Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
clippa

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by clippa » February 12th, 2020, 8:12 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
January 25th, 2020, 3:52 pm
I'm not a big fan of FPS
Surely there are other types of games. Third person shooters, for example.

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle » February 12th, 2020, 8:14 pm

Been playing more Monster Hunter World: Iceborne and slowly chipping away at some of the post-game stuff. At this point though, I think I'm starting to run out of steam for the game. It's still a good time, but to get to the last few assignments that are left, I need to get my master rank up quite a bit, and I'm not sure I feel motivated to do so. Not really any appealing short terms goals in the meantime to get me there. I did fight Zinogre though, which was very cool. That's a great monster. I also got over some of the problems I had with the game recently too. One thing that has bothered me was that some of the new monsters are really fast and jump around excessively, and it's just kind of exhausting to play. With the camera constantly flying around everywhere, it gets kind of bewildering and it felt like I couldn't keep up with the pace of the game. But for some slightly different reasons, I decided to change the type of lock-on I was using, which I haven't changed before my whole time playing. I stopped using the type that constantly focuses on the monster all the time like most games do, and started using the old school camera where pressing a button turns the camera in the direction of the monster, but otherwise gives you manual control. You'd think that would be worse for something that jumps around out of view all the time, but actually it's much better. It allows you to get your bearings much more effectively, and also helps with attacks that depend on moving the stick in relation to your character. It made monsters like Nargacuga, Ebony Odogaron, and Shrieking Legiana much less of a stressful time.

Also started playing Yakuza 3 Remastered as the physical version for this just came out. Still in the slow opening hours. It's interesting to come back to this game again, since the original was the first one I played and which got me in to the series. The substories really have improved a lot in later games, although that's something that was already apparent with the Kiwami remakes. This one feels like something of a strange transitional game. Stuck half in the style of the PS2 games, but clearly making progress towards the more ambitious and fleshed out later games. Combat still feels really good, if a bit less fluid than later entries. The way background characters move seems rather cartoonish now as well. It's kind of strange.

clippa

Post by clippa » February 14th, 2020, 12:46 pm

clippa wrote:
October 23rd, 2019, 2:49 pm
I've been hankering for a new arpg for ages.
clippa wrote:
July 12th, 2019, 7:54 pm
Still after a new ARPG to grab me
Christ, give the bairn a lolly, will ya?
Sucked on this for 4 hours last night. So far, it's a ten from Len!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/4243 ... of_Mayhem/

stvnorman

Post by stvnorman » February 15th, 2020, 7:57 am

Jobobonobo wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 6:17 pm
I knew a fair few people were disappointed in the PS Classic but if you could get it hacked, then I might be more inclined to check it out! One thing I am curious about though, is if a hacked PS Classic can take dual shock controllers or are you stuck with the old school controllers? Especially in regards to N64 titles, being stuck with just the D pad would be an absolute pain.
I think I was in the minority that wasn’t disappointed which is why it took me so long to mess with it, though I was given it as a gift knowing it had been bought in a period when it went very cheap. There was enough on there I adored and enough I’d never played but wanted to to make it worthwhile for me.

As I’ve delved a bit deeper into trying stuff from other systems, N64 is the only place where I’m having some difficulty. Some things work fine “out of the box” but both Mario Kart and Mario 64 aren’t taking directional inputs from the PS Classic controller. I’ve not spent that much time experimenting yet but I’ve seen a video of someone remapping the controls for Goldeneye so I know it’s possible. I’ve also been looking into an adapter from 8BitDo that seems to allow you to connect any wireless controller, so I think with a combination of both you can probably set up something that does a decent job.

For the time being I’m pretty happy spending my time elsewhere on it, specifically Destruction Derby 2!

Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham » February 16th, 2020, 8:47 am

Titanfall 2

I've got PS Plus again at the moment as my brother and I have been doing some co-op Dark Souls and Monster Hunter World, so I decided to give this another go after only doing part of the first mission a few weeks back. Now I can't put it down! An amazingly good feeling FPS, and the environments are so attractive.

I also like the way you just choose one gun to hold at a time, as I obviously pick the best one available rather than hoarding the best guns and using something less optimal. Clever way to make the gunplay really immediate and satisfying (and I suppose it ties into multiplayer, which I haven't mucked about with yet unless a few hours of Apex Legends a year ago counts).

Assassin's Creed Syndicate

Got a craving to fire this up after scrolling through old screenshots and seeing an amazingly atmospheric view of London I managed to catch. This has never stopped being a beautifully rendered game world even after half a decade. The interiors are also just sublime - something this series has always knocked out of the park.

