The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
KSubzero1000

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by KSubzero1000 » November 1st, 2019, 6:47 pm

Oh sorry, man. I must have misunderstood.

One possible explanation I can think of is that your HDD might not have the extra free space necessary to record your footage properly in the background.

I would suggest either deleting something or rebuilding your database, which shouldn't take too long and might potentially solve the problem in the case of corrupted data or something.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » November 1st, 2019, 8:39 pm

I've never had it not work, but sometimes I'll press for a screenshot and it'll be at least ten seconds before it actually takes one!

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » November 27th, 2019, 5:08 pm

December PS+ games:

Titanfall 2
Monster Energy Supercross.

Tites 2 is a good one, but it's been a fiver in every sale for the last 12 months. So we're getting about £20 worth of games.

I'm rolling my eyes.

stvnorman

Post by stvnorman » November 27th, 2019, 6:38 pm

My son liked the Monster Energy Supercross demo, and I’m unlikely to even spend a fiver on Titanfall 2 but will give it a go if it’s stuck in front of me, so no complaints.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » November 27th, 2019, 8:30 pm

Yeah the Supercross game has had fairly positive reviews. The Internet rumour mill was pretty insistent we were getting the God Of War 2018 reboot though.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » November 27th, 2019, 9:23 pm

I didn't see that rumour. I'm fairly sure Sony is still making good money off of that one so I would have been extremely surprised. Maybe in another year.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » January 29th, 2020, 4:49 pm

February PS Plus games are:

Bioshock Collection
The Sims 4
Firewall Zero Hour (VR needed)

That's...a fairly impressive month! I'm not a huge fan of the Bioshock series, but I wouldn't mind replaying them. My sub has now lapsed though and I don't intend to renew for a while, so count me out. Not a bad month though, considering recent form.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » January 31st, 2020, 1:43 pm

New FF7 remake trailer out there. If you’ve been avoiding these cause you don’t want to know what they’re changing or what things will look like now, you should *really* avoid this one.

It looks so good. Surely they’re not going to mess this up now? Surely.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » January 31st, 2020, 2:07 pm

It looks amazing! I can't even imagine what 19 year old me would have thought after just playing the original. I think my head would have exploded.

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » January 31st, 2020, 4:02 pm

My man Red XIII looks great

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » January 31st, 2020, 7:04 pm

I’ve watched a few videos talking about the remake recently, and almost everyone in them is around the same sort of age. People who would’ve been in the early to mid teens in 97/98 when FF7 first came out. It’s a hugely important game to a lot of people, but it seems to be especially true of that age group.

For many it was the first jrpg they played, as Maximilian puts it in his video on the subject ‘RPG’s were about dragons and knights and shit and that held no interest for me as a teen’. It’s a gateway game, it got people into a genre they might’ve not played otherwise. In Europe especially, because very few of the jrpgs that were localised into English and released in the US made it here (the platform holders tended to only grant releases in Europe if they covered at least French and German as well as english, and not many Japanese publishers thought it was worth the effort)

It’s also hugely important to the development of the actual industry. It was one of the first console games that actually justified the cd rom format over cartridge, most of what had been done before was to throw in lots of FMV or redbook audio, but not really use the space for content. FF7, in the form they made it, could not have been done on the N64.

It changed the way a lot of developers looked at not just the genre (there’s way more RPG’s that step outside traditional fantasy after ff7 than before), but the way they built games at all.

It’s also the reason I’m a game developer. Sitting in my cold student flat playing through it while my housemates watched on, every one of us held firm by it, wanting to know what happened next, i knew that I wanted to make games. Games like FF7.

I don’t think I’ve ever quite got there (though some might say the Fable games are on the way there), but it’s why I do this.

I don’t think it’s my favourite final fantasy game though, that still belongs to Tactics, which came out the same year. (A recent kotaku piece on tactics said that saying it’s your favourite final fantasy is both correct, and cheating...)

So while my reaction to these trailers hasn’t brought me to tears of joy, hasn’t been as transcendental as it seems to be for those a few years younger than me, I’m happy to see a game I consider ‘important’ get this treatment.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » January 31st, 2020, 8:16 pm

Yeah I feel similar. It was the first JRPG I played, but more than that, it was the first game I ever really remember talking about with a friend in the pub. We were both playing it and I remember we'd go down the social to wait for my then girlfriend to finish work and literally sit for three hours talking about nothing but the game. That became as much a part of my memory as playing the game itself.

It almost ruined games for me for a while. The whole reason I went so long hating Zelda was because after I finished FF7 and wanted another RPG someone suggested Ocarina Of Time. It didn't even come close to what I was looking for and I resented the series for that illogical reason for well over a decade!

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » February 14th, 2020, 1:52 pm

Well I don’t know about you, but I’m going to be listening to all the many versions of “Opening - Bombing Mission” this afternoon.