Games Completed 2024

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Jobobonobo

Re: Games Completed 2024

Post by Jobobonobo »

Spoiler: show
Jan 7: New Super Lucky’s Tale
Jan 7: Super Mario Land
Jan 9: Tetris Attack
Mar 2: Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Mar 17: Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Apr 6: Stray
Apr 18: Pac-Man World: Re-Pac
May 1: Ganbare Goemon 2: Kiteretsu Shōgun Magginesu (Go for it! Goemon 2: The Strange General McGuinness)

This Japan only sequel to the Legend of the Mystical Ninja was an incredible follow up. It is a much more straight forward action platformer with a world map and the stages are short but filled with lots of enemies, tough platforming and vehicles to ride and blast foes with. This is also the first appearance of Goemon Impact which has you controlling this goofy mecha which rampages through the landscapes and fights off enemy mechas. These fights can be surprisingly tough and require some good timing in order to land hits. Still very entertaining and a nice change of pace from the usual. One of the biggest and best changes is the introduction of a new playable character: Sasuke the mechanical ninja. This guy is awesome, he is speedy and jumps way higher than Goemon and Ebisumaru. He was my mainstay throughout the whole playthrough and really made certain stages a breeze.

However if there is one big flaw with this game is that at points it lags pretty crazy. Certain stages are so jam packed with explosions and enemies on screen that the game can slow to a crawl and can definitely make the mecha fights in particular a lot tougher than they need to be. I think issues like this would make these games ideal candidates for a remaster as with modern hardware this game would really shine. However seeing as Konami are slowly getting back into this whole game development thing and the last Goemon game was on the DS, this is unlikely to make an appearance on modern consoles anytime soon. Having said that, the presentation is remarkable all the same. The graphics are lush in detail and the character designs are a nice improvement from the first game. And the soundtrack is also just as whimsical and catchy as the first title.

This seems to be the game that really cements the identity of the series going forward and has made me really pumped to try out the rest of the Goemon games. I can see why it did not make it out of Japan due to its very heavy Japan focus which would have puzzled western audiences at the time but this is yet another gem out of many that comprised Konami's 16-bit output. While the lag is not ideal, it is not enough to sully the entire game for me as its positives heavily outweigh its few issues. If you like 2d platformers and Japanese silliness this comes highly recommended.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Jan 4th - Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PS5)
Jan 10th - Jusant (Xbox Series S)
Feb 6th - Resident Evil 4 (PS5)
Feb 19th - Resident Evil 4 - Hardcore (PS5)
Feb 25th - Interaction isn't explicit (PS5)
Mar 10th - The Last of Us Part II: Remastered (PS5)
Apr 16th - TLoZ: TOTK (all shrines) / Shadow of the Tomb Raider (Challenge Tombs) / Helldivers 2 (PS5) / Split Second (Xbox Series S)

May 1st - Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown (Xbox Series S)

I love the Prince of Persia series. Traps, platforming, sunny colour combos, flared trousers, fun combat... Top stuff. Sands of Time is an all timer for me and I've played most of the games either side of it.

So after the positive reviews, I was keen to try this. However I'd say that 15 hours into this game, I was slightly willing it to end. It felt too big, padded, happy to borrow ideas from other games and with a story that's frankly not overly interesting.

Fast forward another 20, and I'm completing the game at 92% completion, waxing lyrical about it to others, seeking out almost every last treasure and putting it in my top 3 Metroidvanias ever.

It's up there with Metroid Dread and Hollow Knight for me. It has the slick movement and levelling up of the former and the challenging combat and exploration of the latter.

The only thing that arguably stops it knocking those off that pedestal is a very slight lack of it's own identity. It handles the series' core conceit of manipulating time really smartly in ways I've not seen before, but shall keep quiet for spoiler reasons; there are several abilities here I've not seen in 2D games before, and they're executed brilliantly.

But there were a lot of moments that broke the immersion and reminded me of other games. A lot of character interactions and treatment felt ripped off of Hades. The combat is pure Dead Cells. The platforming at its toughest reminds me of Celeste and Guacamelee.

But when it's good, man it's good. The abilities you unlock are really great. They forced me to tackle bosses and navigate sections in ways no other games of this type has ever asked me before. The combat got more and more layered, the bosses as tricky as you'd find in a Souls game, the secrets as devious as you'd find in any decent side scroller and I found myself wanting to see every last bit of the map.

I gave up on a few of the stupidly hard trap platforming bits, but on the whole I loved almost every section. The rush I felt for clearing the harder parts was immense.

