Saints Row IV and the series in general

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Saints Row IV and the series in general

Post by Alex79 »

I just watched the trailer for Saints Row 4, as posted on the C&R Facebook page.

I thought it looked an absolute pile of shit.

I've not really ever had a close relationship with the series. I never played the first, only playing the demo on the 360 and deciding it wasn't much more than a poor knock off of GTA. I didn't have anything more to do with the games until the second one was given away free on PS+ last year. I'd been toying with the idea of buying it as it had been on sale for a while, and when I decided to get it the price had shot back up so I was pleased when they included it as one of the free games on Plus.

Anyway, I really liked it. I'd fallen out of love a bit with GTA after IV, having much preferred the over-the-top silliness of San Andreas, with all it's jets, rocketpacks and helicopters. Saints Row 2 seemed like it had almost carried on where San Andreas left off, after GTA IV took a more serious approach. I had a lot of fun with the game, and finished it feeling very satisfied.

Still, I never bothered buying the third game when it was released, and only played it earlier this year after a mate lent it me. I enjoyed it enough. The already silly story of the second game seemed to have been ramped up to the max, and it did really take it to a point where it almost detracted from the game for me. I know lots of people really dig that kind of humour, but I don't. The whole tone of the game, the crass frat-boy type jokes and gags really cheapened the whole experience I felt. I found it very difficult to ascertain whether the 'humour' was a complete parody or needed to be taken completely at face value. Part of me would like to think they were being clever, but a bigger part of me genuinely thinks they probably just thought it was actually funny. It wasn't.

ANYWAY - after all that waffle, the trailer for the fourth game? Absolute crap. The jokes are even worse, and what the fuck is with all these aliens? I played Saints Row to fly a plane in to a tank, parachute out, call up some homies and blast the shit out of a pimp den. If I wanted to play some boring generic space shooter crap I'd play a Killzone game. It looked to me like it's totally given up anything that ever made the series 'Saints Row'.

So, what did anyone else think? Any big fans of the series disappointed? Anyone think it still looks great? As I've made clear, I was no huge fan of the series, but I'd have played it eventually. As it is, I very much doubt I'll bother on the strength of that trailer.
Roy42

Re: Saints Row 4, and the series in general

Post by Roy42 »

Alex79uk wrote:I played Saints Row to fly a plane in to a tank, parachute out, call up some homies and blast the shit out of a pimp den.
I feel confident in saying that you'll be able to do that again in Saints Row 4.
Alex79

Re: Saints Row 4, and the series in general

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I guess - it's just the space/futuristic styling I've totally bored with I guess. But then, I'm a sucker for open worlds, so who knows...