Can anyone recommend some PS1 games..?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Can anyone recommend some PS1 games..?

Post by Alex79 »

...which don't really require the use of nimble fingers and / or much use of the trigger buttons?

Ok, that's a really specific question, I know. I've downloaded the fpse PlayStation emulator to my phone and it's all kinds of awesome, runs like a dream, and I'm looking for games to put on it. Obviously stuff like the Resident Evil games etc won't be very easy to control what with needing to hold R1 or whatever plus directions plus X to shoot, so I'm after slower paced stuff more suited to a touch screen phone.

The Final Fantasy games are a given, along with puzzlers like Kula World, and maybe the Theme Park and Hospital games. But has anyone got any other good ideas for PS1 gaming on the go? I never played Chrono Cross before, I loved Trigger obviously but was the sequel worth a play? Might try the Discworld games too.
Flabyo

Re: Can anyone recommend some PS1 games...

Post by Flabyo »

Chrono Cross has a really great battle system and a really dumb storyline.

If the screen is readable enough I'd say Final Fantasy Tactics and Xenogears, mainly as they're my two favourite games of all time.

I'd imagine rhythm action stuff might be pretty playable, Parappa the Rapper, Bust a Groove, maybe even DDR could be fun with simple touch controls.
Alex79

Re: Can anyone recommend some PS1 games...

Post by Alex79 »

Oh yeah good call on Parappa!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Can anyone recommend some PS1 games..?

Post by ratsoalbion »

If you fancy some point and click you can't go wrong with Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars (and to a lesser extent its sequel, Smoking Mirror).

Syndicate Wars also featured optional PS mouse control, as did Command & Conquer Red Alert and Red Alert: Retaliation.

Do light gun games work? If so how about some Point Blank? I guess it would play like the DS version. There's Time Crisis too of course.

Bust-a-Move 2: Arcade Edition (aka Puzzle Bobble 2) is a classic and only really uses left, right and fire.
See also the Super Pang (aka Buster Bros.) Collection, and Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo.

Vandal Hearts is Konami's amazing turn-based strategy game (a la Final Fantasy Tactics).
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Tomba!!! I dont know how Medievil would control but I think it's worth the try it's a great game,Fighting Force might work as well and it's a fun brawler other than that and what was already suggested I can only think of games that require R1 well you might wanna try Gex or Croc if you like pain XD
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

Bishi Bashi Special seems like it'd be a great fit. Also Kurushi, Einhander, Alundra, Grandia, Suikoden 2?

Edit: also, +1 for Tomba!
InsrtCoins

Post by InsrtCoins »

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 and Klonoa, perhaps. The Crash Bandicoot games are great as well. Warped is the best of them.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Suikoden
Broken Sword
Discworld
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII

Just a warning, the brutal timing of Parappa makes it very difficult on Android via emulation. If you were up for rooting your phone you could pair your phone with a DualShock 3 controller and play all your Emulated PS1 games via controller and that would open up every single Playstation game ever made.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm not against the idea of rooting, is it difficult? I've jailbroken iPhones and hacked Wii, PSP and Xbox before so I'm not totally unfamiliar with that sort of thing.

Cheers for the ideas for games all.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

I believe HTC even give a guide on their website. It's not really frowned upon by Android manufacturers, but they do have to highlight the potential issues. As far as hacking goes, it's considerably easier than Jailbreaking an iPhone or hacking anything else really and it does have some benefits too (such as being able to use Greenify on Android.)
The Sonic Mole

Post by The Sonic Mole »

I'd throw Front Mission 3 and Vagrant Story into the mix if you're after good T/JRPGs. Grandia also.

If you want SHMUPS other than the wonderful Einhander I'd recommend; DoDonPachi, Gradius Gaiden, Strikers 1945 II, the Salamander Deluxe pack and the kooky Harmful Park.

Oh, and the first two Clock Towers are interesting games.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've been playing Colin McRae Rally 2.0 on it. It runs so perfectly and ohmygod it's still amazing. I've always said, and I genuinely stand by this, the first two McRae games on the PS1 were without a doubt the best, most fun, best handling rally games ever created. I love them! I've never had a racing game experiece yet (and its one of my favourite genres) to match bombing it down the side of a Greek mountain at full pelt in a Subaru Impreza in the first Colin McRae game. I'm glad playing them again has assured me its not just nostalgia talking.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Does Tomba hold up well? Been flirting with the idea of playing that on one of the many Sony devices around me. PSOne games hold a special place in my heart.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I have it on PSN and it's interesting for sure. Play it so we can podcast about it!
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Tomba is the best! I played up to half of the game last year and I think it holds up so go body slam some pigs!
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

This thread has sent me off down the emulation rabbit hole. Memories are being crushed :cry:

Turns out Omega Boost and Einhander are both still brilliant.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Alex79uk wrote:I've been playing Colin McRae Rally 2.0 on it. It runs so perfectly and ohmygod it's still amazing. I've always said, and I genuinely stand by this, the first two McRae games on the PS1 were without a doubt the best, most fun, best handling rally games ever created.
In a world where RalliSport Challenge 2 exists, this can't be true ;-)
MAp

Post by MAp »

I agree with The Sonic Mole Vagrant Story story could work as I think I remember you only really needing some kind of precision on the face buttons for combos? Also that game can still look beautiful on a HD tv so who know what kind of splendour you'd see on a phone!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ah Vagrant Story I actually have bought on the PSN store ages ago but I might try it on the phone too as you can upscale them yo high def, Colin McRae looks great!
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Alex79uk wrote:I've been playing Colin McRae Rally 2.0 on it. It runs so perfectly and ohmygod it's still amazing. I've always said, and I genuinely stand by this, the first two McRae games on the PS1 were without a doubt the best, most fun, best handling rally games ever created. I love them! I've never had a racing game experiece yet (and its one of my favourite genres) to match bombing it down the side of a Greek mountain at full pelt in a Subaru Impreza in the first Colin McRae game. I'm glad playing them again has assured me its not just nostalgia talking.
I really enjoyed the PS1 TOCA games, have you given them a whirl?