Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
MattL

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by MattL »

Sooooooooo, any other Marvel Snap fans here? Did yesterday's patch completely screw the game up for you, like it did for me? I've has as many or more login failures, matchmaking failures, and match disconnects today than I have the entire time several months I've been playing the game. When the game does work, its running super slow. It take 10 to 15 seconds to load in artwork for the zones sometimes. Same for some card abilities. I don't see this being discussed anywhere.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

MattL wrote: February 1st, 2023, 4:49 pm Sooooooooo, any other Marvel Snap fans here? Did yesterday's patch completely screw the game up for you, like it did for me? I've has as many or more login failures, matchmaking failures, and match disconnects today than I have the entire time several months I've been playing the game. When the game does work, its running super slow. It take 10 to 15 seconds to load in artwork for the zones sometimes. Same for some card abilities. I don't see this being discussed anywhere.
Yeah I play every day, but I've not had any issues since yesterday. I'll check to see if it's actually been updated.
MattL

Post by MattL »

Alex79 wrote: February 1st, 2023, 4:57 pm Yeah I play every day, but I've not had any issues since yesterday. I'll check to see if it's actually been updated.
I appreciate that. So far, I think it's just me. No one is talking about it in any official topics anywhere that I can find. Every discussion of the patch is pretty much just fans of Leader crying that they lost their instant win button.
Cornelius_Smiff

Post by Cornelius_Smiff »

Finally took the plunge and started playing Dark Souls: Remastered, and I am very much addicted. Also on the side having been playing alot of Hi-Fi Rush, which is seriously good fun.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Jobobonobo wrote: January 28th, 2023, 5:09 pmThe hunting sidestory is honestly quite a nice diversion and becoming proficient at taking down bears and trapping prey is pretty rewarding.
Oh good, I got deep into that hunting game back in 2016, like proper hours at it, and thought I might just be mad.

Yakuza 5 seems like a throw everything at it and see what works situation. It is a lot of game. I think 0 learns a lot of lessons from it.

I've completed 2 more chapters in Live A Live. The Twilight of Edo Japan involves infiltrating a fortress. Stealth is an option and I did go with a no kill run, although as usual, I feel like I'd have more fun killing my way through it. The Near Future, like Prehistory and Imperial China are the closest to typical JRPGs with town like areas (this one is all in a town, but no fighting areas with NPCs) a dungeon and a typical anime protagonist. A nice 2 hours though.

I'm also still playing a lot of Splatoon 3 on the side
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

Another playthrough of Banjo-Kazooie.

I was so close to finding everything on my own for the first time until I forgot where one of the honeycomb pieces on Rusty Bucket Bay was - bastard!

Also enjoying some GoldenEye 007 and Wave Race. Think I'm on a bit of a nostalgia kick at the moment.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Haven't had much time to game, but I've put in a few minutes here and there on R-Type Final 2, Hydro Thunder: Hurricane and Back 4 Blood. All on my Xbox One. That thing is getting a lot of use this month, probably because I love the Series X controller so much... And because it has a rather large backlog of games had for cheap. :P

Hydro Thunder is a great little boat racing game that, while not overly sophisticated, has a lot of content and a fair level of difficulty. Lots of hidden collectibles too, which I love in a racing game.

Back 4 Blood is... Perplexing me a little bit. It's got gameplay mechanic overload, and it seems WAY harder than Left 4 Dead 2. Far from done with it, but it's not something that wowed me on the first go either.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I started Divinity Original Sin 2 on Switch. I'm about five hours in, and whilst I'm absolutely loving the game, the characters and the sense of place it has, I'm just banging my head against a wall with the complicated systems and combat. I enjoyed Baldurs Gate back in the day, and this is very much a modern version of that type of RPG, but after a couple of decades playing more action focused RPGs I'm really lost! Finding it really difficult managing my party, my inventory and fighting. I've not made it out of Fort Joy yet, which is pretty much the opening area of the game after the tutorial...
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

Alex79 wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 11:48 am I started Divinity Original Sin 2 on Switch. I'm about five hours in, and whilst I'm absolutely loving the game, the characters and the sense of place it has, I'm just banging my head against a wall with the complicated systems and combat. I enjoyed Baldurs Gate back in the day, and this is very much a modern version of that type of RPG, but after a couple of decades playing more action focused RPGs I'm really lost! Finding it really difficult managing my party, my inventory and fighting. I've not made it out of Fort Joy yet, which is pretty much the opening area of the game after the tutorial...
I ended up playing this game in co-op with two friends over the course of year - one of my absolute favourite gaming experiences.

It's overwhelming at the start but stick with it if you can and definitely use some beginner guides/tips - I found those a big help. Also, steal paintings!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I'm enjoying the story so far, might knock it down a level for the battles... I can't even work out how to escape Fort Joy! I've got a key, but can't get past a gate with guards around it. They fight me when I try to open it. I'm also looking for some stolen vegetables, can't find them either! :lol:
MattL

Post by MattL »

MattL wrote: February 1st, 2023, 5:53 pm
Alex79 wrote: February 1st, 2023, 4:57 pm Yeah I play every day, but I've not had any issues since yesterday. I'll check to see if it's actually been updated.
I appreciate that. So far, I think it's just me. No one is talking about it in any official topics anywhere that I can find. Every discussion of the patch is pretty much just fans of Leader crying that they lost their instant win button.
Update: It was just me. For some reason my Pixel 7 started having problems interacting with my router. My router kept trying to assign it a fresh IP address every few minutes, so I had to disable my Pixel's randomized MAC address to fix it. I had no idea randomized MACs were a thing. I thought each and every device had it's own static MAC address.
RinseWashRepeat

Post by RinseWashRepeat »

ColinAlonso wrote: February 1st, 2023, 10:37 pm I've completed 2 more chapters in Live A Live. The Twilight of Edo Japan involves infiltrating a fortress. Stealth is an option and I did go with a no kill run, although as usual, I feel like I'd have more fun killing my way through it. The Near Future, like Prehistory and Imperial China are the closest to typical JRPGs with town like areas (this one is all in a town, but no fighting areas with NPCs) a dungeon and a typical anime protagonist. A nice 2 hours though.
I'm looking forward to starting Live a Live once I'm finished with Danganronpa. I love the fact it's neatly chunked up into different character chapters. Some games you can play for hours and not feel like you've made much 'progress' at all.

