Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
DomsBeard

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by DomsBeard »

Alex79uk wrote: August 2nd, 2017, 12:03 pm I did the first hour or so of Oxenfree last night and enjoyed it. I would have a hard time saying the dialogue is any better than LiS though. One thing I'm finding annoying is that you're never sure how long you have to make a dialogue choice. Sometimes I'd like to hear the end of what the other person is saying but you either have to interrupt them and cut them off or not say anything. Sometimes the choices linger on screen for a lot longer than other times. But, the music and general atmosphere makes up for that.
That's exactly what I'm feeling too :lol:
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Been playing some ARMS in local multiplayer as well. Really good fun and it can get very tactical, baiting Rush flurries and the likes.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

On the subject of OXENFREE and LiS dialogue, I really can't put my finger on the issue I have with the latter that I don't find with the former. It's not just the choice of slang and language, which I agree is pretty consistent across both. I think it's something in the sentence structure and delivery. Maybe it's just that the characters look a little too plastic for my taste in LiS too, so the ridiculous things they say feel even more awkward. I'll persevere!

I had the exact same issue in OXENFREE with regards to the dialogue timing. I think they were trying to add pressure and momentum to your choices but there could have easily been a more obvious timer (like The Witcher 3) rather than the more ambiguous and inconsistent fading. Plus there's no need to add that pressure to every interaction - her friends come across as incredibly impatient for responses :)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

It handles cutting people off really well, makes even the way Telltale do it seem a bit old fashioned.

I guess to me the interactions just felt more genuine in oxenfree, like these people have actual history with each other and you can feel that tension in the dialogue.

I agree it’s a taste thing, I have a soft spot for the ‘something is not quite right’ feel of oxenfree.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Sorry I keep capitalizing Oxenfree when it's not supposed to be. There was a lot of chat about it on the news site I write for around the time that every other independent title insisted on ALL CAPS. I keep forgetting which ones were which :p
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

So yesterday I went to sleep way later then I should've and that's because I made the mistake of starting Hyper light drifter! I got this awhile ago but I was waiting the hype around it to die down so I could get into it fresh so last night I decided to give it a go and I just kept playing and playing until the second boss was dead... so yeah I really like it.

Not to brag or anything but Im yet to find the "super difficult" part of this game, it's been smooth sailing from the beginning for me, the parts that gave the most trouble are the "plataforming" but combat hasnt troubled me at all,for example I beat the first boss with no upgrades and managed to defeat the second boss on my first try, I expected the combat to be really fast here but I find it very methodical, it can get a bit hectic when the game throws hordes of enemies at you but if you keep calm and moving it isnt much trouble, maybe it's because I got so much into Furi last year because the combat here feels very much like a slow version of that game, btw not being able to aim your gun and move like in Furi really trips me up.
It goes without saying that the pixelart is gorgeous, the aesthetic seems like Zelda meets End of Evangelion XD and I really like that also really digging the music it's very understated but it fits very well. So yeah Im gonna keep playing that.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I was gutted when my original PS3 died and the replacement version no longer ran all the PS2 games I was never likely to play again, but it took me ten years and three months of owning one to have just found out that all models can play original PlayStation games from disc! Rather than struggle getting a box down from the loft in case it was too good to be true, I grabbed Destruction Derby 2 and I'm over the moon that it not only works fine, but has aged far more gracefully than its predecessor!

That generation and its wobbly 3D polygons don't generally look great today (why I'm dubious about an N64 Classic), but Destruction Derby 2 stays passable enough that you can focus on enjoying the gloriously chaotic racing with its big pile-ups and damage management which seem to influence the race result far more than your driving skill. I'd forgotten how hard it is to win a race, and if you get taken out early on, how hard it is to even catch the pack again on the bigger tracks. I'm enjoying it so much that the big box of PSOne games is going to have to wait for some time...

Back to 2016, I'm officially addicted to No Man's Sky again - last night a planned ten minute hop to a space station to pick up a dynamic resonator to complete one of the building missions turned into an aimless two hour exploration session, which is how that game rocks for me! And I'm still spending minutes at a time avoiding motion sickness making slow but sure progress in Doom.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Ha! I obtained Destruction Derby 2 late last year for next to nothing, having never played this sequel before. It's absolutely ridiculous and quite engaging that way.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Because I seemingly can't concentrate on any game at the moment, tonight I find myself booting up Diablo III: Reaper of Souls on the Xbox One. I'm completely new to the series - it's actually my first Blizzard game of any sort! I felt like going in blind here with no real knowledge of the systems or lore. I've rolled a Monk on Hardcore mode (just normal difficulty, but I like the idea of dicing with permadeath). It was initially intimidating to see all these stats and menus and the voice acting is pretty poor in my opinion, but I'm enjoying the look of the game world. Carving up hordes of skeletons and strange beasts is as satisfying as it should be.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

kintaris wrote: August 3rd, 2017, 12:11 amI'm completely new to the series - it's actually my first Blizzard game of any sort!
I believe you are still ahead of me - my first Blizzard experience is Blackthorne on the SNES... at least you're in modern times! :D
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The voice acting in Diablo 3 is indeed dreadful. But it's part of the charm, it's always been a bit cheesy.

