Area 88 (U.N. Squadron) and U.S. Navy (Carrier Air Wing)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Area 88 (U.N. Squadron) and U.S. Navy (Carrier Air Wing)

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your thoughts and opinions for Area 88 (U.N. Squadron) and/or U.S. Navy (Carrier Air Wing) for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

A friendly reminder that where the feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but keeping it brief is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mostly reading out essays. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.
Alex79

Re: Our next podcast recording (15.7.24) - 628: Area 88 (UN Squadron) and U.S. Navy (Carrier Air Wing)

Post by Alex79 »

Is there a good way to play these now legit? Or is emulation the way to go? With the first game will you be focusing on the arcade game, rather than the SNES? Thanks!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Our next podcast recording (15.7.24) - 628: Area 88 (UN Squadron) and U.S. Navy (Carrier Air Wing)

Post by ratsoalbion »

U.N. Squadron/Area 88 is a licensed game, so unavailable legit nowadays.

We'll probably focus more on the SNES version just because we've played it more and there's more to it.

U.S. Navy/Carrier Air Wing is on Capcom Arcade Stadium 1.
dannyabbasi

Re: Our next podcast recording (15.7.24) - 628: Area 88 (U.N. Squadron) and U.S. Navy (Carrier Air Wing)

Post by dannyabbasi »

Had a quick go. Like how you have to buy the weapons to use on your runs and can eventually buy better planes. Reminds me a bit of Rock N' Roll racing and Road Rash
Alex79

Re: Our next podcast recording (15.7.24) - 628: Area 88 (U.N. Squadron) and U.S. Navy (Carrier Air Wing)

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I had a run through of the first game on my Vita (via MAME). I found it perfectly enjoyable, and a little easier than a lot of arcade shmups, but nothing really that made it stand out from the crowd, for me. It was fun, but I don't have much to say about it!

Unfortunately I couldn't get the ROM of the second game to work at all for me. (I know I could just buy it on the Capcom arcade collection, but...)