Whatcha Been Watching?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Truk_Kurt

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Watched Fast & Furious 4 last night.

Don’t know why they didn’t stick 4 on the end of the title but anyway…
my overiding thought was that this was a bit dull to what came before, it lacked the bombast and silliness with the stunts the first few films had. The story wasn’t that gripping and too much use of CGI for car chases. However it wasn’t embarrassingly awful like Tokyo Drift. 1.5/5
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Started watching Peaky Blinders again. Only made it to Season 2 when I tried before. I was really enjoying it but just stopped for some reason. Finished the first season last night so will carry on with it over the weekend. My girlfriend refuses to watch it on the grounds the accents are annoying but I know she'd like the show if she actually watched it properly, but what can you do.

Also re-re-rewatching The Office (US). Probably my favourite 'easy going' comedy show ever. It's just such an easy, pleasant watch. Love the characters, and the Pam and Jim saga never gets old. A real comfort show.

And finally, just watching the NBA playoffs most evenings. The 8th seeded Miami Heat beat the top seeded Bucks in game five last night to take the first round four games to one. Classic Heat giant-killing and playoff-Jimmy (Butler) is on fire. Good times.
Will Marley

Post by Will Marley »

We watched Time, a Jimmy McGovern prison drama with Sean Bean and Stephen Graham from a couple of years ago. Pretty bleak but very moving and staggering performances from the leads. Not an easy watch but I think an important one, incredible piece of work.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Will Marley wrote: April 28th, 2023, 8:27 pm We watched Time, a Jimmy McGovern prison drama with Sean Bean and Stephen Graham from a couple of years ago. Pretty bleak but very moving and staggering performances from the leads. Not an easy watch but I think an important one, incredible piece of work.
Ah yeah, remember watching that on TV. Can't for the life of me remember what happens in it but I know I enjoyed it at the time.

Have you seen Starred Up? Really good prison film: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/starred_up
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

Alex79 wrote: April 28th, 2023, 2:58 pm Started watching Peaky Blinders again. Only made it to Season 2 when I tried before. I was really enjoying it but just stopped for some reason. Finished the first season last night so will carry on with it over the weekend. My girlfriend refuses to watch it on the grounds the accents are annoying but I know she'd like the show if she actually watched it properly, but what can you do.

Also re-re-rewatching The Office (US). Probably my favourite 'easy going' comedy show ever. It's just such an easy, pleasant watch. Love the characters, and the Pam and Jim saga never gets old. A real comfort show.

And finally, just watching the NBA playoffs most evenings. The 8th seeded Miami Heat beat the top seeded Bucks in game five last night to take the first round four games to one. Classic Heat giant-killing and playoff-Jimmy (Butler) is on fire. Good times.
The accents are annoying? Don’t you have a Brummie accent! 😂
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Angry_Kurt wrote: April 29th, 2023, 8:34 am
Alex79 wrote: April 28th, 2023, 2:58 pm Started watching Peaky Blinders again. Only made it to Season 2 when I tried before. I was really enjoying it but just stopped for some reason. Finished the first season last night so will carry on with it over the weekend. My girlfriend refuses to watch it on the grounds the accents are annoying but I know she'd like the show if she actually watched it properly, but what can you do.

Haha yes, well not me so much but she has - she says the accents on the show are too fake and it annoys her :lol:
Cornelius_Smiff

Post by Cornelius_Smiff »

Alex79 wrote: April 29th, 2023, 9:24 am
Angry_Kurt wrote: April 29th, 2023, 8:34 am

Haha yes, well not me so much but she has - she says the accents on the show are too fake and it annoys her :lol:
They seem period accurate considering Birmingham would be full of more of the country folk (thicker accents) moving in for jobs at all the industrial centres. Dunno, if that's true but it seems a reasonable excuse to ignore the bad accents ha ha.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

The accents on the show sound more like Dudley/Black Country than Birmingham (and they're quite different accents), although what you said might be true also.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Watched The Karate Kid over the weekend and loved it. Even though It's an 80s film, it made me nostalgic for the early 90s. The Mr Miyagi meme now makes a lot more sense. 4.5/5.

