Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
dezm0nd

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by dezm0nd »

Alex79 wrote: February 16th, 2022, 5:43 pm
- Not sure how to become an emissary for one of the factions. I've done a bunch of Gold Hoarder missions but don't seem to be able to become an emissary yet.

There are tables nearby their respective drop off tents. Vote at one much like a voyage.

- There are 100% definitely islands I get missions for that aren't on my ships map. Last night I spent over 20 minutes painstakingly scrolling along the map trying to identify an island I needed to go to. It just wasn't on there. So I looked it up online and someone on a forum said the island was at R22 or something. There was nothing on my map, even zoomed right in, but I decided to sail there anyway - empty sea!? In fact, most of the southern part of my ships map is empty. Do some islands only appear on there if you actually see them in the game?

there are uncharted islands yeah

- I don't seem to be able to play the Tall Tales, it just says I haven't found something. Are they unlocked gradually by finding stuff in the game?

they're done in order. The first one is on ancient spire outpost.

- I'm keen to play the PotC stuff, but wondered if I needed to be more experienced to manage it. Has anyone tried it solo before?

the potc stuff is designed for solo players in mind, so they say. I've not done them solo but ultimately all tall tales can be done on your own, too
Hope that helps!
Cornelius_Smiff

Post by Cornelius_Smiff »

Never having had much love for the Halo series (I had tried several times to love these games honest!), but I have to say I am having a blast with Halo: Infinite right now. It fixed one of the biggest bug bears of the entire series for me... The feeling that I lacked any sort of tangible mobility. The hook mechanic is brilliant and it makes alot of fights feel very Doom Eteneral like, but more in keeping with the standard FPS mechanic as opposed to outright mayhem. There is something very satisfying about traversing sheer cliffs and hitting that sweet spot as you fly over the summit and shoot a grunt dead in the face with a well place sniper shot whilst still free falling.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Alex79 wrote: February 17th, 2022, 2:19 pm It's easy to get caught doing endless, repetitive delivery tasks in Death Stranding, but if you forge on ahead with the story it really just constantly knock it up a gear right up to the end. I'd say ignore side stuff and get stuck in to the story missions. I felt the same around chapter 3/4, but the game does keep surprising you the more you play. I loved it in the end. Don't be afraid to use bikes and trucks, either.
Maybe I could go back each week and play an hour or two amongst other games to make some slow progress.
markfm007

Post by markfm007 »

I'm having a bit of a quiet period for games in the run up to the Elden Ring release. I'm planning to wait a day or two to check the reviews and watch people play a bit, just to make sure it's not a Cyberpunk situation. Seems unlikely as I'm not seeing any warning signs, but better safe than sorry. The hype around it's got a bit mad so I'm going to avoid the inevitable arguing that sparks when that happens. I also took a break from Demon's Souls as I didn't want to go straight from one Soulsborne to another.

In the meantime I decided to finally try Cuphead after seeing it in Vol 11. As of writing I'm on Island 2, beat Baroness van Bon Bon and am taking on the genie. There's a lot to love about it, but it's also very frustrating. I'm playing it in short bursts and am just taking it as it goes, rather than trying to finish it for the episode. Haven't really formed a full opinion yet.

I also decided to re-download Horizon Zero Dawn and have a relaxed run around and trophy hunt. Playing it on PS5, you could convince me this is Forbidden West, it looks and runs so beautifully. I'm still loving the machines. Their erratic animal nature makes it feel like you're a big game hunter, rather than just taking down an enemy, and the fights frequently get completely bonkers. I'm in no rush to play the sequel but I'll get to it one day.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

dezm0nd wrote: February 17th, 2022, 9:51 pm
- Not sure how to become an emissary for one of the factions. I've done a bunch of Gold Hoarder missions but don't seem to be able to become an emissary yet.

There are tables nearby their respective drop off tents. Vote at one much like a voyage.

- There are 100% definitely islands I get missions for that aren't on my ships map. Last night I spent over 20 minutes painstakingly scrolling along the map trying to identify an island I needed to go to. It just wasn't on there. So I looked it up online and someone on a forum said the island was at R22 or something. There was nothing on my map, even zoomed right in, but I decided to sail there anyway - empty sea!? In fact, most of the southern part of my ships map is empty. Do some islands only appear on there if you actually see them in the game?

- I don't seem to be able to play the Tall Tales, it just says I haven't found something. Are they unlocked gradually by finding stuff in the game?