And the game does have some of its own ideas, from placing screenshots on the map (to recall previously visited areas) to levels frozen in time via capabilities that will become staples in lesser platforms for years to come. By the end of the game, I had mastered the moveset and felt invincible.

It's one of the best reimaginings of a game series I can think of in years, and I hope it gets the success it deserves. All in all, this is exactly how you bring back a long loat series and find a new audience.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

12/01 - The Legend of Zelda: The Missing Link
28/01 - Tony Hawk's Underground
02/02 - Max Payne
03/02 - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (Hero Mode)
07/02 - Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
14/02 - Max Payne 3
23/02 - Splatoon 3: Side Order (first clear)
28/02 - Splatoon 3: Side Order (all Palettes cleared)
05/03 - Alan Wake
08/03 - Alan Wake's American Nightmare
17/04 - Skye
27/04 - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate HD (Hard)
04/05 - Star Wars: Republic Commando

Recently my mind wandered towards the various old Star Wars games that I’ve not tried before, even though I’ve managed to gather quite a few of them over the years. I had heard good things about this one, despite it not getting much attention generally, likely due to its initial Xbox exclusivity. But I went ahead and gave it a shot, and it turned out to be pretty decent. Not a mind-blowing experience by any means, and I had my issues with it, but a relatively entertaining game that does attempt a few interesting things.

It’s an FPS that also has something of a tactical element to it, although those mechanics are pretty streamlined to mostly focus on the shooting. It also has a slightly darker tone than your usual Star Wars fare, both in themes and visuals. You take the role of the leader of an elite squad meant for infiltrating behind enemy lines for covert ops. You’re not meant to be the heroes getting all the glory on the front lines. I thought that was kind of interesting for a Star Wars game. The presentation is pretty strong as well. There are some good set pieces when it comes to some of the environments you play through. This game actually reminded me of Halo Reach in a couple of ways too. Mostly for the visual style and the dynamic it tries to create with the squad you play with.

The tactical mechanics of commanding your squad are pretty simple for the most part. They extend to some basic general commands and some context sensitive stuff that are both of varying usefulness. Like if you find yourself going up against a boss enemy you can tell one of your team to lob grenades from behind cover while telling everyone else to focus their fire on a specific target, etc. They are not very smart when it comes to getting out of harm’s way themselves though. The controls can be rather fiddly too when it comes to deciding between telling your squad to do a task and doing it yourself, as they both use the same button, but change depending on whether you are aiming at the exact right spot that it wants you to. But it does at least give this game a bit of flavour beyond just the shooting.

The actual shooter combat is okay, but not great. It’s playable, but flawed. Guns don’t have much feeling of impact and there isn’t a very wide selection to choose from. Aiming controls are a bit wonky too. The acceleration on turning feels inconsistent, the Y axis is too sensitive and lacks any way to adjust independently, and although there is supposed to be some level of aim assist, it doesn’t feel like it helps enough. The enemy variety is also rather lacking, their AI isn’t very good, and they soak up a ridiculous amount of ammo to take down, especially when it comes to the heavier enemy types. The aiming controls do at least feel pretty responsive, and this isn’t the worst feeling console shooter of its era. It’s passable, but honestly not a highlight of the experience.

There isn’t really much to the story here. It’s mostly just going from place to place and completing objectives. It tries to give your squad mates their own distinct characters, but they don’t have much to go on either. Much like Reach, the squad’s personalities consist of merely a scant few signifiers pointing towards some military cool guy archetype. Although I have to give credit to Reach having this one beat by at least having a few slivers more than that on a couple of occasions.
DeadpoolNegative

Post by DeadpoolNegative »

The Expanse: a Telltale Series Deluxe Edition (PS5, January 6th)- Deck Nine does a prequel series featuring the Amazon series' best character- Camina Drummer, played by Cara Gee. The Expanse is a show that I liked but never loved, mainly because the two nominal leads are played by actors I find terminally dull. Gee is never dull. She really put a jolt into the show when she started appearing as the head of Tycho Station's security in season two. A Belter who doesn't put up with any shit, Camina is a pretty good video game protagonist.

Taking place some time before the series proper- there's only one other familiar face, and it's very late in the game- Camina is the XO of the salvage ship Artemis. Her boss is a mean drunk, there are a pair of shifty brothers she's not entirely sure she can trust, but some of the other crew members she likes, especially the cute girl. Of course, the crew stumbles upon a wrecked ship that winds up containing a certain item of importance whose existence certain parties would prefer to keep under wraps. What follows over the five episodes is Camina trying to survive terrorists, the OPA, and her own crew, all while trying to discover the true nature of what she's discovered.