I never touched The Dreadful Crimes, a series of murder investigations where you have to gather clues and then choose who you accuse. Turns out they're pretty fun! I just downloaded the DLC stuff which I'd picked up in a sale a while back, so I can see myself getting back into this game for a few hours over the next couple of weeks. Sadly, the combat controls still just ain't great.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » February 16th, 2020, 8:51 am

Jon Cheetham wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 8:47 am
Assassin's Creed Syndicate
I'm currently on a very slow play through of the entire series. I've got to start and finish Unity first, but I'm really looking forward to Syndicate.

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » February 16th, 2020, 9:14 am

Sorted Nvidea Geforce now to see how it holds up vs Stadia and to play Disco Elysium on my Mac.

Interesting without being blown away so far. I think you need mouse and keyboard to play it optimally so glad I picked it up before waiting for the console ports.

Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham » February 16th, 2020, 11:29 am

Alex79uk wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 8:51 am
I'm currently on a very slow play through of the entire series. I've got to start and finish Unity first, but I'm really looking forward to Syndicate.
Nice! I also like Unity a lot. Paris is just incredible to explore. It's like being there (despite the guards having British accents, haha)

ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan » February 16th, 2020, 12:03 pm

DomsBeard wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 9:14 am
Sorted Nvidea Geforce now to see how it holds up vs Stadia and to play Disco Elysium on my Mac.

Interesting without being blown away so far. I think you need mouse and keyboard to play it optimally so glad I picked it up before waiting for the console ports.
Cool. Never heard of that service before. Might give it a go. I'm also quite keen on trying out that game. What speed connection do you have?

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » February 16th, 2020, 12:06 pm

Jon Cheetham wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 11:29 am
Alex79uk wrote:
Nice! I also like Unity a lot. Paris is just incredible to explore. It's like being there (despite the guards having British accents, haha)
Ah, I always play in local language with subs (if option exists). Made Renaissance Italy a lot more authentic!

Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham » February 16th, 2020, 12:36 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 12:06 pm
Jon Cheetham wrote:
Alex79uk wrote:
Ah, I always play in local language with subs (if option exists). Made Renaissance Italy a lot more authentic!
I wish I'd thought of that! :oops:

stvnorman

Post by stvnorman » February 16th, 2020, 2:43 pm

Finished Bioshock on PS4 from this month’s PS+ offering. It was good, motion-sickness aside, but didn’t blow me away and I’m on the fence about whether or not to give the sequels in the collection a go.

Last year’s Demon’s Tilt on Xbox is firmly in my top 15 games of all time, and I’ve now got its PC-Engine predecessor, Devil’s Crush, running perfectly on my newly hacked PS Classic. It might not be quite as polished by modern standards, but it still looks and sounds brilliant, and its multi-screen occult pinball plays like a dream once you get a feel for everything that’s going on. And given the hours I’ve spent playing it over the weekend I’ve certainly done that!

And speaking of top 15 games of all time, I’ve only spent slightly fewer hours playing Destruction Derby 2 on there. The graphics haven’t aged too badly compared to other PS1 racers, but it still controls well, and the chaos and unpredictability is still unsurpassed!

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » February 16th, 2020, 3:10 pm

ThirdMan wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 12:03 pm
DomsBeard wrote:

Cool. Never heard of that service before. Might give it a go. I'm also quite keen on trying out that game. What speed connection do you have?
Minimum 40 at home and it worked on my Mac at work whose Internet isn't as strong

ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan » February 16th, 2020, 3:49 pm

DomsBeard wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 3:10 pm
ThirdMan wrote:
DomsBeard wrote:

Minimum 40 at home and it worked on my Mac at work whose Internet isn't as strong
Cheers. I just signed up and played a few minutes of Paths of Exile. My connection is meant to be 50mbps but it's averaging 35. Even so, it was playing mostly fine. If it's a cheap and cheerful way of playing the likes of Disco Elysium at a decent level of performance then it's a runner.

Hopefully a super-fast connection is imminent. My neighbours, directly across the street from me, have a rock solid 200mbps connection that's not available to me, just 100 feet away! So frustrating.

ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan » February 16th, 2020, 7:46 pm

ThirdMan wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 3:49 pm
DomsBeard wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 3:10 pm
ThirdMan wrote:
DomsBeard wrote:

Cheers. I just signed up and played a few minutes of Paths of Exile. My connection is meant to be 50mbps but it's averaging 35. Even so, it was playing mostly fine. If it's a cheap and cheerful way of playing the likes of Disco Elysium at a decent level of performance then it's a runner.

