of Stars
5) Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores DLC
4) Tears of the Kingdom
3) Tchia
2) Cyber Punk 2077: Phantom Liberty DLC
1) Final Fantasy XVI
markfm007

Post by markfm007 »

I haven't played enough games from this year to make a list unfortunately. I will post my overall list at the end of the year though. Doubt I'll complete anything else over Christmas but you never know!
Tolkientaters

Post by Tolkientaters »

Great year for games where I managed to miss a lot of heavy hitters like Armored Core, Rogue Trader and Jedi Survivor which I will play eventually, but Baldur's Gate 3 and Wrath of the Righteous sucked up a lot of my time.

10. Super Mario Wonder
9. Horizon Call of the Mountain
8. Street Fighter 6
7. Legend of Zelda Tears of The Kingdom
6. Resident Evil 4
5. Dead Space
4. Dredge
3. Not this year, but Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous
2. Baldur's Gate 3
1. Alan Wake 2
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

Some great games played this year chaps, the top ten thing is only a title for the thread, if you've only played one game from 2023 but think it deserves a shout then put it in the thread. Personally i usually aim to get 10 or so games from release years to pop them on a list just to create some conversation.
Alot of good stuff this year that i wanted to but never got round to purchasing cause they havent dropped in price enough yet, Armored Core VI, Spiderman 2, Baldur's Gate 3, Dredge.
Then theres the rest ive got on disk or on the consoles hdds but havent got round to them yet, Hogwarts Legacy, Wo Long, Sea of Stars, Jedi Survivor, Atlas Fallen, Hi Fi Rush, Forspoken, Diablo IV, arrrrgghh sooo many games, insert head exploding emoji here.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Was a year for Switch for me. Nintendo did some good business. Mostly remakes but I'll take it.

10) WarioWare: Move it
9) Super Mario RPG
8) Metroid Prime Remastered
7) Advance Wars 1 + 2 Reboot Camp
6) Pikmin 1 + 2
5) Kirbys Return to Dreamland Deluxe
4) Diablo 4
3) Super Mario Wonder
2) Zelda Tears of the Kingdom
1) Pikmin 4

There's also F-Zero 99, Fire Emblem Engage and Detective Pikachu Returns
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

Alex79 wrote: December 21st, 2023, 9:13 pm Good thread.

My top ten for 2023...

1. Forza Motorsport
2. Erm...
3. Hmmmm....

I really loved Forza Motorsport. I played the ten hour trial of UFC 5 and enjoyed it enough. I played an hour or so of Jusant, and about ten minutes of Cocoon. Oh, and a couple of hours of Hi-Fi Rush.

I know there's a lot of talk about 2023 being an amazing year for games, but honestly, there's not been much that's taken my fancy. I've mostly played older games this year.
Surprised you didn’t get round to tears of the kingdom given your love of BOTW. I also thought if any games this year would have been Alex games it would be Cocoon and hi fi rush so surprised they weren’t your cup of tea.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Angry_Kurt wrote: December 23rd, 2023, 8:45 am
Alex79 wrote: December 21st, 2023, 9:13 pm Good thread.

My top ten for 2023...

1. Forza Motorsport
2. Erm...
3. Hmmmm....

Surprised you didn’t get round to tears of the kingdom given your love of BOTW. I also thought if any games this year would have been Alex games it would be Cocoon and hi fi rush so surprised they weren’t your cup of tea.
I enjoyed what I played of HiFi Rush but found it just got very repetitive, very quickly and found there was nothing pulling me back to it. With Cocoon I thought it seemed okay but will pick it up in a Switch sale as it's the sort of game I'd rather play handheld and with TOTK, I only recently finished BOTW so didn't fancy jumping straight back in to that world, but I'll play it next year for sure.
CaleumLucus

Post by CaleumLucus »

I actually played very few 2023 games this year.

Metroid Prime Remaster and Super Mario RPG were real treats but to say they "truely" came out this year wouldnt really be fair.

3) Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
2) Fire Emblem: Engage
1) Super Mario Bros. Wonder
markfm007

Post by markfm007 »

Think I'll post my list now as there's no chance of me finishing any more games. I'm just going to post my list of everything I beat this year, as there was only 3 games from 2023. I'll list my top ten below and link the full list of games below that - there's 21 in total.

1) Final Fantasy VII
2) Hi Fi Rush
3) Resident Evil 4 (2023)
4) Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
5) Citizen Sleeper
6) Super Mario Odyssey
7) Disco Elysium
8) Final Fantasy XVI
9) Demon's Souls (2020)
10) Gears of War 2

https://www.backloggd.com/u/markfm/list ... es-ranked/
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

I usually pick up games a while after they're released, so I haven't actually finished any 2023 games yet. I am playing Final Fantasy XVI and Super Mario Bros Wonder at the moment though.

2023 was a very slow year for me anyway, i only finished 19 games, compared to my 25-35 norm, and that included 7 Klonoa games and no big classics.

Here's my top five games anyway. I've excluded the two console Klonoas as I first played them in the early 2010's.

1. Triangle Strategy
2. Need for Speed: Unbound
3. Mutazione
4. Horizon: Forbidden West
5. Klonoa 2: Dream Champ Tournament
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

ColinAlonso wrote: January 2nd, 2024, 3:58 pm I usually pick up games a while after they're released, so I haven't actually finished any 2023 games yet. I am playing Final Fantasy XVI and Super Mario Bros Wonder at the moment though.

2023 was a very slow year for me anyway, i only finished 19 games, compared to my 25-35 norm, and that included 7 Klonoa games and no big classics.

Here's my top five games anyway. I've excluded the two console Klonoas as I first played them in the early 2010's.

1. Triangle Strategy
2. Need for Speed: Unbound
3. Mutazione
4. Horizon: Forbidden West
5. Klonoa 2: Dream Champ Tournament
Pleased to see some Need for Speed Unbound love. If you're looking for another open world arcade racer in the coming months, I highly recommend The Crew Motorsport. I've been having a blast with it.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

I've updated mine with Super Mario Wonder after playing it over Christmas, stuck it in at 3
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I bought myself Wonder at Christmas and have ended up liking it even more than I was expecting. Had two long and brilliant afternoons with it over New Year.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

ratsoalbion wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 2:13 pm I bought myself Wonder at Christmas and have ended up liking it even more than I was expecting. Had two long and brilliant afternoons with it over New Year.
I've heard it's a bit too easy but you know your platformers! Does that mean you found the difficulty to not be an issue?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Just like every Mario Bros. game, it starts of gently but then steadily ramps up the difficulty.

To get a credit roll shouldn't be overly challenging for most, but to get a true 100% will challenge most experienced 2D platform fans.