Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
Alex79uk

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Alex79uk » September 20th, 2019, 7:01 pm

Yeah, it was brilliant. The combat felt so weighty, crashing that axe down with such a thud.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » September 20th, 2019, 7:04 pm

I bought AI: The Somnium Files and I really enjoyed the hour I spent with it earlier today. A top-tier Uchikoshi visual novel is exactly what I'm in the mood for at the moment. Glad I stayed away from spoilers and going in completely blind. More thoughts to follow.

RetroClarence wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 6:05 pm
Gameplay wise, I'm surprised at just how God of War-ish it feels.
Interesting, I had the exact opposite experience.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » September 20th, 2019, 8:20 pm

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is now on gamepass, so I’ve been playing that this evening.

It’s pretty good isn’t it?

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » September 20th, 2019, 10:09 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 5:43 pm
hazeredmist wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 5:19 pm
I’ve started Axiom Verge.

Alex’s vibes at first with Super Metroid pretty much echo how I feel - I’m about 1.5 hours in maybe, done some stuff, killed a boss, but I’m not sure if I’m really enjoying it. However I do have a weird urge to play it again so I will see where it leads... I do love the music already for sure, and there is definitely something about the atmosphere. I feel uneasy playing it. Other than Yoku’s Island Express I’ve always been allergic to Metroidvania type games, but that’s a special case I think!
Did you see my second post? I'm really loving it now. It really clicked after I restarted it and kind of approached it with a different mindset. The game doesn't care about wasting your time, mind. Several occasions there appears to be no way forward, but one block out of 20 is bombable. There's a lot of trial and error, but it really is a very good game I think.

EDIT: Sorry, you're actually talking about Axiom Verge aren't you! I only ever got about an hour in to that before giving up. I may go back one day, but it's nowhere near top of my to do list at the moment. Seemed OK, but much more enjoyable MetroidVania's are available.

Did you ever play Guacamelee?
Haha no worries - I’ve just come off my second go and I really don’t think this game is for me. It’s confirmed my fears that the genre doesn’t gel and that’s just how it is. With Yoku I felt joy and fun constantly - with this it feels desolate, samey, boring. The backtracking and map stuff is a chore. When I die I’m back to some arbitrary save point ten minutes ago. I simply can’t be arsed and don’t have the time for this sort of game so I’m calling it!

Guacamelee I have on Vita actually and have never really given it a proper go. Is it something that would appeal to someone like me who doesn’t like metroidvanias but likes the idea of liking them? :)

clippa

Post by clippa » September 21st, 2019, 1:22 am

You got a pad handy? Someone was asking for advice on reddit recently and that's always my first suggestion

https://old.reddit.com/r/roguelites/com ... e/ezk8v1a/
If you're not playing with a pad, I'd switch to that. The game has analogue movement and is balanced around the aim assist. In my opinion, you're putting yourself at a disadvantage playing on mouse and keyboard for this game.

I wouldn't bother with the shortcuts, you want to be playing from the beginning every time, getting all the guns and gear you can.

Save your blanks for the bosses and don't take any chances, if you no-miss a boss you get an extra heart container. Don't be afraid to use them as you get 2 at the start of the next chamber.

Play as the marine for your first win. He has faster reload which is great, better accuracy and you get armour too. His starting pistol is great as well, you can get to chamber 4 using it exclusively and rack up a big collection of funky weapons.

Save all your keys until after you've cleared the chamber, you never know when a rarer chest might turn up (From worst to best - brown, blue, green, red, black, rainbow)

You'll learn which guns are great against bosses as you play, try to save at least one decent gun for the boss at the end of the chamber.
Stanshall wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 5:59 pm
Untitled Goose Game
I remember my old internet chum (almost yearly, do you remember him? Did you like him? He was lovely) once saying "dear christ, I'm so glad I got into portal early doors because these `cake is a lie` idiots are insufferable, they would have spoilt the game for me entirely, I would never have played it if I encountered them first"

I remember at the time thinking "well, you're a bit of a mardy tart, unless you're actively seeking out these pricks, they're easy to avoid", but of course I just said "Oh, I knoooow, isn't it aaaawful?"

I'm as old now as he was then and since the reveal and release of ugg, I feel like the pricks have had this big long two year run up and have trampled all over it before I even got a chance to play. I just feel myself snarling whenever I see it now :lol:

I remember Daniel Kitson saying something similar, he was at a gig and some prick was talking loudly on a phone and it took him out of his trance, he looked around the room and it slowly dawned on him that he was surrounded by braying morons, and that started him off worrying if he might be one too just for choosing to be there :lol:

The game seems to have the same twee hipster feeling character design and animation as ooblets. Both took the epic dollar, interestingly, I suppose it's not much different to daddies credit card.
Can't decide whether I like that style or hate it, which means it's good. I like it, I've decided.