- I'm keen to play the PotC stuff, but wondered if I needed to be more experienced to manage it. Has anyone tried it solo before?

the potc stuff is designed for solo players in mind, so they say. I've not done them solo but ultimately all tall tales can be done on your own, too
Hope that helps!
It does, thanks! Going to start the POTC stuff tonight I think :)
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

I'll admit that this is game accessibility's version of 'first-world problems' but it is a niggle.

I'm 1.5 hours into The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD and I want to give the motion controls a proper go as that is how the game was originally designed. There is a slight problem though, I'm left-handed and the game maps the sword to the right joy-con. I could, in theory, swap joy-cons, but they're less comfortable that way and I will definitely get confused about the L/R buttons. Having the sword on the left joy-con might be more awkward as movement is on the left stick but I think I would feel a lot better about the motion controls if I could give it a go. Sadly there seems to be no option in the game to swap the motion controls.

This was not a problem in the original (which I haven't played) as the Wii-mote was held in the dominant hand.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Still completely obsessed with early arcade bullet-hell shoot ‘em up Batsugun, and I’m doing alright at it now! Elsewhere on MAME I also became more briefly obsessed with Ninja Commando, a 1992 Neo-Geo vertical run and gun shooter that has you time travelling to what I think is three randomly ordered iconic eras after the first stage boss - the Stone Age, Feudal Japan and Ancient Egypt. The gameplay is loads of fun if not massively memorable, but it’s a looker whenever or wherever you end up, and has the best Tutankhamen death mask boss you’ll ever see in a game! Battered me the one time I met it though, and the Japanese boss is the only one I’ve managed to beat a couple of times so far, mainly because that seemed by far the most popular random choice so I had the most practice there!

One more evening on Taiko no Tatsujin: The Drum Master! on Xbox Game Pass mopped up the last of the easy and normal difficulty song clears, a few hard ones I wanted to go back to and even a few in extreme mode (which I failed miserably). I’ve now done every song at least twice, unlocked all the extra songs I wanted, dressed my little drum guy as a rock guitarist in the second Tutankhamen death mask In this post, got him a voodoo doll mascot and bought the slogan “Squid Lover” for my retro dashboard name bar. And now it’s time to give my fingers a rest and consign this wonderful addition to the series to my 2022 game of the year shortlist, where it’s currently just a drum controller away from the top at this early stage!
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Alex79 wrote: February 19th, 2022, 7:08 pm
dezm0nd wrote: February 17th, 2022, 9:51 pm

Hope that helps!
It does, thanks! Going to start the POTC stuff tonight I think :)
I started playing it weirdly last week too, and found almost exactly all the same things. Did a ton of stuff but it feels very hard to play solo. And I got killed several times feet away from delivering treasure I had trekked across an entire map to get 😭

If we could muster up a C&R crew on here, happy to show a couple of beginners the ropes, I'd be game and break my rule of never chatting to strangers online!
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

I picked up a few rpgs last week and I've been getting into Romancing Saga 2. It's hard, and a bit obtuse, but I've been wanting to play it for a long time, so I'm making a real effort to learn the ropes, as it were.
shadowless_kick

Post by shadowless_kick »

thanks to a post on another forum about light gun games/rail shooters, I was introduced to Assault ChaingunS KM. and I'm so glad I was, cuz I likely never would've heard of it otherwise.

"homage" is too weak of a word; this basically IS the awesome Gunblade NY, albeit with lower production values. as a huge fan of Gunblade and LA Machineguns, I was really intrigued by this, but curious if it could be pulled off effectively on a console, given the massive light guns with recoil action were such a big part of the arcade experience.

I figured it was worth a try. I fired it up and a smile was immediately plastered across my face. I suck at it (just like in the arcades!) and I've only made it to Stage 3 after messing around with it for a bit, but so far I can heartily recommened it to fans of those Sega classics. and I'm playing on a Switch Lite no less, so the experience may be even better for those with access to Joy Con motion controls. it's on sale on the (US) eshop right now. seems like there's only 6 stages, but at its current price, it's worth it for the fun mayhem you can cause.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Played a bit more of NFS ProStreet but I think I've had my fill of it now. The stuttering problem just didn't go away no matter what I tried. Limiting the game to 30fps, as the official 1.1 patch of this game did, makes the problem much worse. Capping at 120fps doesn't make it any better than 60fps. Although curiously I did notice it makes the controls feel significantly more responsive. I expected any changes wouldn't be perceptible, since it's going over my screen refresh rate and is delving in to diminishing returns. Not to mention using the relatively unrefined control method of a controller compared to something like a steering wheel. But even with that improvement, the big issue of the stuttering remains. The closest thing to fixing it is to simply disable any kind of limiter and just run the game without v-sync. The tearing is horrendous though, and it doesn't necessarily stop the stuttering, as the tearing happens most at the same points it would otherwise stutter. So it's mostly just masking it with a different problem.