This is probably one of the best Telltale games I've ever played- the brutal, violent word of the Expanse is more suited to the brutal, violent tendencies of Telltale games as opposed to say, Fables or Batman. Gee is her regular great self, but the rest of the voice cast is skilled as well. If you've never played the Expanse, you won't be lost for the most part although there are references you won't fully appreciate.

It helps that the decisions feel like they have a genuine impact. Death doesn't feel like a cheap shock tactic as they did in Walking Dead past season two, when a character dies I was genuinely remorseful.

I got the deluxe edition, which is a one episode dealie, features the show's other great character, Chrisjen Avasarala, once again played by Shoreh Agdashloo. The crafty politician finds herself trapped in lockdown while a political crisis happens, and must maneuver herself to save the day for the greater good, and get the votes she needs. It's not really necessary but if you're a fan of the actress and the character it's a must play. But the most amusing thing about it is
That you discover it's taking place on the day that Avasarala's son died. People who remember playing the special edition of Before the Storm may recall that bonus episode, about Max and Chloe's last day before Max moved away, ends with the reveal that Chloe's dad just died in a car accident. It was funny then, and let me tell ya, it's funny now. Deck Nine, I know you're stealing from the best, but stop swiping from yourself.
Return to Monkey island (Series X, January 15th)- I'm quoted in the 2 Monkey 2 Island podcast as theorizing that Ron Gilbert ended the game the way he did because he was "trying to blow it apart", that he didn't want a franchise around his neck and wanted to move on (also he wrote Guybrush as a lot lamer than he was in the first game). Gilbert has said he always had a plan for the confounding reveal that Guybrush and LeChuck were actually little kids- seemingly brothers- playing pirates in an amusement park. Return to Monkey Island has a tutorial level that reveals what that plan is and... well, it works. It requires you to ignore a bit what Monkey Island 2 was implying, but it makes for a rather dandy tutorial level.

Eventually, once we find out who those two kids really are we rejoin Guybrush proper as he and Elaine find themselves in a race with LeChuck to finally discover the secret of Monkey Island. What follows is, as they say, classic Lucasarts. Gilbert was joined by his former partner in crime Dave Grossman for this one, and the humor and puzzles are about what you'd expect. It's clever, but it's also slight- you'll be able to get through it fairly quickly. And the ending is, well...
Gilbert once again refuses to give the player any payoff, which I guess is keeping in spirit with the series but the way he tries to drive the point home by the final shot before the credits is a several second long shot of Guybrush directly at the player, just... Ron, if you ever come back, you can't pull this trick again.
Don't listen to the Save Your Game episode about this game. You will like it less.

Also, not enough Stan.

Robocop Rogue City (Series X, February 11th)- awwwww man, that's the stuff. This is fan service- the good kind. Teyon haven't made a great game here- but they've made a pretty damn entertaining one. The writers crafted a campaign of decent length that for once doesn't do what every piece of Robocop media has done for decades- ignores the events of the two sequels. Nope, Rogue City fits squarely in between the events of Robocop 2 and 3. There's a lot of callbacks to the events of 2, and the plot is about a "New Guy in Town" who's taking over the Nuke trade in the wake of Cain, Angie, and Hob's deaths. Plenty of characters from the first two movies make an appearance, though Johnson is conspicuous by his absence.

The gameplay is a slow, deliberate FPS, and the devs have really thought about what it would be like to move as Robocop. You stomp around and (at first, anyway) are practically invincible, whipping your Auto-9 out and splattering brains all over. You grab a guy and just throw them, and they dead. There's something gleeful about it all.

There's a quasi open world segment in which you patrol a small section of old Detroit to solve minor and major crimes. It's worth doing because the upgrades are good, and it gives value to the world Robocop is defending.

There are points where it gets too difficult and cheap, especially in its boss battles, and the final boss is a genuine disappointment. Characters with sniper rifles are comically overpowered for some reason. But overall if you're a fan of the franchise it is a must. And as a good solid AA game it's worth playing too.

Mafia II: Definitive edition (Xbox One, February 25th)- Mafia II on the 360 has a special place in my heart, as it came out just after a major life change where things that had been bad for a very long time suddenly got better. So playing it gives me a little extra buzz of memory. The Definitive Edition, which I got very cheap, is pretty much the same game looking only slightly better and with all the DLC I didn't buy the last time.