Hopefully a super-fast connection is imminent. My neighbours, directly across the street from me, have a rock solid 200mbps connection that's not available to me, just 100 feet away! So frustrating.
I tried both Disco Elysium and Kingdom Come: Deliverance via wired connection. Both are playing fine although at 32-35kbps I'd guess they're at 720p (I don't have a great eye for resolution).

I was particularly impressed with the latter game. Everything set to Very High and mostly coming in at 55+fps. Overall It looks and performs much better than both console releases. It's quite an odd feeling seeing the game playing on my rickety, 8 year old Macbook.

It's a cool piece of tech. Thanks again for bringing it to my attention.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » February 16th, 2020, 9:59 pm

Futari has been a harsh mistress tonight.

I know I'm posting this like every other week, but I feel kind of shmupped out at the moment. I think some change of scenery might be in order. I've been putting off my Death Stranding playthrough for an embarrassingly long chunk of time, so I should probably get on that as soon as possible and redeem my fanboy honor. Not to mention that sweeeeet 60fps Vanquish action lurking just around the corner, ready to rocket slide into my life and discombobulate me in *check notes*... less than 48 hours!!

I made a point to boot up DMC3 and grab a couple of random S ranks to remind me of the meaning of life. I've also dipped my talon into the Metal Slug: Input Lag Collection and it's pretty cool, it turns out.

PS: All that damn phantom clicking is legit messing up my sleep cycle. Devil's Contraption, wish I'd never bothered.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » February 17th, 2020, 9:19 am

Jon Cheetham wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 12:36 pm
Alex79uk wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 12:06 pm
Jon Cheetham wrote:
Alex79uk wrote:
I wish I'd thought of that! :oops:
Haha, I didn't even realise Nolan North played Desmond till I got to the third game! :lol:

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » February 17th, 2020, 9:21 am

I've been enjoying Mega Man X on the legacy collection for Switch. Only got three bosses left, but I'll admit I've consulted a guide to find a couple of the suit upgrades. It's good. The game is hard, but once you've got the run down it generally only takes a minute or so to actually reach the bosses, and if you know what you're doing they can be beaten within ~30 seconds each. The entire game could probably be beaten in about half an hour if you're good at it!

Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod » February 17th, 2020, 3:13 pm

I'm gonna play Front Mission: Gun Hazard today and try and complete it this week. It's been on my backlog longer than any other game, and I wanna hear that amazing OST.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » February 18th, 2020, 10:18 am

A considerable rotation for me at the moment and I'm absolutely loving it.

Groove Coaster Wai Wai Party!!!!

I may have mentioned this in passing but what a game this is. Such a satisfying challenge and the moment-to-moment gameplay is as fun and exhilarating as almost anything I can remember playing in recent years.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

I'm at the last boss now after going back to this. I'd say it reminds me of Cuphead more than anything else, a deceptively gorgeous game with consistent difficulty spikes which require you to grind your way through. It's pretty frustrating and probably built to be so, but if you throw half an hour at any boss or level, you'll get it in the end. Not a glowing endorsement, I know, but I think it's a fair assessment. I've enjoyed my time with it as a whole but it's also telling that it's taken me since launch to get this far, approximately eight hours' worth of game.

Edit: I've just finished it! The last boss was as irritating as all the others and followed the same pattern of learning by repeated sudden deaths until you get the phase down, rinse and repeat. The prospect of me going back to mop up the secret exits and challenge world stuff is nil.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses

This was my most played Switch game of last year and while I'd always intended to go back to see the story through with another House, it's taken me until the recent Expansion to dip my toe back in via NG+. It's as satisfying as ever, although I'm cranking my way through the social stuff this time around because the story is apparently identical until the halfway point. I do wish they'd made each run through completely distinct but I also understand why that would be tricky with the overlapping parallel narrative in the first half. My mate has also put nearly 170 hrs in and he's been badgering me to give the new stuff a go, so that's given me extra impetus. I may save the new Expansion House for a separate run, though. I'm really keen to check out Edelgard's story this time after seeing her from the Blue Lions perspective on my first run.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore

This continues to delight. It's as much of a Persona game as I am interested in. I find the social stuff and time management gives me option paralysis in those games because I'm constantly aware of the paths I've been neglected for every decision I make, and I've little interest in replaying to see what tiny differences the other decision would have made. This streamlines all of that to a simple main story, some neat side story stuffy which is worthwhile and a few compact areas. It's all about the atmosphere and the gameplay. Will I finish it? I don't know. I've only ever finished one JRPG, and that was FF7...and that was last year despite starting it when I was still in school. Nevertheless, this has a good chance of being the second.