The Last of Us

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Sean

The Last of Us

Post by Sean »

So, this is out next week, and, given the 96 on Metacritic, I'm shocked there isn't a thread for this yet.

Anyone excited? Skeptical? In this industry, huge praise almost always gives way to huge backlash, so, I'll be curious to see how it pans out over the next few months.
dezm0nd

Re: The Last of Us

Post by dezm0nd »

Massively excited for this. New IP from the Uncharted folk? Yes please!

The review scores have only inflated my expectations further.
Sean

Post by Sean »

I'm trying really hard to keep myself in check, but it is difficult not to be super excited, what with all the 10s. Where some people were freaking out about the 7.5, I was actually relieved to see it. It kind of tempered my expectations.

I read the reviews yesterday like "you're most likely going to really love this game, but, there IS a chance that you won't find it that great."
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Im preparing myself for disappointment no game with that much hype behind it can live up to it,im still hoping it's gonna be good and gonna try and play it soon,from what I saw from the game it seems stealth plays a big part I just hope it's not that kinda of cheap stealth that only serves for you to take out enemies.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

I'm super excited. But I don't have anything to say yet
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

Well the pre order is in, i dont normally fork out full release day prices for games but after playing the demo my mind was made up. It could be more survival horror-esque than some people are expecting. But i reckon gamers have been crying out for that sort of experience since Resi 4. All in all i dont think i'll be disappointed because i never have my expectations set too high.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Its out four days after my birthday so it comes in handy as a present :)
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

Have this preordered ready for release day. Something I rarely do these days.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

What is it? Never heard of it.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

dezm0nd wrote:Its out four days after my birthday so it comes in handy as a present :)
lol.
Its out ON my birthday. I like to think Naughty Dog timed the release to coincide. This and also the new Superman movie is out on the 14th. I feel a good weekend coming up. :P
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Sean wrote:Where some people were freaking out about the 7.5, I was actually relieved to see it.
Yeah, spotted your comment there near the top. Unfortunately, I get the feeling I'm not exactly Polygons demographic so I usually disregard their reviews and will be doing once again. Some people just need to choose their own point of reference.

I just pray there won't be spoiler threads within a day of release as I get the feeling this game holds a little more in hiding than most. I'll be knocking about on the mp since the old uncharted clan is on board! :twisted:
Indiana747 wrote: Its out ON my birthday.
Same as my girlfriend and childhood mates birthday... as a June boy too we've got a jet force to build by the look of it!
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

I liked that Polygon review as there was at least one point that they made that both Leon and myself commented on whilst he was playing the game the other day and their points are backed up with their video review which shows the issues they had.

That said, these issues are not deal breakers and the game itself certainly looks set to be a benchmark title with regards to performance and narrative within video games with an impressive and emotional opening level that actually quite surprised me with it closing moments.
Dr Mcfluffin

Post by Dr Mcfluffin »

I'm looking forward to having an opinion on this. Set up a pre order for the digital version (they're finally launching things at reasonable prices)...does anyone fancy some multiplayer on Friday?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I am right near the end.
I would neither give it 7.5/10 nor 10/10.
Dr Mcfluffin

Post by Dr Mcfluffin »

Numbers are irrelevant...is it rad? ;)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Pretty much 8-)
Dr Mcfluffin

Post by Dr Mcfluffin »

I'm just looking forward to chucking my headphones on and melting into the game. Naughty Dog (and the actors they employ) do such a wonderful job of creating a natural world, and natural character interactions. Looks so pretty too!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The performances (digital and vocal) are top notch.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Leon since you finnished can you tell me if the stealth can be used to avoid combat encouters entirely or is it the Uncharted aproach in that you can only use it to take down enemies silently until you are discovered?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

There are a lot of encounters that can be avoided altogether, in fact it's highly recommended. Sometimes you are forced to fight (guns, grenades and hand-to-hand) of course.