The chap playing Deckard Cain is clearly having the time of his life chewing his way through the scenery.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Todinho wrote: August 2nd, 2017, 6:02 pm So yesterday I went to sleep way later then I should've and that's because I made the mistake of starting Hyper light drifter! I got this awhile ago but I was waiting the hype around it to die down so I could get into it fresh so last night I decided to give it a go and I just kept playing and playing until the second boss was dead... so yeah I really like it
What bosses did you do, East then North? I agree about the game being more methodical than twitch etc, it's a fine piece of work. However I hit an issue with the North boss where I couldn't quite finish him off and his final checkerboard-type attack always got me eventually. I felt I needed a weapon upgrade and the idea of going back to the village and then fighting my way up there all over again just didn't appeal. A real shame as it was a lovely game.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

(I'm pretty sure the game has been quite extensively patched regarding balancing and difficulty since release, too).
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Chopper wrote: August 3rd, 2017, 9:46 am
Todinho wrote: August 2nd, 2017, 6:02 pm So yesterday I went to sleep way later then I should've and that's because I made the mistake of starting Hyper light drifter! I got this awhile ago but I was waiting the hype around it to die down so I could get into it fresh so last night I decided to give it a go and I just kept playing and playing until the second boss was dead... so yeah I really like it
What bosses did you do, East then North? I agree about the game being more methodical than twitch etc, it's a fine piece of work. However I hit an issue with the North boss where I couldn't quite finish him off and his final checkerboard-type attack always got me eventually. I felt I needed a weapon upgrade and the idea of going back to the village and then fighting my way up there all over again just didn't appeal. A real shame as it was a lovely game.
I did North first then West, but despite him being the first boss I took down he's certainlly been the hadest I fought so far, his AoE paterns on the floor are by far the hardest parts but it's once again that thing of trying not to panic and pay attention, once I did that in his final phase I realized that patern was pretty simple it was just the same straight lines over and over again so I just stood still and kept shooting him with my gun until he was dead. I dont know if they changed that in a patch like Alex said and it used to be harder but if so more of a reason to try and jump back in ;) .

One thing that's driving me insane in this game though is that I cant chain dash to save my life, I dont think I ever came across such a core mechanic to a game that I couldnt master to save my life, I mean I can do it well enough when Im moving around but whenever I have to do it on command to solve a puzzle I choke, there's an achievement for doing it 800 times in a row and I was flabbergasted, I cant even do it 10 times!
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Hmm, I seem to recall that there was a final unavoidable aoe attack that insta-killed me; it didn't trigger for ages and my theory was that if I could do a bit more damage he would never get to launch that attack. I could be totally wrong though! I might actually install it again.

There's a building in the village that lets you practice the chain dash, I can't remember if it gives timing prompts or anything though.

East boss is very easy, I think you're supposed to start with him :)
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Yeah I must've praticed there for like an hour but I could never do it on command when I needed it which drove me insane because I finnished the game just now and I was missing a gun, 2 keys and a triangle and Im sure they were behind one of the dashing challenges/puzzles that I couldnt complete,I dont wanna say that mechanic is bullshit since I've plenty of people on youtube do it no problem but I just never managed and just gave up. And yeah frog boss is the easiest boss no doubt, I didnt even get hit when I fought him, and the northern boss was for me the hardest fight other then the final one for sure.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Played through Sonic 1 on the Mega Drive last night with the wife.

Her first time.

She hated the Labyrinth Zone and thought that it was crazy Sonic could swim. Something I'd never really considered up until last night :lol: .

I played it on a PAL system with horrific letter boxing, why did we put up with that rubbish - it looked awful :( .
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Without getting bogged down in comparing Sonic with real world animals, hedgehogs can swim a bit, although they probably can't jump around underwater using air bubbles to survive.

Fun fact: Gorillas are one of very few animals that can't swim at all, due to their physical size and shape.
Suits

Post by Suits »

When I was a child we used to look after hedgehogs that didn't make weight in winter and fail to hibernate.

Caring for them over the winter then handing them over to the national hedgehog society trust in Cardiff.

Every single one we looked after was named Sonic. Naturally.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Haha, that gave me a chuckle. Good commitment to the cause.