The story is effectively told, that's the strongest part about it; thing is it's a bit slight. Vito Scaletta, like Tommy Angelo, joins the Mafia for more money and opportunities. Unlike Tommy Angelo, he doesn't start a family; in fact, his activities contribute to the dissolution of his family. There's not a lot that's redeemable about him, which is by design, but makes for interesting viewing.
There's the amazing scene where Tommy goes to pick up a drunk Joe and Joe accidentally murders the bartender, and Tommy buries the body without another thought. This is not address again. It's blunt commentary on the indifference guys like Vito and Joe have towards anyone who's not them. The crime doesn't pay message is really driven home by the fact that to save himself, Vito inadvertently gives up the only friend he has.
As for the gameplay, it's fairly standard cover shooter stuff. Every chapter is structured like you get up, driveto the mission giver, go to the mission, drive home and end your day. It's... having a job? The game world is massive but unlike the previous and subsequent games, there's hardly any collectibles to find there (the best collectible- the Playboys- are mostly acquired in the missions). Based on interviews at the time, I suspect there was a massive amount of content cut- story and gameplay- to get out a game. Mafia III leaned too far in the big game world and stuff to do, at the expense of a story, while strong, was spaced out between tons of busywork. There's something zen about every chapter being a day at work, but it's dull as well

And yet, I have a lot of good memories of the game, the mission, the voice acting from Robert Costanzo and Rick Pasqualone, characters like Leo Galante, and... well I don't want it spoil it. Worth a play if you can get it on sale, which is often.

Judgment (Series X, March 16th)- I played and enjoyed Lost Judgment on Xbox One, and am generally a fan of the Yakuza series, but I hadn't played this game since it never came out on the One and I shared my PS4. Well, since I have a Series X (and a PS5) now, I gave it a whirl. This game is fine, but it's not as effective or interesting or deep as its sequel. The combat is still very solid and the game is well paced, but the story while pretty compelling for a while, completely falls apart in the end because
the plot is about the government covering up human trial experiments for a possible cure of Alzheimer's. But it's revealed eventually that the drug not only doesn't work, it has NEVER worked, and despite tests for YEARS, it's actually been doing nothing but killing the test subjects. Everyone just took the mad doctor who was developing the drug's word that he was making progress. I'm sorry, that just makes no sense. The game tries to lampshade this is that some of the higher ups involved are so blinded by their own tragic experiences with Alzheimer's and dementia that they're willing to ignore the human cost of the trials, but after so long, and so many bodies covered up, wouldn't they want some sort of proof?
It soured the whole experience for me. I plan a DLC/New Game Plus play through of Lost Judgment on the Series X in a few months.

Plumbers Don't Wear Ties Definitive Edition (Series X, March 21st) I honestly don't know what to say about this one other than I want my $19.99 back. I'll admit I didn't watch any playthroughs or videos about this game, just read descriptions because I wanted to go in cold. It certainly was a thing. The game seemed oddly unintuitive for what is essentially an absurdly simplistic visual novel. The extras were nice, I suppose. But it's a first draft, more like a quarter draft, turned into a game. The Good Bad Flicks quotes the creator of this thing as saying people should "Get over it"- but you actually charged people money for this!!!!

Open Roads (Series X, March 29th) - Thanks, Xbox GamePass! So, a five year development cycle, the departure of the controversial studio founder, then the founder reclaiming the studio as a one man operation and the developers becoming the Open Roads Team, and finally limping onto GamePass, and... it's 90s minutes? It's basically Gone Home with more locations and a more complex plot? I mean it's a GOOD plot, and for something that probably took them a few hours, Keri Russell and Kaitlyn Dever (Who's 27, isn't she kind of tired of playing 16 year olds?) do pretty solid VoiceOver work. But you're charging $24.99 for this.

In the far flung past of 2003, mother and daughter Opal (Russell) and Tess (Dever) are cleaning out the house of their late mother Helen as the house has been sold and Opal is not sure where she and her daughter will be staying next. In the course of the house cleaning, Tess finds evidence (In a hidden compartment in the attic, of course) that Helen had an affair with a mysterious man after her husband died of a heart attack. Opal and Tess drive to the family summer home- which has remained untouched or unsold despite no one going near for 35 years (wouldn't that have come up in the examination of Helen's estate?) to investigate. And what they find leads to another road trip, and... I won't spoil it, except to say the final reveal is satisfying.

There's some good dialogue, and there's something neat about the classical, almost rotoscoped design of Opal and Tess contrasted with the more traditionally realistic look of the environments. I cared about their present situation more than the mystery, and the use of very short texts (this is a 2003 story, after all) helped with the effectiveness. IT's definitely worth a play if you have GamePass, but I struggle to recommend it full price.