Getting deeper in to the game I started having issues with its intentional design too. The drift mode is just awful. It's so sluggish and unresponsive. Cars behave really weirdly and inconsistently. They often refuse to transition between drifts, and doing so is really unreliable. Gaining and losing speed takes forever, countersteering appears to do nothing, and it's just really unintuitive and inelegant. It makes me wonder if they designed this in response to criticisms of the drift mode in NFS Carbon. Both games were in the period when this series and a lot of other racing games were trying to include drift specific modes and struggled to make it feel any good. Carbon's system was really twitchy and hard to get used to, especially when it came to transitions. So I wonder if they made this system as an overcorrection to that, trying to create a system that is mostly automated but where it forces you to take things slow and considered. But it just ends up being something that you barely have control over and doesn't do what you want it to. Tweaking suspension settings to be much stiffer helps, but it doesn't fix it.

The cars also seem to be wildly unbalanced too. As I often do with any racing game that will let me, I picked up a Supra as fast as possible and used that as my next grip racing car to replace the starter 240SX. It didn't turn as well but had more than double the power. Surely enough to easily make up for any weakness in cornering ability. It's not like it was bad at turning, and the game puts it in a whole tier higher. But the 240 destroyed it when it came to actual lap times. Even on tracks with an emphasis on long straights. So I had just wasted a bunch of money on a car that should have been way better but was useless. I recently unlocked an R34 as well, and tried to make that my replacement grip car instead. It's not fully upgraded yet but so far it seems like it has the same problems.

It's a shame because I was starting to come around on the game. I do like the concept of it, and they did try some interesting stuff with this race day format. The aesthetic and tone of it is kind of cool too. But the on-track experience is still pretty lacking. Not as bad as I originally thought, but not good enough to elevate it to something I actually want to see through. I'm sure I would be having a better time if this awful stutter wasn't constantly hurting the experience too.
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

Horizon Forbidden West on the PS4 and it is great. Horizon Zero Dawn was the first game I ever played on a PlayStation and so I have a big soft spot for it.

Very long spoiler-free* ramble (v sorry in advance please ignore, am just thinking outloud) :lol:

* except briefly mentioning two minor characters from the previous game who come back for this one - I think they were in or mentioned in lots of the advertising materials so I didn't spoiler cut but if you want to go into the game knowing absolutely nothing please don't read.

- Story

It has a case of sequel-itis where it can't quite replicate what made the plot of the first one so special (all the discoveries about the world and Aloy's origins etc). Especially as so much of the charm of the first one rested on the unexpected surprise of there being a moving and thoughftul story under the ridiculous and fun ROBO DINOSAURS VS CAVE GIRL premise.

The plot is all getting a bit convoluted now - there's a very long "previously on" section at the start, and I've played HZD twice and still had to spend a good deal of time googling some plot stuff I had forgotten. You're subjected to huge info-dumps right from the off and there's nothing at the beginning of the game that comes close to the lovely and haunting opening of HZD where child!Aloy finds the cave with the recordings of humans waiting for death thousands of years ago. HOWEVER even if the story is convoluted, I like that there is a lot of thought put into it and it's not a bland open world story like BOTW or AC or Tsushima.

For all my small complaints, I'm pretty engaged in all the plot stuff in this and there have been some twists so far I didn't see coming that I really enjoyed.

The actors are almost all great - and there are some new A-List additions that made me so pleased (I'll not say in case anyone is avoiding spoilers). Sometimes Ashly Burch as Aloy can come off a bit one note (and that "one note" is her always sounding annoyed and sighing a lot) - especially when she's acting alongside really great actors like Lance Reddick. But she has a lovely voice and on the whole I still like Aloy - even though so far she's a lot more exasperating and matyr-y in this game compared to the first. The guys playing Erend and Varl (Aloy's sidekicks, essentially) are both great. Erend was my favourite character in the last game so I'm glad they brought him back.

- Gameplay

Same as HZD but with some quality of life improvements (smarter AI human enemies, easier to navigate menus etc) and new features (glider, new attack types etc). I could spend hours happily hunting machines and have always thought the arrows and weapons in Horizon feel good to use. I like scanning the machines and targetting parts and setting traps and all that stuff and none of that core gameplay has been changed much. "If it ain't broke" etc.

