The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
clippa

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by clippa » April 16th, 2019, 5:51 pm

You've been out with your long haired friends again, haven't you?

Suits

Post by Suits » April 16th, 2019, 6:10 pm

Sensible Soccer is rad.

Nothing feels like it or has such a rampant game music.

It pretty much ruled the roost for us until the Evolution versions of ISS came out.

JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix » April 16th, 2019, 6:57 pm

PS1 and PS2 emulation wouldn't be that difficult, PCs far less powerful than they're claiming the PS5 is can handle them with no issues. From what I understand, the PS3's unique processor would make it pretty hard to emulate if they wanted to go that route though. It kinda seems like they're going all-out on the hardware, so maybe they want to do so with other aspects like full backwards compatibility as well.

clippa

Post by clippa » April 16th, 2019, 7:19 pm

That's the game with the gloriously overdone aftertouch where you could bend it like a telekinetic Beckham, isn't it? you could take a corner and bend it into the net. Fabulous.
Yeah, I really liked that on the amiga, had no idea it was on the xbox.

If we're playing daft gimmick shooter top trumps, my gooey wang beats your icky booger any day of the week.

Ooh yeah, I really liked international superstar soccer as well. Did you ever play brutal sports football on the amiga? It runs really slow when you see it nowadays, but it was so much fun. Like a sideways version of speedball 2, by the end of the match, there'd be loads of corpses and blood, you could slice peoples heads off and stuff.

Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » April 16th, 2019, 9:33 pm

Considering how half-committed I am to the current generation of hardware, I think the next will be where I either bow out completely, or at least take a break from it.

More powerful hardware has really not lead to better games. If anything, judging by the bloat in AAA titles, like they're not really sure what to do with all that power.

The Switch is the least powerful, yet there's games. The PS5, 6, 7, etc can have all the power it wants, but eh... games first.

JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero » April 17th, 2019, 6:18 am

Joshihatsumitsu wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 9:33 pm
More powerful hardware has really not lead to better games. If anything, judging by the bloat in AAA titles, like they're not really sure what to do with all that power.

The Switch is the least powerful, yet there's games. The PS5, 6, 7, etc can have all the power it wants, but eh... games first.
I don't know if I agree that any bloat within the current generation can necessarily be levelled at Sony with the likes of the two Uncharted titles, God of War, Spider-man, Astrobot, Horizon Zero Dawn and Dreams being amongst their first-party output this generation. If anything it's coming from the likes of publishers like EA.

As for the games, irrespective of which generation of PlayStation they appear on, we have the likes of The Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding and the inevitable sequels to Horizon and God of War to look forward to in the not-to-distant future.

Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » April 17th, 2019, 7:39 am

JaySevenZero wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 6:18 am
Joshihatsumitsu wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 9:33 pm

I don't know if I agree that any bloat within the current generation can necessarily be levelled at Sony with the likes of the two Uncharted titles, God of War, Spider-man, Astrobot, Horizon Zero Dawn and Dreams being amongst their first-party output this generation. If anything it's coming from the likes of publishers like EA.

As for the games, irrespective of which generation of PlayStation they appear on, we have the likes of The Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding and the inevitable sequels to Horizon and God of War to look forward to in the not-to-distant future.
That is good point... I forgot about Ghost of Tsushima and Death Stranding... okay, I may need to modify my opinion somewhat, because those are two games on my radar!

Suits

Post by Suits » April 17th, 2019, 7:45 am

Sony have put up a superb offering of first party things over the last couple of years. Superb.

Seeing God of War in resolution mode certainly increased my enjoyment of that game.

So going off what MS are potentially putting together with their massive new studio focus and what the Sony side of things will do with follow ups - then I’m all for new hardware taking those experiences to he next level.

Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod » April 17th, 2019, 8:50 am

I definitely won't be buying a PS5 at launch, I'm still fighting through a massive PS4 backlog. And frankly, I feel kind of cheated that the PS4 Pro even exists... Like, my PS4 was about to shit the bed, so upgrading seemed like a no-brainer. But knowing the PS4 Pro was a substantial price difference for a marginal boost in performance... I feel like the PS5 is going to be more of the same. Woo-freaking-hoo, it has an SSD. Good job lads, the Pro should have had one. How long until the PS5 Pro comes out? A year? I'm not terribly optimistic this thing will sell itself to me.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » April 17th, 2019, 2:38 pm

Stanshall wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 5:31 pm
I have to say, Sensi still plays like a bloody dream. Pure feel. Gu Wang is not my fave, but I appreciate it's doing something different.
Sensi is still amazing, yeah. I never got on with the Xbox 360 remake, but the Megadrive version still plays exceptionally well.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » April 17th, 2019, 3:04 pm

The 360 version plays identically to Sensible World of Soccer 96/97 on Amiga, just FYI. The MD version was a port based around the 92/93 version.

Not saying that doesn’t mean people don’t prefer the earlier version, but the XBLA version was 1:1 if you turned on the classic graphics and sound. Different controller of course!

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » April 17th, 2019, 3:37 pm

I just think it was a mixture of the controller and playing it on the big HDTV. It just never quite felt the same.

Suits

Post by Suits » April 17th, 2019, 4:58 pm

14” CRT and Ian Wroght.

On a SNES.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » April 17th, 2019, 5:06 pm

Was that the bootleg version? I think it had Gerry Lineker on the back.

:lol:

Suits

Post by Suits » April 17th, 2019, 5:34 pm

Could have been, I remember all the vowels being mixed up to avoid licensing issues 😄.

Gameplay was still rad though 😎.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » April 17th, 2019, 6:58 pm

Oh yeah, of course! I just thought you'd make a typo, haha.

:lol:

Suits

Post by Suits » April 17th, 2019, 7:43 pm

Still refer to him as Roggtt now with all the boys :lol: .

Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod » April 17th, 2019, 9:54 pm

What even is Sensible Soccer? European folks talk about it all the time, but I've literally never heard of it over here.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » April 18th, 2019, 6:15 am

Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod » April 18th, 2019, 11:23 pm

PlayStation Classic was on mad clearance in Canada today. The Source (formerly Radio Shack) had them for $20. Sold out, of course. Best Buy had them for $30, and I managed to get an open box one. $30 for a weekend modding project? That's one hell of a great thing.

The PS Classic may be rancid arse as a $120 CDN consumer product, but as a $30 emulator box in a retro chic casing? It's one hell of a great product - something I can bring to my mom's so she can play Sonic and Earthworm Jim like back in the day.