Bruce Lee

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Bruce Lee

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your thoughts and opinions for Bruce Lee for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

A friendly reminder that where the feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but keeping it brief is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mostly reading out essays. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.
AndrewElmore

Re: 608: Bruce Lee

Post by AndrewElmore »

I don't have any experience of my own with the game (my Bruce Lee game was an original Xbox-exclusive and the less said about it, the better, I'd imagine), but I'd like to drop a link to a very personal video from one Jeff Gerstmann about his memories with it as a very formative game from his youth.

caponeadam

Re: Our next podcast recording (24.2.24) - 608: Bruce Lee

Post by caponeadam »

I cannot believe Cane and Rinse is devoting an entire episode to this, I thought it was this sacred childhood game that only myself and my sister had ever played. I don't know how or why we even had it, it's not like we were Bruce Lee fans.

I recall playing this on a 14" Ferguson black and white television. It was quite a haunting game, partly down to it's complete lack of music. Even the sfx were just these really deep sounds of traversal with the occasional high pitch sound of collecting a lantern. There was no story, I had no idea who the two enemies chasing me were or why they were chasing me. Looking at it now, it comes across more like an elaborate science test for rats than a fun video game for children.

This game still comes up from time to time when chatting with my sister, she was the master of this game. We have this special memory because there was this one time where she was on her 7th playthrough in a row, at around the 5th playthrough my mum started calling her downstairs for a bath. After multiple failed attempts to get my sister in the bath my mum eventually came storming in and pulled the plug.

Yet in hindsight, I don't recall the game even changing on subsequent playthroughs? It just loops? I genuinely can't wait for this episode to air as I'm wanting to know as much as possible about this bizarre game.
moobaa

Re: Our next podcast recording (24.2.24) - 608: Bruce Lee

Post by moobaa »

Bruce Lee is a stone-cold C64 classic. A perfect blend of platforming and simple beat-em-up moves, the Ninja and Yamo are incredibly dim opponents who add an unexpected amount of joy to the gameplay as you manipulate them into hazards... kicking them in the face, sending them backwards into fire traps, never gets old.

Some of the levels lend themselves into glorious non-stop run-and-jumping; unfortunately, the flick-screen levels themselves are too short, and too few in number - there's only about 20 screens! But it's ridiculously playable, with even the occasionally glitchy movement as Bruce hitches on the scenery becoming an integral part of your play.

Yes, it's easy, and yes, it's short... but Bruce Lee will always be on my list of must-play C64 classics.

( @caponeadam - I'm pretty sure it just loops with no increase in difficulty. I never noticed any changes, anyway. )
Alex79

Re: Bruce Lee

Post by Alex79 »

Didn't really have enough to say to include on the pod, but my only memory of this game is a vague recollection of playing it at my cousin's house as a kid. My memories are more around the house, actually. They lived in this big country house that seemed like a mansion to us with seven bedrooms, massive kitchen and acres of farm land and geese and horses and stuff. We used to go on 'holiday' there as kids, when they went on proper holiday we'd move in and look after the animals and house for the week. We loved that place so much as kids, but they had an old C64 we'd play games on too - this was definitely one of them!