Climbing is ok - the new grapple feature can feel a bit clunky compared to something like Uncharted 4 or Sekiro. And sometimes Aloy isn't responsive when I'm scaling walls that should be climbable. But the world does feel explorable and it's fun gliding from the tops of cliffs. In terms of visual design, I really liked Guerilla's elega t solution to the problem of ugly rock-climbing wall grips on cliffs in the first game. Now Aloy can scan surfaces with a click of her Focus to activate non-visually-intrusive lights on scalable cliffs.

There are so many things to do it can sometimes feel overwhelming, but the map doesn't feel too crowded and it's easy to sort out tasks I want to tackle. There are lots of fun new errands and quests. Actually, there are so many that even though I've been playing for many hours, I've not progressed so far into the story. But although there are lots of generic fetch quests (usually they involve taking down machines, so pretty fun) and explore ruins for items quests, the stories in the meatier side quests are quite nice, and even if they're sometimes a bit bland, the characters involved are likable and interesting.

I've had some issues with companion AI sometimes (they get stuck on things or move oddly) but nothing that causes the game to break (so far). The "Call Mount" function has become ludicrously OP in this game - I was deep in a labyrinthine underground scientific research facility and accidentally pressed Call Mount and my trusty steed instantly materialised and would not leave! I wonder if this will get fixed because it is a little immersion breaking.

Aloy and the HUD remind the player too often of what to do ("hmm maybe if i scan it with my Focus!" "I'll send these berries to my stash!" "Press X to gallop!" - Guerilla, I love you, but I'm twenty hours in so I know how the controls work or when to use my Focus) - not sure if that's just a Normal Difficulty thing or all difficulties.

- Visuals

An issue in the first game was the stiff and robotic back-and-forth shots of characters when they were talking to each other during non-cinematic dialogue scenes. This has been very much improved in HFW. There are still the back-and-forth cuts from character to character as the player cycles through the dialogue options, but the characters in these scenes are more expressive and move more freely and naturally. It seems like Guerilla really took design feedback into account with this game and the improvements are noticeable.

I am playing on a PS4 but the game still looks great. The character models are fantastic, every human character looks so distinct. I love the use of different clothing and armour to differentiate between the tribes and I love love love love love the addition of face paints the player can use for decoration. There has been so much thought put into the character designs and how the different cultures of the game's tribes are represented visually by their clothes and body paint, and it helps the world to feel rich and detailed. The new tribes in the Forbidden West look incredible.

Environment looks great too. Really no complaints re visuals at all. Every once and a while a background NPC will glitch out of existence or a rock will float or a distant tower won't load in right away, but these are very minor quibbles and Guerilla did a great job at paring down a new gen game for an old gen console. I'd love to try playing it on a PS5.

Tl;dr I'm enjoying it.

If you didn't like HZD then there's nothing new for you here, but if you liked HZD then this is more of all that good stuff. If you play 2 before 1 the plot will be largely incomprehensible (and this game is incredibly plot-focused for an open world game). Really a sequel in every sense of the word.
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

ColinAlonso wrote: February 20th, 2022, 5:33 pm I'll admit that this is game accessibility's version of 'first-world problems' but it is a niggle.

I'm 1.5 hours into The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD and I want to give the motion controls a proper go as that is how the game was originally designed. There is a slight problem though, I'm left-handed and the game maps the sword to the right joy-con. I could, in theory, swap joy-cons, but they're less comfortable that way and I will definitely get confused about the L/R buttons. Having the sword on the left joy-con might be more awkward as movement is on the left stick but I think I would feel a lot better about the motion controls if I could give it a go. Sadly there seems to be no option in the game to swap the motion controls.

This was not a problem in the original (which I haven't played) as the Wii-mote was held in the dominant hand.
I'm left-handed and this kind of thing bothers me too.

There were also a lot of 3DS games that clearly assumed you'd be holding the stylus in your right hand. Annoying.

Also didn't Link used to be left-handed? Changing it is left-handed erasure ;)
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Been playing... New Super Mario Bros 2.

Quite possibly the most by the numbers Mario game in existance. The "New" aesthetic is still plain and the coin gimmick isn't much to write home about and the levels feel like they've been grabbed from Mario Maker 2.

Not sure why it exists, to be honest. It's time for a New New Super Mario Bros series. End this blandness!!!

NB: For the record I enjoy most of the New series of Mario game but once you've heard the same music for 5 games, I find myself a bit tired of the whole thing.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

Bah bah!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Black sheep? :D
SludgeWizard

Post by SludgeWizard »

Still making my way through Banjo-Kazooie, but for whatever reason I have really slowed down. I started off strong, but I've been losing interest over time. But I'm still enjoying it well enough and will finish, but I can't imagine I'll go through and get every collectible or anything like that.

