Game suggestions for the podcast

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Jobobonobo

Re: Game suggestions for the podcast

Post by Jobobonobo »

A game that I think would make for a really fascinating C&R episode is the "anti-RPG" Moon RPG Remix Adventure. This was a japan only title for the PS1 until some members of the original developers who now work at Onion Games decided to release it in English for the first time back in the summer of 2020 on Switch with PS4, PS5 and PC releases the following year. This game was very ahead of its time not only in doing a day/night system with NPCs having their own routines which you must keep track of but also its subversion of RPG tropes such as healing the monsters slain by the Hero and leveling up by helping people not violence. This was a game I was interested in trying out for a long time and I am happy that it is finally available overseas for everybody to try out. Also of note that despite parodying RPGs, the game itself is more of a point and click adventure with its typical focus on using various items to solve puzzles. Really interesting title with a fantastic soundtrack.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I was quite sure I had added this, but I hadn't. So now I have.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Oh nice one, thanks! Not surprised if you had not added it. It is one of those games that is a massive cult classic to those who know and played it but very obscure to the vast majority of gamers.
FrittteShopClerk

Post by FrittteShopClerk »

Is it too late for Splatoon now that 3 has been out two months?

Mainly because it's the only online shooter I play because the lack of voice chat is actually a God send and you don't have to be any good at aiming to contribute to your team's success.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The Splatoon trilogy is on the list!
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Shatter and Shatter Remastered Deluxe!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Truk_Kurt wrote: November 9th, 2022, 8:56 am Shatter and Shatter Remastered Deluxe!
On the list since 2011.
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

It's possibly already on there but I'd recommend Signalis, especially considering how many survival horror fans are on the podcast.

Great throwback to early Resident Evil/Silent Hill games with a unique atmosphere and storyline.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Good call - thanks for the reminder. Added!
DeadpoolNegative

Post by DeadpoolNegative »

I just completed Pentiment and I hate to say something as cliche as this is one of the best games of the year and would be wonderful to hear discussed on the podcast, but... this is one of the best games of the year and would be wonderful to hear discussed on the podcast.

--Dan
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It's already on the list.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

DeadpoolNegative wrote: November 19th, 2022, 5:04 am I just completed Pentiment and I hate to say something as cliche as this is one of the best games of the year and would be wonderful to hear discussed on the podcast, but... this is one of the best games of the year and would be wonderful to hear discussed on the podcast.

--Dan
How long did it take you? I started it briefly the other night but am trying to finish Witcher 2 before the next gen patch for the third game is released. Wondering if I can squeeze this in...
DeadpoolNegative

Post by DeadpoolNegative »

Alex79 wrote: November 19th, 2022, 1:39 pm How long did it take you? I started it briefly the other night but am trying to finish Witcher 2 before the next gen patch for the third game is released. Wondering if I can squeeze this in...
That's the strange thing: while all the reviews are saying 15-20 hours, and I suppose that's true if you look at EVERY nook and cranny of the game's world at every opportunity it gives you, I topped out at 9 hours 17 minutes. As part of the conceit of the game, you only have so many hours in the day to do things, and one line of investigation will close off another pretty easily. This is a game you have to be very judicious with your time. Although funnily enough sometimes characters will spout exposition over events that I never had the opportunity to uncover.

--Dan
TheEmailer

Post by TheEmailer »

Patreon pod announcement of 2023 soon?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

TheEmailer wrote: December 5th, 2022, 10:39 am Patreon pod announcement of 2023 soon?
Christmas!
Megadirt

Post by Megadirt »

On and off for the past year, or what feels like forever, I've been compiling a list of every game that has been requested on here I'm about two thirds the way through and will update. If you are ever wondering what has already been requested (or what shows have already been made) I made this handy link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

Quite a handy list!

Question to the C&R Team (or most likely Leon) - I know you've revisited the odd game in the past when covering a series (such as RE4 and I'm guessing Castlevania: SOTN is on its way) but would you ever 'split' any games you've previously covered into their own shows, such as the joint Bayonetta/Vanquish episode or say giving Banjo-Tooie its own episode?

I'm guessing not due to the sheer volume of games coming out and games still yet to cover!

Back on topic - I'd like to propose Lost Vikings, IK+ and Phantasy Star Online if they're not already on the big ilst.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Those are already on the list.

In terms of revisiting old shows, I do have some regrets about cramming Mass Effect 1 and 2, as well as Dead Space 1 and 2, into one podcast. But as you say, so many other games to cover.

Noncommittal answer; not ruling anything out or in.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Talking about revisiting games again, I listened to the Dark Souls show again recently. Of course at the time it sounded perfectly fine, and it's still a great show now, but the show has come on so far since then in terms of production values and everyone having good quality mics. Would be cool to hear another take on Dark Souls with a fresh panel!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yeah, the poor audio on that show was a technical error: the contributor had a decent mic attached, but his PC was recording from an internal mic (iirc).

Our production values were higher than that from the beginning, and it was always a disappointment that this happened, but even the 'pro' podcasts sometimes fall foul of such snafus.

No plans to make another Dark Souls show, but I wouldn't totally rule it out either.