Comic Book Chatter

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
duskvstweak

Re: Comic Book Chatter

Post by duskvstweak »

Recent reads;
Boom Studio's Mighty Morphin Power Rangers comics because it's cooler than it has any right to be.
Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's Fantastic Four run because I never read it and it's fascinating seeing how everything was evolving. Once they start leaning into serialized stories, it really starts cooking.
Gotham Central because I never read it and I've been on a Brubaker crime-story kick. I read it too fast!
Jupiter's Legacy because I'm sucker for Mark Millar. I enjoyed this for the most part. I wouldn't spend $30 million buying the rights and then another $200 million making the show, but to each their own!
Speaking of Millar, Night Club was bad and The Ambassadors was fine.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

What did you think of Gotham Central? It was the first Brubaker work I'd read and it's probably my favourite series ever, I loved it. I've only ever read it once though, keep meaning to have another run through it.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Alex79 wrote: November 9th, 2023, 9:28 pm What did you think of Gotham Central? It was the first Brubaker work I'd read and it's probably my favourite series ever, I loved it. I've only ever read it once though, keep meaning to have another run through it.
Loved it. I might get the omnibus or fancy collections someday. It was sad when I got to the Infinite Crisis era and the book ended.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I was after the omnibus edition for years, but in the end got a nice double pack of hardbacks in a slipcase for about £50. I think it was from Eaglemoss, they may still do it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've read loads of books over the last few weeks.

Ducks: Two Years In The Oil Sands is Kate Beaton's autobiographical story about her time working in the Canadian oil sands. She experiences all the horrors you can imagine a young woman might face in a heavily male dominated, ultra masculine work setting. It's an incredible read and an absolutely gorgeous book. One of the best things I've read in years.

I also read the graphic novel adaption of The Handmaid's Tale. Another truly beautiful hardback book, glossy pages and so nicely presented. You'll likely be familiar with the story, but this is an excellent retelling with perfect artwork.

Also, I've read a ton of DC stuff over the last week. I wanted to make a start on Tom King's Batman run after finally collecting all the books, but decided to go back a bit and ended up reading the DC Universe Rebirth issue one, which explains how the Rebirth universe comes about. But then I went further back and read Flashpoint, as well as The Flash: Year One and Flash: Rebirth. Oh, also Justice League: The Darkseid War. Having never read any Flash at all, I wasn't sure what to expect, but he's a really interesting character with a wealth of history and lore. Really interesting how the character has changed and evolved over the years.

Finally, I just finished Green Arrow: Year One. Again, I'd never read any Green Arrow at all but I loved this. It's a modern retelling of his origin story, where he's left for dead on a deserted island that isn't as deserted as he thought. He battles heroin traffickers and liberates the native population who've been enslaved by the drug farmers. It's a really great book and has led to me now moving on to Jeff Lemire's work on Green Arrow's New 52 series. Looking forward to reading that book next.