Comic Book Chatter

This is the place where you can confab about all the other stuff besides videogames.
Combine Hunter

Re: Comic Book Chatter

Post by Combine Hunter » September 6th, 2018, 11:13 am

Not sure if this is the right place to talk Captain Marvel, but hey ho. I love the costume now that I've seen what it will be like in the film. It's one my all time favourite Super Hero outfits and I'm glad they've kept it fairly close to the source material

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » September 6th, 2018, 12:03 pm

I’ve got multiple volumes of Y The Last Man by my bed.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » September 6th, 2018, 12:42 pm

Have you read them? One of my top five series ever.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » September 6th, 2018, 12:48 pm

Not yet! They’re Tanya’s and awaiting my attention.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » September 7th, 2018, 6:36 pm

ratsoalbion wrote:
September 6th, 2018, 12:03 pm
I’ve got multiple volumes of Y The Last Man by my bed.
Great series and Brian K. Vaughan writes in a way that moves the reader pretty quickly. If you end up liking The Last Man, he has a bunch of other great series worth checking out.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » September 8th, 2018, 4:06 pm

They are great! In my top three along with Garth Ennis’ The Boys and James Robinson’s Starman.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » September 9th, 2018, 11:17 am

I've just finished Gantz, a violent sci-fi seinen manga which reminds me at times of The Prisoner (the one filmed in Portmeirion), at other times of Berserk as it deals with some quite bleak existentialism (in a fairly heavy-handed way) and has some incredibly detailed art the more it goes on, and at other times the contents of a teenage lad's grubby mind. It starts pretty small and intriguing in scope and grows and grows, bringing in more and more layers and characters. It's told in a pretty straightforward way, however, with plenty of exposition dumps from characters who are as initially confused as the reader.

It's nowhere near as good as Berserk but for a palate cleanser, or the exact opposite, it made for a fun read, very pacey, lots of action, lots of twists, lots of fun little ideas. It's only the second manga I've ever properly read. I'm keen to explore further.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » September 16th, 2018, 4:53 pm

Read a couple of things yesterday.

Dark Night - A True Batman Story

An autobiographical retelling of a mugging Batman writer, Paul Dini, suffered in the early 90's. Quite interesting, a traumatic tale of one man's emotional struggle both before and after the event. Worth a read.

A Study In Emerald by Neil Gaiman

I wrote a short review on my seldom updated blog. If you can't be bothered reading that, I thought the book was OK, but was ultimately unsatisfied with the conclusion. Not one of Gaiman's best works.

Link to blog post here: https://gamesihaveplayed.wordpress.com/ ... il-gaiman/

(Disclaimer: I'm not overly happy with the review I've written. I'll probably edit it a bit when I had more time to think. This isn't one of those pretend it's rubbish for compliments things, I'm happy with the rest of what is on the blog, but I think this review needs a bit of work).

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » September 17th, 2018, 4:53 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
September 16th, 2018, 4:53 pm

Dark Night - A True Batman Story

An autobiographical retelling of a mugging Batman writer, Paul Dini, suffered in the early 90's. Quite interesting, a traumatic tale of one man's emotional struggle both before and after the event. Worth a read.
Yeah, I really liked that one. It's a sad tale for a lot of time, but gets pretty inspiring.