Played a bunch of random stuff this weekend, which is nice, because I have a bunch of new games for the sell pile now.
Blinx the Time Sweeper
- Most certainly from the era of, "wacky =innovative", I found this game to be way too mechanically dense for what should be a 3D platformer. Not really sure why this one is beloved, aside from those pining for 3D platformer on Xbox.
R-Type Final 2
- I love this game to bits, but I'm going to have to shelve it for now... The XB1 VCR is really struggling to run this one at a reasonable level of performance, sadly. It's fine for the first 3 levels, despite some uneven frame pacing, but level 4 really amps up the enemy spam and particle effects, making the performance issues too severe for a game requiring fast reflexes. I intend to buy a Series X this year, so I'll wait til then.
Back 4 Blood
- I picked up the Ultimate Edition of this one physical for $20, not knowing it was on Game Pass. So I'm gonna sell the physical copy. This game is pretty dead though... On a Sunday afternoon, with cross play enabled, I could not find a single player to join my match. Even Left 4 Dead 2, approaching 15 years old, has a fairly active user base. And overall, in the limited time I have had with Back 4 Blood, I find this is a game that is too dense in its own mechanics to be enjoyable. It wants to be a more complicated L4D, and it is... But the simplicity of L4D is what makes it so enjoyable and easy to pick up. Just lots of odd choices here.
I Am Alive
- This is some aggressively gen 7 game design, good lord. I LOVE the premise - navigating a ruined city while foraging supplies and fending off the locals. In a lot of ways, The Last Of Us cribs heavily from this one. But while the climbing and navigation is fun, the combat is garbage. I was unable to get past the first encounter after multiple attempts, and that killed my interest right there.
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs
- I have been told this is an explicitly anticapitalist work, and I'm excited to see where it goes. I only played about 15 minutes before I was hungry and tired, but I'll try to knock this one off before Atomic Heart and Scars Above drop on the 21st and 28th respectively.