I might watch Limmy playing it later, see if that'll thaw me some.

edit: Oh shit, ominous knock, hope that's nothing serious - https://www.twitch.tv/videos/484154627?t=2m10s
Dear christ, can life not just fuck off for a second?

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » September 21st, 2019, 4:32 am

To be totally honest, that's pretty much why I'll never get into Undertale or Rick & Morty or Jojo's Bizarre Adventure or anything else where the 'community' are constantly lying in wait to make a reference but we're old, basically, and we've no doubt done plenty similar with our own in-jokey stuff and we very likely still do. I do find it a bit depressing when I hear kids communicate in memes but is it any worse than me and my mates saying 'booyakasha' five thousand times an hour twenty years ago?

Whether or not Colin Hunt is hammering it, Untitled Goose Game has a pretty funny and rare comic sensibility (for a game) and sometimes things are both really good and also adopted by people who will choke every last drop of life out of them. Sometimes, and this does not come naturally to me, it's also just nice to join in.
Spoiler: show

HONK!

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » September 21st, 2019, 4:36 am

hazeredmist wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 10:09 pm
Guacamelee I have on Vita actually and have never really given it a proper go. Is it something that would appeal to someone like me who doesn’t like metroidvanias but likes the idea of liking them? :)
I'd certainly give it a try. I really liked it. The combat in it is really good, and if anything it's more of a fighting/platform game. There are some Celeste-like platforming sections that are absolutely fiendish towards the latter half of the game, and so many fighting moves to unlock. Its brilliant when you have five enemies on screen and are combo-ing between them. All I'd say is give it a couple of hours.

clippa

Post by clippa » September 21st, 2019, 4:41 am

You fucking honked at meeeee! :lol:

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » September 21st, 2019, 4:45 am

clippa wrote:
September 21st, 2019, 1:22 am
Daniel Kitson
Off topic: Are you aware of https://danielkitson.bandcamp.com/

I've bought everything available on there because damned if it's not the only way to get your hands on any of his stuff, short of seeing him live. I mean there's not even anything on torrent sites other than a couple of old bootlegs that have been floating around for years.

I heartily recommend The Ballad Of Roger And Grace. An exquisitely, heart-wrenching, masterclass of storytelling.

The man is a god.

clippa

Post by clippa » September 21st, 2019, 4:49 am

I am aware. I have social anxiety up the yazoo, but I'm more than happy to set myself back years, drag myself out whenever he's in town. Haven't felt brave enough for a long time, but I've seen him three times and every show I've seen of his has been majestic, better than the last.

You seen this one on vimeo? - https://vimeo.com/ondemand/itsalwaysrightnow

He looks like a hairy cuddly droog in that :lol:

Why did we ever fall out? We're like the same people :lol:

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » September 21st, 2019, 4:52 am

I haven't watched that yet, saving it for when I need it, like a favorite blanket on a rainy day. I meant more are you aware of his Bandcamp page, there are a few shows on there. A couple of free ones, and several low price ones. Worth every penny.

And yes, you're like an algorithm has produced a bot of all my favorite things. But then you've rebelled against your AI and gone a bit haywire. That doesn't mean I love you any less. You're still part of the family. :lol:

clippa

Post by clippa » September 21st, 2019, 5:10 am

Haha, I was worried for a moment that it might have just been a problem at my end and I'd have to explain it, but that makes perfect sense.
superfluous, hyperactive gibberish
hurt me, I'm not gonna lie, but I'm working on it. It was more constructive than malicious, I realised hours later, but it chopped my legs out from underneath me at the time :lol:

Yeah, I've bought all the stuff on bandcamp. It's a shame he's such a self-doubting perfectionist, because I bet there's loads of audio he's hanging on to that I'd gladly lap up.

clippa

Post by clippa » September 21st, 2019, 5:36 am

Here's something you might like. The last one I went to at the Durham Gala, I was drinking red wine all night, there's something about the way I drink wine, I purse my lips and properly sip it, I was getting really funny looks off everyone and just put it down to me being paranoid, I went to toilets and looked in the mirror and it looked like I'd properly done myself up like a 50s pin-up, or a flapper girl or betty boop with those puckered dark red lips

I wiped it out, and shouted at my friend "why didn't you tell me?" and he just laughed his head off.

