Why the love for Gordon Freeman?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Imo

Why the love for Gordon Freeman?

Post by Imo »

Now I am not trying to antagonise or be purposefully controversial but I played through the orange box last month and then happened to listen to the relevant C&R shows. Whilst I fully agree with the general consensus that despite a few low points the series is still after all this time one of the best available on the market and is executed with a level of confidence and personality that many would say is sorely lacking in many of todays shooters.

Even before playing the games I was aware of Gordon Freeman, he has become something of a deity among the gaming community, even when having no interest in the series I was always aware of him, much like Mario, Sonic etc but I just cannot understand the love for him and I would genuinely be interested in the opinions here regarding why he is such a favourite for people.

I suppose it comes down to the silent protagonists argument, with that in particular I'm on the fence in saying there is no definitive answer but that it works in some games (Dead Space) and not in others (Dishonoured) Gordon Freeman in particular has no personality, no thoughts or emotions no motivations outside being the agent of the players interaction within the world, he is essentially a floating crowbar. The stars of the series are the supporting cast and one its highlights there interactions but Gordon takes no part in these to the point that he feels like the supporting character in some cases.

Don't ask me why but one of the moments that really sticks with me in gaming is Alyx placing her hand on the glass as you descend in an elevator, it is a simple yet beautiful statement of compassion, concern and almost remorse for the danger she must ask Gordon to face - He has no reaction to it, no reciprocation of the gesture, no reassurance for a women that we assume he cares about. Allies are forced into danger or come to harm - Gordon doesn't flinch. Secrets are revealed - again no reaction. He saves the world at Black Mesa yet certain people patronise him - he is fine with that. I would say that Half life is not story based but rather character based and yet the main protagonist has no character.

It comes off as completely apathetic which could be interpreted in a few ways. First that he is stoic and broody and second that he is stupid (Which he can't be as we are told he is a scientist) third that he is mankinds most humble product, any of which make him a clown. He is also lauded by gamers for being 'just a scientist' on his way to work not a super soldier but is he that different to Call of duty's Price? for an average guy he is fairly proficient with a shotgun.

Don't get me wrong I think it is established now and going forward it would be impossible to get it right but like I say I am really just curious as to love he gets. Also I loved the games so this is no indictment on them as a whole.
magicjoef

Re: Why the love for Gordon Freeman?

Post by magicjoef »

I think because for those hours during HL1 and HL2 we were all Gordon Freeman.

I also think it was a good implementation of the 'everyman becomes hero'. Even though you don't get exposition from Freeman directly, those first minutes in HL1 you learn a lot about him, you see his place of work, the people that he works with before the disaster happens.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Me and Leon explained this on the podcast. We don't think of Gordon as Gordon, we think of Gordon as us. It's not Gordon Freeman in that world it's me. Gordon's only function is as a vessel for me to inhabit, so that I can immerse myself in that world.

Gordon Freeman isn't "really" a character at all. But he has become a symbol. And that's where the love comes from, because Gordon is symbolic of the amazing Half Life experience fans had.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Can't really put it better than that. For me when I see Freeman, it means that Half Life is involved in some form and that's a lovable thing, indeed.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Same with Mario, Link and Samus really. They're iconic because of the games they have been involved with, not for having any interesting character traits.
Sean

Post by Sean »

This is something I've just had to give up and realize I'll never understand it.

Silent protagonists have always bothered me. It's why I have no real inclination to even finish Dishonored. It was probably the worst / most laughable, for me, with Isaac in the first Dead Space.

It bothers me less in games like Fallout, where, at least I have *some* vocal interaction with people. Or in military games, where, all you're supposed to do is listen to orders and move along. But, in games where I don't have those things, I just can't wrap my head around the idea of a character walking up to people, listening to them talk, and, then just walking away and doing what they ask. I have a real disconnect with the idea that I'm supposed to imagine myself as the character, but, also as a mute. And, whenever I see Gordon Freeman popping up on "best character" lists, it always baffles me.

So, yeah, as I said, I just don't get it, and, probably never will at this point. I honestly wish it didn't bother me, because, I just can't feel the love for some of the most admired games.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I think Combine Hunter hit the nail on the head there. Gordon Freeman doesn't exist - he's you. I'm not really sure that many people have ever said he was an outstanding example of a video game character though. The games, yes, but never specifically Freeman. Having said that, I am not overly keen on Half Life 2, but the first was the first PC FPS I ever played so it'll always have some good memories for me.
Imo

Post by Imo »

I fully agree and understand with what Combine hunter is saying, that Gordon is an embodiment of us as players within the world and did understand your points from the podcast but for me that heightens the disconnect because I wanted to comfort Alyx when she doubts herself, I'm worried about her on occasion but he remains silent and unflinching. He is a representation of me that doesn't represent me. Rather than feel like Gordon Freeman I feel like his mate who he can't hear, begging him to open up but he just won't. I would argue that Mario's impact is unhampered by his lack of characterisation because he is not placed in situations that would require him expand upon himself and lets be honest no one has ever played Mario for its story.

Can fully get behind Gordon being a symbol of half life and loved on that basis.

Wizard of odd I would point you to the Gordon Freeman wiki page and its 'reception' section. It points to him being included in numerous best character lists.

Sean seems we are in the same boat although personally I give Isaac a pass as a bloke from the lower classes who probably didn't speak much to begin with only to his fellow engineers and his partner - neither of which is present. In many ways I thought of him as a depressive, reclusive loser who is terrified and getting on with it. Dead Space 2 he has to change because now his understanding and therefore confidence are entirely different. He is literally coming out of his shell. But Korvo is terrible because everyone else around him indicates his interaction, his personal silence without a reason (silent protagonists could be fine I think if contextualised) turns him from deadly assassin on a quest for vengeance and redemption to a subservient bitch who is easily manipulated. Guess your right though and it is something that we will have to simply admit we don't 'get'

Genuinely appreciate your thoughts so cheers