I decided to give Castlevania: Symphony of the Night a real try for the first time. I've owned it forever, but never got more than 30 or so minutes in because I rarely enjoy "metroidvania" games and bounced off.
But I forced myself to play, got over the hump, and I am fully hooked in. I think about it at work, running errands, etc. It's been a very long time since that has happened.

Fresh, hot take: Symphony of the Night is a good video game!
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

dezm0nd wrote: February 23rd, 2022, 7:27 pm Been playing... New Super Mario Bros 2.

Quite possibly the most by the numbers Mario game in existance. The "New" aesthetic is still plain and the coin gimmick isn't much to write home about and the levels feel like they've been grabbed from Mario Maker 2.

Not sure why it exists, to be honest. It's time for a New New Super Mario Bros series. End this blandness!!!

NB: For the record I enjoy most of the New series of Mario game but once you've heard the same music for 5 games, I find myself a bit tired of the whole thing.
Quite possibly the only Super Mario platformer that I actively dislike. I found the coin gimmick to be so incredibly lazy that I was shocked that the normally creative Nintendo would put something that half-assed as their main selling point. The coins don't even do anything of note like unlock new levels, power ups, etc. It felt like it was made out of obligation because well, the 3DS HAS to have a 2D Super Mario and what you end up with is something like a rushed yearly franchise title from Activision or Ubisoft. The fact that they reused the Super Mario World dino boss four times with no variation to the fight summed up the sheer copypasta feel this game had. Probably one of the most soulless and cynical things ever put out with the plumber's name attached to it.

Also hard agree with the need for some actual innovation to 2D super Mario platformers. NSMB2 really was the pit of the bland rut 2D Mario has fallen into. Imagine if they went as all out on a 2D game as they do for the 3D titles! Something like Super Mario Land 2, just full of creativity and absurdity. Mario games are inherently nonsensical and I think it is at its best when Nintendo leans into that wackiness.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

I have been playing Chicory: A Colorful Tale for the upcoming episode as I was a big fan of Wandersong and wanted to try another title from Greg Lobanov. I do like it but it just is not grabbing me the same way that Wandersong did. I can definitely see the Link to the Past influences as you have a big overworld with areas blocked off as you do not have the required ability or item which does make me want to explore its environments which I do appreciate. But it seems to be a slow burner. I liked colouring in every screen but being restricted to four colours annoyed me as I felt like for some items/characters none of the colours seemed to be right. Still, it is very cute and the music is stellar stuff. But yeah, for some reason, I don't feel like it is something that I want to do for long stretches of time. Gameplay is fine but not compelling enough to keep my attention for too long. Still, it is early days and I do like it enough to finish it so hopefully it will click with me a bit more when I have more abilities.

Still going through Dragon Quest VIII and it is so nice playing my 3DS again after so long away from it. Unlike with Chicory, cannot keep away from this and have been loving my time with it. Got a full party of four and my team is building up nicely. Playing battles on double the speed is a very nice QOL feature. I am really beginning to adore the Dragon Quest series, just lovable, unpretentious adventures with buckets full of personality.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I think I’m ready to move on from focussing so much attention on arcade schmup masterclass Batsugun, not that I’m ever likely to leave it alone for long now I’ve found it, properly tuned into it over the course of this month, and can now consistently see the end in a respectable handful of credits. Beautiful game, and I’m sure a future all-time favourite. I’m continuing my schmup for losers journey with Mushihimesama on Switch now.

After being close to ditching it last week, I decided one more go on Game Pass action-platforming rogue-lite Skul: The Hero Slayer just to make sure I wasn’t missing something that was hindering my progress, and I’m not sure what I did or if that one more to was all it needed, but suddenly I was beefed up, had a roadmap and was striking out on some big runs, which in turn unlocked even more. Getting to a big, big boss and finally running down his energy down to zero just before mine did, only for it to completely refill and then batter me was a bit deflating, but now I know I get can some persistent upgrades I’ll keep going because being fun was never its problem!

When The Cuphead Show arrived on Netflix last week and was as good as it was, it was inevitable that I’d be going back to the sadistic, surreal and absolutely stunning source material, and I still hate it just as much as I love it! The brutal difficulty was just how I remembered it, but So were the perfect controls, allowing you to focus on the relentless trial and error and doing it again and again. . Not sure I need to see it through to the end again to get my fill this time around though!

Also played some of the ten hour trial for GRID Legends on EA Play on Xbox Game Pass. The original is an all-time favourite racer, but as polished as this one is, there’s a bit too much busy work for my liking, and I’m sure I was pressing skip as much as I was accelerate!