Grand theft Auto V (PlayStation 5, April 15th)- thanks PlayStation Plus! What else can I say about this game? This is my SIXTH Playthrough of the single player game. Twice on Xbox 360, three times on Xbox One, and now on PS5. I can't help it; I just love this game. This was the first time I chose the "Kill Michael" ending (it's a 11 year old game, I think I don't need to spoiler tag this) and it wasn't quite as well done as the "Kill Trevor" ending it was very cinematic. I do plan to go for 7 one day, on the Series X, maybe I'll have enough to write a book about it then.

Arcade Archives: Vigilante (PlayStation 4, April 25)- when I was 12, and the TurboGrafx-16 was almost a thing, one of the games I wanted to play on it was Vigilante, a port of an arcade game. Despite the short length of the game, I really dug it. Actually that's probably because of its short length, at about a half hour I don't have time to get annoyed with the paucity of enemy types. punch, kick, punch, kick, jump, nunchaku!

--Dan
oni-link

Post by oni-link »

Two more for me:

Persona 3 Reload

I'd played FES back in 2018, and to be honest this felt extremely close to that experience. It even looks exactly as I'd remembered, however looking up how FES actually looked showed it was quite the leap. The spirt of the original is captured really well though, and I liked the tweaks and additions that were added. You can really tell the devs learnt a lot from 3 (and then 4) when looking at 5 (the most recent game).

There was scope here to really expand the game and add a lot more to it, whereas ultimately we have a very close, almost 1 to 1 remake, so in a way it's almost a missed opportunity. That said, it's still a classic and this is probably the best version of Persona 3, and the ending still hits like a sledgehammer. Great game.

Cave Story

I can't believe this is a 20 year old indie game. Even the idea of playing a two decade old indie game seems wrong for some reason. I'd managed to never play this before, so felt like now was a good time. I went in blind so missed getting the best ending, however I loved what I did play. The game looks, sounds and plays so well, and the level design is great. The story is intriguing and moving in equal parts, and the bosses are fantastic. The final section was brutal though.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

12/01 - The Legend of Zelda: The Missing Link
28/01 - Tony Hawk's Underground
02/02 - Max Payne
03/02 - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (Hero Mode)
07/02 - Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
14/02 - Max Payne 3
23/02 - Splatoon 3: Side Order (first clear)
28/02 - Splatoon 3: Side Order (all Palettes cleared)
05/03 - Alan Wake
08/03 - Alan Wake's American Nightmare
17/04 - Skye
27/04 - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate HD (Hard)
04/05 - Star Wars: Republic Commando
13/05 - Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

In my browsing of old overlooked Star Wars games this is another one that popped up and looked appealing. Maybe another one of these better-than-expected movie games. Going in it seemed like The Force Unleashed would be a good point of comparison, the PS2 version in particular to give this game a bit of a fairer chance. While it does share some common traits with TFU, it quickly became apparent that it’s much closer to the Lord of the Rings movie games. It has the same general structure, the same type of brawler gameplay with light RPG elements to upgrade skills, the same set piece driven cinematic presentation, the same fixed camera angle perspectives, and even the same system of rating your performance as you play and using that to calculate experience.

First impressions were pretty good. It’s quite visually pleasing, with some impressive environmental backdrops too. Your attacks are also nicely animated with complex and fluid motions. Of course having the Star Wars source material definitely helps this game a lot in having a great aesthetic foundation to draw from, and this game does a good job translating that at least.

But it didn’t take long for the cracks to start to appear. The combat is incredibly flawed in so many ways that it makes the experience of actually playing this pretty awful a lot of the time. This game does have a wide range of combos much like the LotR games, but actually successfully getting most of them to come out as intended is a nightmare. Controls are generally really clunky and unresponsive, to the point where it feels like the output of your button presses is mostly random. A lot of the more complex moves also require you to perform them at the end of basic combos, but it’s near impossible to tell when exactly that’s going to be thanks to the unreliability of your actions and how overly animated the attacks are, making trying to pick out where the game thinks the “end” of a combo even is really difficult. Not to mention having to wrangle with the mysterious logic of the Schrödinger's input buffer. A lot of moves also require you to push the stick in a direction to pull off, and it’s another very unclear and finicky thing that isn’t worth attempting most of the time. The tracking on your attacks is also terrible. So even if you somehow actually manage to pull off a move you’re desperately trying to come out, pointing that towards an enemy is another uphill battle in itself.