I take it you're enjoying it?
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

ColinAlonso wrote: February 1st, 2023, 10:37 pm
Jobobonobo wrote: January 28th, 2023, 5:09 pmThe hunting sidestory is honestly quite a nice diversion and becoming proficient at taking down bears and trapping prey is pretty rewarding.
Oh good, I got deep into that hunting game back in 2016, like proper hours at it, and thought I might just be mad.

Yakuza 5 seems like a throw everything at it and see what works situation. It is a lot of game. I think 0 learns a lot of lessons from it.
Yeah, even for a Yakuza game the sheer amount of stuff to do is wild and reminds me of 0 alright which is a very good thing in my eyes. Finally decided to leave the village and get back to more normal gameplay. Just sweeping up the substories at the moment. Will probably be done with Saejima soon. Shaved head suits him a lot better than that mop he had in the last game.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Speaking of Yakuza, I started the 4th game the other night. I was disappointed with 3 after enjoying 0, 1 and 2, and I'd heard 4 wasn't up to much, but I'm really liking the story and new characters so far.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Been playing Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks and I've been liking it a lot. I've never played an MK game before, although I know this one is nothing like the main series. But as a brawler, this is a really fun time. Hits feel really meaty and hefty, it's got great kinaesthetics that are pretty impressive. There's real depth to the mechanics too, with juggling potential and stuff like that. It does a good job of giving you reasons to actually try to fight well instead of just mashing your way through it. Probably thanks to inheriting mechanics from the mainline games. Although it's not perfect. The lock-on doesn't seem to work very well. If I'm up against several enemies it's not rare for the game to decide it wants to attack in a different direction than the enemy I've got right in front of me, or attacks whiff when they feel like they shouldn't. But generally it's a good time.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Alex79 wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 7:21 pm Speaking of Yakuza, I started the 4th game the other night. I was disappointed with 3 after enjoying 0, 1 and 2, and I'd heard 4 wasn't up to much, but I'm really liking the story and new characters so far.
3 is easily my least favourite in the series, although as Jobobonobo said, Saejima has an awful mop in 4 :D .
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

RinseWashRepeat wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 3:38 pm I'm looking forward to starting Live a Live once I'm finished with Danganronpa. I love the fact it's neatly chunked up into different character chapters. Some games you can play for hours and not feel like you've made much 'progress' at all.

I take it you're enjoying it?
I am somewhat. There are less surprises for me though since I played a fan translation 15-20 years ago so that this is basically a replay takes a wee bit of the sheen off it. Changing scenario every 1-3 hours is nice and some characters have their own unique quirks. It holds up better than I thought. Bit too easy mind.

Nice contrast after my last JRPG last year, Xenoblade Chronicles 3, though.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Got a slew of games on the go already this year...

Dead Space Remake is great. Starts off slow (just like the original) but once the combat starts flowing with 4 weapons in your arsenal the game really starts to flourish.

The open world nature to the ship lends itself to something echoing the RE2 police station and the visuals are incredible now they've turned the VRS off. I thought the Series S was failing me but it turns out the game was a little bit under performing from a tech side. Phew.

Also playing Hi Fi Rush on the side and I'm enjoying it. Not much to say other than the visuals are absolutely staggering and I'm waiting for what ever Prodigy tune they've used for the boss encounter. Keeping it a secret for a surprise.

And I'm getting into Age of Empires 2 again thanks to the Xbox version. I've not played it since the original release and I don't remember it being so dense with information and story.... but as 14 year olds we just set up comp stomps LAN parties and had a blast.

Even hanging about with a Scotsman at the time, it didn't matter the story seemed to be about Scotland battering England with William Wallace. 🤣
See Mi Yah

Post by See Mi Yah »

I'd been playing DayZ on PC but after much stop/starting over the years, across multiple formats, I've now fully and finally decided never to play it again. There's just too much toxicity around the 'scene'. Yes, there's some beautiful stories to be told about benevolent strangers and random acts of kindness, but the underlying sadism and cruelty is almost ever present, especially if you're stupid or brave enough to enter the main servers.

I came across a YouTube video from one of the scene's most popular streamers and the degree of humiliation and cruelty he was inflicting on new players was disgusting, quite frankly. And yes, I know it's not real and nobody got hurt. But bullying is bullying and it can take many forms and take place in various forums, real or virtual.

So yeah, DayZ, a truly one-of-a-kind experience and still the standardbearer for unique PvP encounters both glorious and despicable.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

See Mi Yah wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 9:38 pm ...And yes, I know it's not real and nobody got hurt. But bullying is bullying and it can take many forms and take place in various forums, real or virtual.
That's the thing; it is real. I sometimes stop my younger two from playing Fortnite because their friend group (mostly from school) can be really unkind and they've been in tears on more than one occasion because people are ganging up on them or kicking them from a group. Don't get me wrong, they're just as guilty, but if I hear them being nasty to or about people then I tell them to stop, and if they don't stop they have to stop playing for a while, and I'm not sure other parents are necessarily exercising much supervision over what the kids are doing.