The Last of Us

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Buckled Kipper

Re: The Last of Us

Post by Buckled Kipper »

So many great little touches in this game, but my favourite has to be when Ellie hums to herself. Filled my heart with a little joy in this otherwise bleak world every time.
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

Regarding the ending,
Spoiler: show
my gut reaction as Ellie and Joel are walking back to the dam was "fuck. Joel has to die." That was really the only way I could think of to tie things up relatively neatly, that Joel should die after getting Ellie to safety. I'm MUCH happier that they didn't go that route though, it really isn't a world where fairness and balance seem to have much of a place. The more I think about it, the more fitting that ending seems.
On the 10/10 debate, I think TLOU's review scores are well-earned and entirely justified, despite some of its shortcomings. When I say that I consider it to be the defining game of the generation, I'm not necessarily saying it's the best, or my favourite (I'd put it at about 5th or 6th,) more that it represents the pinnacle of what console games have generally been striving for this gen and distinguishes itself within a very familiar setup.

To be a bit reductive for a sec, it's an almost obscenely violent, post-apocalyptic action horror title with zombies in it, where NPC's sometimes get in your way and your avatar occasionally won't climb a ladder when you want him to. But it's the first one to get so much so right, to be entirely consistent in tone, to have a cast of female characters who aren't ever objectified or designed to make 13 year old boys chain-wank themselves into a coma. It's also the only AAA horror game I can think of that doesn't betray the player with scripted jump scares, despite frequent opportunities to do so. It's not perfect, but my experience with it was definitely a 10.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Buckled Kipper wrote:So many great little touches in this game, but my favourite has to be when Ellie hums to herself. Filled my heart with a little joy in this otherwise bleak world every time.
I loved the attention to detail regarding these random little soundbites, especially the ones where Ellie begins by telling Joel she can't whistle, then as the game progresses she learns - happily announcing her new found talent.

The optional conversations are a must too as they help flesh out the changes in the relationship between Joel and Ellie, some of them were amusing little asides, whilst others were quite pensive in their tone.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Just finished this, man this was brilliant from start to finish. Genuinely excited to see what Naughty Dog come up with for PS4.
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

AndyKurosaki wrote:Just finished this, man this was brilliant from start to finish. Genuinely excited to see what Naughty Dog come up with for PS4.
I personally hope whatever they do next is another new IP. I'd quite like to see ND explore a couple of more IP's and some new mechanics before they return to UC or TLoU.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It'd be nice, but I'd put money on it being Uncharted...
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Will we finnaly be getting that Uncharted Racing game we've all been expecting? :D
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Unkarted you mean?
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

ratsoalbion wrote:It'd be nice, but I'd put money on it being Uncharted...
I agree, if I were a betting man I'd almost certainly put money on Uncharted being the next game that Naughty Dog throw our way and I enjoy Uncharted games, I personally get a lot of enjoyment out of them. I just think they have more ideas than that franchise gives them the chance to capitalize on and actually I think some time on other projects would actually allow for them to create a stronger UC game when they come back to it.

No matter, a man can dream.
3manstack

Post by 3manstack »

Bought this on friday and put around two hours in on the night. Loved the first 20 mins or so but then all the stealthing around and insta-kills by clickers got quite testing. I loved the story but wasnt blown away by the gameplay.

Gave it a few more attempts over the weekends but was only playing it in half hour chunks, whenever I got to a new area and saw a bunch of clickers I didnt have the enthusiasm to carry on.

Today I got to the school part and the
Bloater fight
that seemed to be the tipping point for me, straight away I was enjoying myself for the first time in hours and the subsequent few fights seemed nice and challenging.

My favourite parts of the game always seem to be the scavenging before and after fight set pieces, and the exploring the environment looking for all the little touches.

Also it took me 7.5 hours to get my first trophy in this game! 7.5 hours!!! I was expecting 5 or so to ping in the first few hours.
Quite refreshing though really they all seem pretty challenging to get.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Unkarted you mean?
The more i think about it the more I want it :lol:
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Who came up with Unkarted. I want to hug and punch you. Twice.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Hi!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

*bif*
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Matt Lees - Everything The Last of Us gets RIGHT. First 9 minutes are spoiler free.

Rich

Post by Rich »

I just finished!
Did anyone else really dislike Joel by the end? I'm not saying he's a bad character but I'm pretty sure he's a bad man. I'd like to know if the writer(s) intended the player to like him.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I think the fact that you're meant to consider how you feel about that is entirely the point.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Yep I think that's the point:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... g-Spoilers
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

I think the ending and the way they handle Joel is great. It forces you to perform actions you might not necessarily agree with, but completely make sense for Joel as a character.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Combine Hunter wrote:
I think the ending and the way they handle Joel is great. It forces you to perform actions you might not necessarily agree with, but completely make sense for Joel as a character.
Yeah but I just think a person that those actions make sense for isn't a nice man. In a way I think he was right to save Ellie as she wasn't given a choice about the operation but to kill everyone in his path including a doctor that he could have easily reasoned with or disarmed is just terrible. Also he lied to Ellie about the whole thing!
It does all make sense for the great character that he is but he's a bad man.