Enemy design is also pretty bad, seeming to fall in to one of two extremes, with some randomly flip-flopping between these two categories. Lower level enemies are so weak that you don’t really get any chance to engage with the mechanics with them. They go down in a couple of hits and barely pose any threat whatsoever, so there isn’t any incentive or opportunity to do anything more than the most basic stuff. On the other side you have the bosses, who are absurdly aggressive and barely give you any window to retaliate at all. If you do actually get a chance to hit them, they will almost always block everything you throw at them anyway. You’d think this is the point where you actually are supposed to get more advanced with the mechanics, but doing so is useless. They will just hit you out of anything you attempt. That is if you even get far enough to start an attack animation before they’re already stun-locking you for half the fight. In between these two are the higher level normal enemies, and fights against them are completely inconsistent. Either they will fold just as easily as the weakest enemy near instantly, or they will somehow seem near invincible and block everything, tearing through your health with cheap moves.

The game is really bad at teaching you how it works too. There’s no tutorial to show you the ropes, but it does sometimes flash messages on screen at certain points. They don’t explain things clearly at all, come at unhelpful moments, and don’t stay on screen long enough to be able to take in. There is a combo list telling you what all the inputs are, but some of the more complex inputs are not particularly clear on what they mean either, which of course isn’t helped by the clunky controls making it hard to tell if it’s you doing it wrong or it’s just the game not picking it up right.

I honestly didn’t want to be this negative about this game. This is the sort of game I would have just moved on from and not bothered talking about, but with the first impressions seeming promising, by the time I realised how bad it was I was already locked in for the long haul. It’s also a very short game, so if it were longer I’m sure I would have dipped before finishing it. It did make me realise how weirdly common it seems to be for Star Wars games to struggle with lightsaber combat, especially given how that’s one of the most prevalent things in games based on this franchise. I don’t even mean that in the sense you often hear, in that they just play like ordinary melee combat games and the lightsaber isn’t treated as it should be. Honestly I would prefer if they could just be competent at that. In my experience I would say the TFU games are probably the most successful, although when compared against other games in that genre they are still pretty lacking. The Jedi Knight games often come up as the best example, but I’ve yet to be convinced. I admit my time with those games is very limited, having only played a chunk of Jedi Academy, but what I saw came up very short from the praise people give those games. The only other major candidate I can think of that might actually deliver on this are the Fallen Order/Jedi Survivor games. Haven’t played them myself, although I am interested in trying. They do look somewhat floaty though. Mulling over this I think I’ve realised that the best iteration of lightsaber combat in games might actually be in No More Heroes, both in terms of being a competent traditional action game, as well as making the weapon itself feel like a white hot laser capable of severing limbs with ease, and not just your usual video game melee implement.
oni-link

Post by oni-link »

Far Cry 6

I do like the Far Cry games, but found 5 to have one of the worst stories I've ever played in a game. It also has the least interesting setting in the series (to me, anyway) so considering the tepid reaction to 6, I wasn't expecting much.

So it was actually a nice surprise to find that 6 is actually better than 5 in every way. You actually play as a voiced character again this time around, and the game also has a lot of cutscenes that move away from first person.

The story is goofy, and a lot of the characters are more annoying than endearing, but overall it comes together nicely. The map is huge and you could argue it lacks variety, but it's fun enough to traverse and there are so many bases and checkpoints and anti aircraft guns to take down, you're always close to something fun.

It's very much a junk food game, and as the 7th (!) Far Cry since Far Cry 3 launched, the formula does really need a hard reboot, but all in all, 6 is a fun but very much predictable ride.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

oni-link wrote: May 14th, 2024, 3:53 pm Far Cry 6

I do like the Far Cry games, but found 5 to have one of the worst stories I've ever played in a game. It also has the least interesting setting in the series (to me, anyway) so considering the tepid reaction to 6, I wasn't expecting much.

So it was actually a nice surprise to find that 6 is actually better than 5 in every way. You actually play as a voiced character again this time around, and the game also has a lot of cutscenes that move away from first person.

The story is goofy, and a lot of the characters are more annoying than endearing, but overall it comes together nicely. The map is huge and you could argue it lacks variety, but it's fun enough to traverse and there are so many bases and checkpoints and anti aircraft guns to take down, you're always close to something fun.