Also watched Fast Five. Thought it was ok, I liked how it was basically a heist film and it had some great set pieces, particularly the finale with the safe. I wasn't as engaged with the plot though and it's clear that they're starting to move away from car culture and more into action film now. Would give it 3/5.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Watched The Game last night. David Fincher is one of my favourite directors and you can really tell it is one of his films. I was enjoying it with all the ridiculous situations that Michael Douglas was put in, until the ending which really soured my view on the film. I can't really go into why without spoiling it but I just thought it was a ridiculous ending which didn't make any sense to me and because of that I can't say it is one of my favourites from Fincher. 3.5/5
Seph

Post by Seph »

I watched Barry from HBO up to the end of season 3, and it's incredible. It's a comedy drama about a hitman who gets sidetracked during a job and ends up becoming an actor. The premise seems a little wacky, but the writing is solid and the supporting characters are a lot of fun. Who would have thought Bill Hader would have turned out to be an incredible director? I hope someone throws money at him to make a Coen Brothers-style crime epic film at some point because he definitely has the chops for it.

It reminds me a little of Dexter, if that show had good writing, acting, plot development, logical storytelling and comedy (I know that's harsh because the Trinity Killer season was actually great, but the rest of the show was mostly trash).
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Saw 2 films over Friday - Sunday

First up was Guardians of the Galaxy 3 which was the best the MCU has been since Endgame outside of the Spiderman films. It was what you would expect from a Guardians of the galaxy film but that's no bad thing. Script is funny as usual and has some heartfelt moments, One to avoid if you don't want to see animals getting hurt though.

Next up was The western adaptation of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. David Fincher is one of my favourite directors and I noticed I have missed some of his films so I'm catching up. I haven't seen the Swedish original version of this to compare but I really enjoyed it. Just tells a really good thriller story with some very dark themes. Seeing Daniel Craig in this makes me appreciate him more as an actor as he brilliantly plays a detective/journalist but a very different one to what he portrays in Knives Out. You can really tell the David Fincher influence too with how it's shot.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I enjoyed TGWTDT as well, and also not seen the original. Great soundtrack from Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross as well, who had previously scored one of Fincher's earlier films, The Social Network.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Has a great cover of Immigrant song at the start, how it was shot reminded me of the opening credits sequence you see in a Bond film.
Tolkientaters

Post by Tolkientaters »

I watched Across the Spiderverse and to one's suprise it's fantastic with some incredible art and animation especially in Gwen's world. Not sure if it quite beats the first one as my favorite superhero movie, but it's up there. These movies are just bursting with creativity. It is part 1 of 2 which they're not nessisarily advertising.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Anyone planning to check out the New Indy film? I'm hoping it's good after Crystal Skull. I quite enjoyed the look of the latest trailer.
nosleeptill0blivion

Post by nosleeptill0blivion »

Started series 3 of The Witcher on Netflix. As much as I feel they dropped the ball with this adaptation I still feel the pull to watch out of curiousity. I hope they see it through to the end just to have a complete version of the story out there.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

Went to see Indiana Jones and the dial of destiny. Despite the critical reaction, I enjoyed it and others I know who have seen it said they did do. Maybe my expectations being so low helped. It’s not on the same level as the original trilogy but it’s much better than crystal skull and provides a nice send off to the franchise. 3/5.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Truk_Kurt wrote: June 26th, 2023, 3:19 pm Anyone planning to check out the New Indy film? I'm hoping it's good after Crystal Skull. I quite enjoyed the look of the latest trailer.
Yeah, taking my eldest and youngest next weekend. (The middle one isn't interested). Looking forward to it!
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

It was good, not a scratch on the original trilogy but much better than Crystal Skull (although from memory I think you said you liked that Alex). It could be better and there is some silly stuff in it like
Spoiler: show
the kid who can fly a place with no training
but it was a good send off for the franchise. I'd give it 3/5.

On a seperate note, if anyone is on Letterboxd and would like to follow me, I can be found here. Share your account with me and I will follow you back.

https://letterboxd.com/trukkurt/