Game suggestions for the podcast

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
validated_doomsayer

Re: Game suggestions for the podcast

Post by validated_doomsayer »

Is Night in the Woods on the list? Gem of a game.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It is.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

How about Greedfall?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Already on the list.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Is The Talos Principle on the list?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It is.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Is Live A Live on the list yet?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It is!
Kez86

Post by Kez86 »

If its not already on the list I would like to suggest doing a Klonoa: Door to Phantomile and Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil double whammy episode. Especially with the latest Klonoa Phantasy Reverie Series bringing the two together is glorious HD.

Played them both back on original release for PS1 and PS2 respectively. They are wonderful games and certainly do the 2D/3D platformer justice. In fact they're one of the few in this niche that do it to perfection (Pandemonium anyone?)

Just played through Klonoa: Door to Phantomile again on Switch and I can't think of any game that brings this much joy to my heart. A must play for the Cane and Rinse crew and the forumites.

Also I would love to offer my time in talking about these titles should you need an additional voice. They have been truly Caned and Rinsed in the past and are in the process of being Caned and Rinsed once more.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The becapped cat thing's games are all on the list already.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

I have two suggestions, both indie titles which are influenced by classic titles but which build on and improve what made said titles great.

The first one being Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling, a cute 2.5D RPG in the vein of the early Paper Mario titles. Captures everything that made those games great and mixes it with a more involved battle system, more developed characters and lots more lore. Loved this one to pieces but I would definitely wait until you finish up the Paper Mario series before tackling this one. Will allow you to appreciate it a bit more when you go through the titles that influenced it.

The second title you should try is A Hat in Time. It is an indie 3D platformer which is strongly influenced by Super Mario Sunshine due to its moveset, bright locales and levels split into various acts. But each level is so different from the last with many of them having larger overarching stories, setting it apart from most 3D platformers. It is just a lovely little gem of a game where you can tell the people behind it put their heart and soul into it.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

They're both on the list already. Ryan in particular is a huge fan of A Hat in Time.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Good to know, thanks! Darren will probably get along with A Hat in Time as well. Humour is very similar to what you find in Rare games.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I believe he's completed it too.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Rocket League!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It's been on the list since 2015, but I don't believe we have any major RL players on the team.
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

I know the games are probably on the list but how do you manage/group sports titles?

I imagine certain more 'one off' games like Virtua Tennis or SSX Tricky are easy to discuss in the traditional format but how would you 'Cane and Rinse' series such as FIFA, Pro Evo, F1, Golf, NBA2KXX and the like?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

As with other genres and titles, it depends on what I think will make the best show, and whether or not a single podcast can do any sort of justice to an entire series.

We've done series shows on Kick Off, Sensi Soccer, Punch-Out!! and Championship/Football Manager, but FIFA and the other EA Sports games have now spanned so many versions and generations that one podcast would be inadequate. Obviously we aren't going to do a 30+ issue series of FIFA shows so perhaps by generation is the most logical way to go.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Also, neither Virtua Tennis nor SSX Tricky were one-offs, but each one of a series of half a dozen or so games spanning a couple of hardware generations.
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

Thanks for clarifying!

Didn't articulate it well enough re: Virtua Tennis and SSX Tricky. I feel there's not as many iterations/sequels of these games as there are of FIFA, Pro Evo and the like so they would be (potentially) easier to do/split out. Plus to me the jumps are bigger and more stark between the original SSX and Tricky than say FIFAs 10-15 (which always felt more iterative)

On the flip side I thought Virtua Tennis stopped at 2K2 but there's four or five games after this so what do I know!