It's very much a junk food game, and as the 7th (!) Far Cry since Far Cry 3 launched, the formula does really need a hard reboot, but all in all, 6 is a fun but very much predictable ride.
I'm a Far Cry fan but I tried 6 a few times now and have never got past a few hours. It doesn't do anything badly or different from previous games but I think that was the problem for me, I think I have just got big Far Cry fatigue. I know it's rumoured that the next one is going to be a big reboot where you have a set period of time in the game to save some kidnapped person, it was compared to how Majoras Mask works which sounds pretty cool.
oni-link

Post by oni-link »

Truk_Kurt wrote: May 15th, 2024, 9:25 am
oni-link wrote: May 14th, 2024, 3:53 pm Far Cry 6

I'm a Far Cry fan but I tried 6 a few times now and have never got past a few hours. It doesn't do anything badly or different from previous games but I think that was the problem for me, I think I have just got big Far Cry fatigue. I know it's rumoured that the next one is going to be a big reboot where you have a set period of time in the game to save some kidnapped person, it was compared to how Majoras Mask works which sounds pretty cool.
Yeah I do think a reboot is needed, and I do like the idea of that rumoured reboot with the time limit. I don't think they can get away with making Far Cry 7 and having it be pretty much the same as 5 and 6 but with a new location.

Fatigue is def an issue with these kind of games, and if you count Blood Dragon as it's own game, in the last 12 years we've had:

FC3
FC3:BD
FC4
FC Primal
FC5
FC New Dawn
FC 6

I think 7 games over 12 years would be a lot for most series' but more so when the games are big open world games like Far Cry, and most of the above games are sticking quite closely to the formula that was galvanised with 3.

I do personally enjoy the gameplay loop, but I can completely see how someone could start playing a newer game and find that it's mostly more of the same. I think in isolation, 6 is one of the best games in the series, but when you consider that a lot of players will have played some of the older games as well, that can dull the shine somewhat.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

oni-link wrote: May 15th, 2024, 9:39 am Yeah I do think a reboot is needed, and I do like the idea of that rumoured reboot with the time limit. I don't think they can get away with making Far Cry 7 and having it be pretty much the same as 5 and 6 but with a new location.

Fatigue is def an issue with these kind of games, and if you count Blood Dragon as it's own game, in the last 12 years we've had:

FC3
FC3:BD
FC4
FC Primal
FC5
FC New Dawn
FC 6

I think 7 games over 12 years would be a lot for most series' but more so when the games are big open world games like Far Cry, and most of the above games are sticking quite closely to the formula that was galvanised with 3.

I do personally enjoy the gameplay loop, but I can completely see how someone could start playing a newer game and find that it's mostly more of the same. I think in isolation, 6 is one of the best games in the series, but when you consider that a lot of players will have played some of the older games as well, that can dull the shine somewhat.
It's not just the gameplay and gameplay loop side of things either, it's also the whole aspect of their being some crazy leader who acts as the villain, 6 was probably the biggest diversion from that but even in 6 it was still pretty similar but it was a crazy dictator instead of cult leader. And then in all the games you think they will form a bigger part of the game but then only turn up a handful of times.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I think the original Far Cry (1) on PC is still my favourite. Felt revolutionary at the time, huge open spaces but still a linear game. I remember hiding in bushes from enemies and holding my breath in real life. It felt far less bombastic than later games. Crysis was the 'real' sequel to Far Cry in my book.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Battlefield 3 - Series X.
(Jan) Hi-Fi Rush - Series X.
(Jan) Daymare 1998 - Series X.
(Jan) The Beast Inside - Series X.
(Feb) XIII - Series X.
(Feb) Close to the Sun - Series X.
(Feb) Atomic Heart - Series X.
(Feb) Return to Grace - Series X.
(Feb) MADiSON - PS5.
(Mar) TDPA: House of Ashes - PS5.
(Mar) RE Village: Shadows of Rose - PS5.
(Mar) Those Who Remain - Series X.
(Mar) Warhammer 40,000: Boltgun - Series X.
(Mar) Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - PS5.
(Mar) Control: Ultimate Edition - Series X.
(Mar) DREDGE - Series X.
(Apr) Little Nightmares - Series X.
(Apr) Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition - Series X.
(Apr) Robocop: Rogue City - PS5.
(Apr) Little Nightmares II - Series X.
(May) Fallout 4 - PS5.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Jan 4th - Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PS5)
Apr 16th - TLoZ: TOTK (all shrines) / Shadow of the Tomb Raider (Challenge Tombs) / Helldivers 2 (PS5) / Split Second (Xbox Series S)

May 17th - Resident Evil 4: Separate Ways (PS5)

A fun victory lap that does a decent (if hardly revelatory) job of filling in some blanks in Leon's story and resurrects a few settings from the original game that were chopped from the remakes main campaign.