When I think back to all the different looks I was getting, some of them were of disgust, I remember some guy nodding at me like "good for you, son" :lol:

of course, I had no clue, just trying to act normal, smiling at people, being really timid, I must have looked like a right charlie!

edit: No offence to anyone bloke who'd want to wear lipstick in public, but you can understand that if you're gonna do that in Durham, you'd best do it with a strut and a "yes, and?" demeanour, it was the fact that I was avoiding eye contact and occasionally smiling at folk to build up my confidence that would have made it so weird :lol: Like I was going "sorry. Sorry. Take me home?" Fucking laughed his head off, you can pick your friends.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » September 21st, 2019, 7:19 am

clippa wrote:
September 21st, 2019, 5:10 am
Yeah, I've bought all the stuff on bandcamp. It's a shame he's such a self-doubting perfectionist, because I bet there's loads of audio he's hanging on to that I'd gladly lap up.
There is, he's planning on putting it up there when he gets round to it. I emailed and asked him and was surprised to get a reply!

And yes, 'superfluous, hyperactive gibberish' wasn't meant maliciously, nothing I say ever is.

Re: lipstick. In the mid 90s I'd go out every weekend in Birmingham to the rock clubs or trance parties in full goth face. White face, black eyes and lips, black hair, long black coat. I thought I was The Crow. Got some funny looks on the bus. But times were lighter, and there were a lot more psycadelics around in those days...

clippa

Post by clippa » September 21st, 2019, 7:44 am

Oh, wow! That's brilliant! I knew he was one of the good guys :D That's great news, more to look forward to.
wasn't meant maliciously, nothing I say ever is.
I know that now. You're going in the nice book, the one with the frilly edges.
ThirdMan wrote:
September 21st, 2019, 7:43 am
I don't, unfortunately. I'm completely console-less at the moment and will be for the foreseeable future. I think I'll pick up an old 360 pad though if that will do that trick. There's a handful of games in my Steam library that would benefit from one.
Yeah man, that's what I use, wired 360 pad.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » September 21st, 2019, 7:50 am

Word of advice, though: Pre-owned 360 controllers usually have some noticeable stick drift problems.

It's a good controller overall but not terribly resilient, unfortunately.

stvnorman

Post by stvnorman » September 21st, 2019, 5:14 pm

I’m obsessed with Super Mario World on Switch. Over 30 hours since I decided to have a quick go about 10 days ago, I’ve got 3 of 96 exits left, and am now playing through everything again because I’ve no idea where I can have missed any of them. Hell of a game!

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » September 21st, 2019, 5:18 pm

stvnorman wrote:
September 21st, 2019, 5:14 pm
I’m obsessed with Super Mario World on Switch. Over 30 hours since I decided to have a quick go about 10 days ago, I’ve got 3 of 96 exits left, and am now playing through everything again because I’ve no idea where I can have missed any of them. Hell of a game!
Mate, every time I've been online in the last few days, there you are, plugging away at it :lol:

I think I'm nearing the end of Super Metroid. It's been brilliant. Looking forward to playing Zelda LTTP properly for the first time next.

stvnorman

Post by stvnorman » September 21st, 2019, 7:26 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
September 21st, 2019, 5:18 pm
Mate, every time I've been online in the last few days, there you are, plugging away at it :lol:

I think I'm nearing the end of Super Metroid. It's been brilliant. Looking forward to playing Zelda LTTP properly for the first time next.
Yeah, the wife’s been away with work and I’ve been taking full advantage! Just found one more as the clock went past 35 hours - normal exit I’d missed. Two to go! Enjoyed reading your updates on Super Metroid. That’s next and I can’t wait!

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » September 22nd, 2019, 8:46 am

Inspired by Ksub's recent post, I decide to go through The Room games (well, or at least play them until I've had enough!) I only remember finishing the first one before, although I definitely played some of the second.

Fortunately, it's been so long I don't remember any of the solutions whatsoever in the first game so it's like playing it fresh. It really is an almost perfect, exquisitely designed game, so tactile it's a joy to play. I'm not always a fan of in game hint systems, so some degree of self control is needed if you don't want to spoil it for yourself, but I'm about halfway through and have needed to use it once - I think it was more down to poor signposting in that my phones gyro controls were needed to solve a puzzle, and there had been no indication before that point that this was even a mechanic in the game. But that's really my only gripe so far. Such a good game.