Whatcha Been Watching?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
KissMammal

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by KissMammal »

I also really appreciate the dialogue sounding a lot closer to how characters speak in the books, both in phrasing and in-universe terminology and aphorisms.

A lot about the writing was lazy in later seasons of Game of Thrones, and what really typified this was how they dropped any pretence of having characters speak in appropriately medieval-sounding dialogue. It's a relatively minor thing on the face of it, but its something that really broke the immersion for me.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Watched a film called After Yang last night with Colin Farrell and Jodie Smith in it. Had a lot of great reviews earlier this year and came to Sky Cinema yesterday. I thought it was good but not amazing like the reviews made out. It's a film about the relationship between humans and androids, in parts it reminded me of Ex Machina but only really in theme. Worth checking out though if you're into that whole sci-fi theme/story of humans and robots. Pretty short too and just 90 minutes.
SludgeWizard

Post by SludgeWizard »

Barbarian is easily my favorite horror movie of the year, and one of my favorite movies in recent memory (I almost exclusively watch trashy horror movies and collecting/watching insane, tasteless, and hard to find bad movies is my favorite thing in the world).

Anyways, Barbarian. It's just great.
I was almost reluctant when I went to see it the Friday it opened near me, but other plans fell through, and what the heck, I have a monthly membership subscription to the theater nearby so it didn't cost me anything extra.
It completely blindsided me and everybody else in the theater and I liked it so much I dragged 3 people with me to see it that following Sunday.
Without getting into spoiler territory, it isn't the movie you think it is, which I thought was great because it ended up being something MUCH more to my tastes.
If you like horror movies, you owe it to yourself to check this one out. Go in as blind as possible, the less you know the better. And definitely see it in a theater with people, if possible.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

I watched Shang Chi last night as I work my way through the Marvel films and it is firmly in my top 3 Marvel films. It had everything I wanted, great fight sequences which are the best they have been in the MCU, a simple enough story to follow not bogged down with having to tie into the wider MCU until the very end and great characters and humour. I will admit that the second half is not as good as the first but was still good. That first half is excellent though, the bus fight sequence in particular is perhaps my favourite fight sequence in the MCU so far. Shang has a rubbish costume though!
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Watched The Guard last night. A film directed by In Bruges director Martin McDonagh and also like In Bruges, stars Brendan Gleeson. It's like an Irish version of a buddy cop film and it really good. Gleeson plays an Irish policeman in a small town who works alongside FBI agent Don Cheadle to uncover a drug gang. If you have seen In Bruges, it takes a similar dark comedy/drama vibe and is nearly as good and much better than Seven Psychopaths which I wasn't that into. Well worth checking out on Netflix. 4/5
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Thoughts on the Mario trailer? Thought it looked quite promising.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I thought it looked great, looking forward to seeing it. Visually it looked really nice, seemed quite funny, should be good!
SludgeWizard

Post by SludgeWizard »

Truk_Kurt wrote: October 7th, 2022, 9:08 am Thoughts on the Mario trailer? Thought it looked quite promising.
I was pleasantly surprised.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Anyone watched Rings of Power? What were your thoughts? I quite enjoyed it but I am a very casual LoTR fan.
Cornelius_Smiff

Post by Cornelius_Smiff »

Truk_Kurt wrote: October 18th, 2022, 9:16 am Anyone watched Rings of Power? What were your thoughts? I quite enjoyed it but I am a very casual LoTR fan.
I am very happy with it. It looks amazing and pretty much how I'd want it to look being such a big fan of the movies. I am a massive Tolkien fan in terms of the source material too, but I do not understand some of the vitriol directed at the show. and lets not even talk about the usual idiotic suspects throwing the 'Woke' tag around.

Watched the finale last night and I am super excited for season 2.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

The Banshees of Inisherin

For me it’s thematically McDonaghs deepest film, exploring friendship, loneliness and depression. Quite emotional and thought provoking in places but it all comes with his typical touch of dark comedy. Not quite In Bruges level but mighty close. 4/5
SludgeWizard

Post by SludgeWizard »

Truk_Kurt wrote: October 24th, 2022, 11:06 am The Banshees of Inisherin

For me it’s thematically McDonaghs deepest film, exploring friendship, loneliness and depression. Quite emotional and thought provoking in places but it all comes with his typical touch of dark comedy. Not quite In Bruges level but mighty close. 4/5
I liked it.
I need to watch In Bruges. I tried watching it 100 years ago but didn't finish it for whatever reason, but have heard nothing but good things about it.
Seph

Post by Seph »

I saw that new Scream last night. I wouldn't say it was a terrible film, but the amount of beating over the head it does almost gave me a concussion. While it aimed to be super smart and meta, I just found a lot of it annoying and dumb. And, like every other film in this franchise, it misses the point of the original.

On the flip side, I saw The Menu for the amazingly low price of four euros and thought "this is how you make a clever and tense film with a message" . I went in expecting something a little dry, but it is a lot more fun than it appears and the time flew by. The showing I went to was packed and the moments of comedy went down very well. A definite recommend from me.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

Yeah, The Menu is one of my surprises of the year.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I seem to have settled in to a routine of playing on my Switch whilst re-watching Breaking Bad recently. I'm about halfway through season 3, and plan to watch the spinoff movie again afterwards before moving on to the final season of Better Call Saul, which I've still not watched.

We reached a point a few years back where it got almost boring to hear people going on about Breaking Bad, but revisiting it a few years later, it's really held up well as fantastic television. Easily still in my top five series of all time.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

It would be my favourite, someone has kindly let me borrow their DVD collection of The Sopranos this week though so I will see how I find that stacks up.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've been watching to watch the Sopranos for at least 15 years now and never got around to it. See also: The Wire, The Shield and Mad Men.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Truk_Kurt wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 2:40 pm It would be my favourite,
Watching it again, it's amazing how fast it all happens.
Spoiler: show
In my memory Walt and Skyler had spend ages apart before getting back together and Walt and Gale were working together for much longer, and Jesse even spent longer working for Gus in the lab. In reality all these things are literally just one or two episodes, it all flies by! I wonder if it's because I was watching one episode a week back then, and obviously there were big gaps between seasons.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Went to see Creed 3 and thought it was fantastic. Really well shot film, you could practically smell the sweat coming from the gym and ring! The plot was great and acting performances too. I think the Creed films are now one of the most consistent trilogies in films now as I've found all 3 to be at least 4 star films for me personally. All the more impressive given that I'm not into boxing.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Has anyone been watching the Psychoddysssey documentary on youtube? It's a documentary charting the development of Psychonauts 2. It's been getting a lot of praise and was mentioned on the recent TCGS.