Playing the game on Hardcore meant the bosses were a bit of an unwelcome challenge spike, but I got through it once I worked out the desired tactic.

The grapple gun makes some of the combat encounters a bit more varied but bar that, it's really just more of the same. Which isn't bad at all, given it's a wonderful game. But it just lacks any real surprises.

Not sure personally it's worthy of the adoration that many reviews bestowed upon it, but it's a decent enough bit of DLC for the price.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79 wrote: January 2nd, 2024, 12:11 pmJAN - Strider (Arcade on Evercade)
JAN - Strider (Megadrive on Switch)
JAN - God Of War (PS5)
JAN - Universal Paperclips (Android)
FEB - Alwa's Awakening (Evercade)
FEB - Little Inferno (Android)
FEB - Spider-Man 2 (PS5)
FEB - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade on Switch)
FEB - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game (NES on Switch)
FEB - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project (NES on Switch)
FEB - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (NES on Switch)
FEB - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall Of The Foot Clan (Gameboy on Switch)
FEB - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Back From The Sewers (Gameboy on Switch)
MAR - Mario Golf (Gameboy on Switch)
MAR - Duke Nukem Remastered (Evercade)
APR - Castlevania Legends (Gameboy on Switch)
APR - The Combatribes (Arcade on Evercade)
APR - Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen (Switch)
APR - Bioshock (Switch)
MAY - Tinykin (Switch)

This is one of the greatest 3D platformers of all time. It stands alongside the very best Mario games and any others held in such high regard. An absolute delight to play from start to finish. Very rarely I'll try to 100% a game, and I did this one in just over ten hours. I can't think of a single flaw, it's just brilliant fun. Highly recommend.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Alex79 wrote: May 17th, 2024, 10:52 am
Alex79 wrote: January 2nd, 2024, 12:11 pmJAN - Strider (Arcade on Evercade)
JAN - Strider (Megadrive on Switch)
JAN - God Of War (PS5)
JAN - Universal Paperclips (Android)
FEB - Alwa's Awakening (Evercade)
FEB - Little Inferno (Android)
FEB - Spider-Man 2 (PS5)
FEB - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade on Switch)
FEB - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game (NES on Switch)
FEB - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project (NES on Switch)
FEB - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (NES on Switch)
FEB - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall Of The Foot Clan (Gameboy on Switch)
FEB - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Back From The Sewers (Gameboy on Switch)
MAR - Mario Golf (Gameboy on Switch)
MAR - Duke Nukem Remastered (Evercade)
APR - Castlevania Legends (Gameboy on Switch)
APR - The Combatribes (Arcade on Evercade)
APR - Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen (Switch)
APR - Bioshock (Switch)
MAY - Tinykin (Switch)

This is one of the greatest 3D platformers of all time. It stands alongside the very best Mario games and any others held in such high regard. An absolute delight to play from start to finish. Very rarely I'll try to 100% a game, and I did this one in just over ten hours. I can't think of a single flaw, it's just brilliant fun. Highly recommend.
It might be sacrilegious to say but I much preferred it to Pikmin 4.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

It's kind of an odd comparison. You're certainly not the only one to make it, but I think aside from both games featuring little creatures you can tell what to do they're completely different games, really. But yeah, I prefer it to Pikmin too!
markfm007

Post by markfm007 »

seansthomas wrote: May 17th, 2024, 12:52 am Jan 4th - Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PS5)

May 17th - Resident Evil 4: Separate Ways (PS5)

A fun victory lap that does a decent (if hardly revelatory) job of filling in some blanks in Leon's story and resurrects a few settings from the original game that were chopped from the remakes main campaign.

Playing the game on Hardcore meant the bosses were a bit of an unwelcome challenge spike, but I got through it once I worked out the desired tactic.

The grapple gun makes some of the combat encounters a bit more varied but bar that, it's really just more of the same. Which isn't bad at all, given it's a wonderful game. But it just lacks any real surprises.

Not sure personally it's worthy of the adoration that many reviews bestowed upon it, but it's a decent enough bit of DLC for the price.
That's about how I felt too. Nice to have more of the game, but most of the new encounters were a bit weak in comparison to the main story. That room with the multiple knights and crossbow guys in the castle was especially bad. The grappling hook also trivializes part of the combat strategy by zipping you straight to enemies and knocking everyone over in the way. I still mostly enjoyed it, but if I were to replay RE4 I doubt I'd replay Separate Ways.