The "Introduce yourself" thread

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: The "how do you do?" thread (aka New forum)

Post by ratsoalbion »

Eurgh, not even close.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Welcome, welcome to all those freshly joined members, whether familiar or new - good to have you here! :D
Cress1968

Post by Cress1968 »

ratsoalbion wrote:Eurgh, not even close.
ah you've seen the photos then lol
Leg of Time

Post by Leg of Time »

dezm0nd wrote:Hooray, its good to see ya on here leggo!
Thanks, knew there was a derivation of 'Leg' that I'd forgotten ;)
Xantiriad

Post by Xantiriad »

Probably best known as just "Xan". I am a middle-aged-software-engineer-gamer-dad with skills honed on the ZX Spectrum some 30 years ago: in other words, I’m old, slow and rubbery. I am a proud member, writer and podcaster for GameBurst, [the former] Big Red Potion and the Ninja Fat Pigeons. I’m a Twitter microblogger (@Xantiriad), Mac enthusiast, Real Ale campaigner, and Card, Board & Video Game collector.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

It's really great to see Xan and Leg here, two of the best guys I've known on Twitter for years. Thanks for signing up.

And of course everyone else that I don't already know but hope to become more acquainted with.
LaikaMuttnik

Post by LaikaMuttnik »

ratsoalbion wrote:Shameless!
BAN!

It's great to have you aboard, Chris. I hope you'll post often.
:D

At least that's two of our minorities quota covered off anyway. Now all we need is some women.
;)
Heh here's one woman at least! Even also covering the ethnic minorities quota! :lol:

Some of you already know me, but hello, I'm Chi (pronounced like "Kai"), from Japan, aka Laika, aka Jay's lovely wife ;)
Great to see this forum being so lively, thanks to Jay's hard work to make it and everyone liking it :) Nice to meet you all here!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Of course Chi! I'm so sorry, I forgot you were already signed up and posting. My bad!
:oops:

P.S. Please recruit more women and/or Japanese people! :D
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

Xantiriad wrote:Probably best known as just "Xan". I am a middle-aged-software-engineer-gamer-dad with skills honed on the ZX Spectrum some 30 years ago: in other words, I’m old, slow and rubbery. I am a proud member, writer and podcaster for GameBurst, [the former] Big Red Potion and the Ninja Fat Pigeons. I’m a Twitter microblogger (@Xantiriad), Mac enthusiast, Real Ale campaigner, and Card, Board & Video Game collector.
Hey i'm a big real ale fan too, always on the lookout for new brews :)

and welcome to everyone else too :D
Xantiriad

Post by Xantiriad »

Dante Fireseed wrote:
Hey i'm a big real ale fan too, always on the lookout for new brews :)

and welcome to everyone else too :D
Share away :)

Here's a starter for 10 and a real classic: Espresso, by the Dark Star brewery in West Sussex. Buy it from these places: http://darkstarbrewing.co.uk/beerfinder/ or online http://www.alesbymail.co.uk/shop/pick-n ... esso?pop=0
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

You should start a thread for recommendations. I don't know much about real ales other than I like to drink them on occassion, so having some tips would be cool.
Dukeboxz

Post by Dukeboxz »

Sorry to interrupt the real ale conversation but thought I would just say hi. Although I would say if you get a chance try Red Kite Ale from the Black Isle Brewery (if you can find it) it is a favourite of mine.

Anyway I am Dukeboxz and have been around the GD and character select forums a bit before. Hopefully will be able to get involved with games nights with some of you guys. I would not say that I am on the cutting edge of new games but always happy to go to some of the classics.

Happy for people to people to add me to friends lists my gamer tag is Dukeboxz on most things
countstex

Post by countstex »

Well, as we're all getting formal and doing some proper introductions I might as well jump in too :)

I'm Steve, and I came across this gaming community back in 2008 via The Digital Cowboys, and later GamerDork. I eventually ended up helping out on the forums for the Digital Cowboys so can well appreciate the work Jay has done getting these working so well :) I'm glad to have had opportunities to meet up with quite a few folks over the past four years, from Birthday events, DC & GD meetups and Replay Expo, though now we've moved to Denmark to escape the UK those chances will become few and far between. That said we are closer to Germany now, so Essen might be on the cards one year, plus a PAX trip at some time in our lives would be great.
Oh, and you'll noticed I've been saying "we've" as I am married to Linda, known on the internet and on consoles as PenguinGirl74 who loves herself some Gears of War, Boarderlands or anything with collectibles! ;) We often play in Co-op so are always up for some online fun, when we get some free time.
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

magicjoef wrote:You should start a thread for recommendations. I don't know much about real ales other than I like to drink them on occassion, so having some tips would be cool.
cool, we might end up derailing this thread so I will start one ;)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm Alex, 33, from (near) Birmingham. Been posting on forums since about 2000, gaming since about 1982 or something. I manage a nursery.
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

Wizard Of Odd wrote:I'm Alex, 33, from (near) Birmingham. Been posting on forums since about 2000, gaming since about 1982 or something. I manage a nursery.
I'm Adam, 33, from (near) Birmingham (spooky!) :) welcome!
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

I'm Roy, 19, male, from Australia. I like long walks on the beach on a cloudy day and a person who will just let me wrap my arms around them for no reason other than feeling affectionate.

…Oh, wait; that's for a different website. Um, videogames and shit, whatever.
The Sonic Mole

Post by The Sonic Mole »

Hello!

I'm Si and I live in Leeds, although I'm originally from Leighton Buzzard. I've been playing video games since my Dad bought a Spectrum 48k back in 1982. I'm open-minded about games and enjoy trying as many as I can, whatever the genre. However, I particularly enjoy both Western and Japanese RPGs (I collect the latter), and Cave & Treasure shooters. I'm also a keen football and driving game fan. Away from gaming my main passion is music. I've been collecting psychedelia for the the best part of 20 years and am a bit of an anorak on this (somewhat broad) genre. Other than that I enjoy sci-fi literature, mediaeval history and baking. Plus I'm an occasional illustrator, albeit of average ability. :D
link6616

Post by link6616 »

Hi. I'm Rowan from Australia. I'm a big lover of fighting games along side the strange and wonderful side of Japanese gaming in general. Strange JRPGs, complex action games that make you play faster than you think along side an odd love for Visual novels, doujin games and western point and click adventure games. In my local community I'm also slightly responsible for running my local small fighting game events.

If I could force everyone to play one game, it would be Umihara Kawase. it's not the best platformer, it's not the best grappling hook, but by golly is it the most interesting. I've been playing the two games in the series for 10 years now and still play them regularly. If you love grappling hooks, and who doesn't, you need to get it. The DS collection of the 2 games is around fairly cheap compared to the originals.

Game discussion wise, I'm always really interested in the evolution of games, and also the impact of culture on games and their design.

Found out about this via the digital gonzo casts, started listening to this and got hooked. I look forward to some good discussions with all of you.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

Welcome Rowan, pull up a chair & make yourself comfortable. You have come to the right place to discuss games in a friendly & respectful environment thats for sure. :D